Storacell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35

Thread: Lidl red Tronic battery test

  1. #1
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kavlinge, Sweden
    Posts
    47

    Default Lidl red Tronic battery test

    I got a bunch of these the other week. They were really dirt cheap (<$5 for 4AAA, 4AA, 2C or 2D) so I wasn't expecting to much. However, 'instant' NiMH at this price especially C and D sizes which are uncommon here were irresistible. After reading about a man being unlucky with his in another thread I decided to do some tests. I have a Technoline (LaCrosse) BC-900 so I can measure the AAA and AA cells. I will update this post with more results later.

    The AAA are rated 850mAh, AA 2100mAH, C 4000mAh and D 4500mAh.

    AA batteris.
    They were all made 201006.

    First full charge/discharge/charge cycle:
    battery capacity %_of_stated
    1 1.998Ah 95
    2 2.08Ah 99
    3 2.09Ah 99.5
    4 2.18Ah 104
    Second full charge/discharge/charge cycle with AA:
    battery capacity %_of_stated
    1 2.10Ah 100
    2 2.15Ah 102
    3 2.19Ah 104
    4 2.18Ah 104
    Now they will rest for a while and we will see if they really are low self discharge.
    Last edited by KentS; 10-21-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Updated with second cycle of AA

  2. #2
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Galicia, Spain
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Do the 'Instand' word means LSD? Right now I am not aware of really bad LSD cells (praying for this not to change in the future).

    I never saw a LSD tronic before and my experience with them goes from the old 1700 mAh to the 2300 mAh and 2500 mAh cells. There was a 2000 mAh version with the same appearance as the 2500 mAh. They just changed the number in the label.

    I never got those results with any of them (regular NiMH)

  3. #3
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kavlinge, Sweden
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    This was the first time I tried Lidl cells. They should be some sort of eneloop-clone, probably only rebranded cells. I got their C/D charger too.

  4. #4
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Suomi, Finland
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    I have 8 Tronic 2500 mAh batteries and the best one so far clocks 1400 mAh, running BC900 refresh again and again. These are extreme HSD batteries, after a few days on the shelf after charging and they are almost dead.

    I should have known. I've had some of their older, 2100 mAh batteries that were almost as bad. Well, they cost next to nothing, but I'll try to return them. Not really because of the money, they were 2 eur 4 pc, but in principle I think they deserve the feedback.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Galicia, Spain
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Quote Originally Posted by KentS View Post
    This was the first time I tried Lidl cells. They should be some sort of eneloop-clone, probably only rebranded cells. I got their C/D charger too.
    Good news if they are LSD

  6. #6
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,941

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    I am interested in this thread as next Thursday in the UK,they will have pre charged ready to go batteries on sale at a very nice price.I use four brands Eneloop-Duracell-Endepro and Instants.

    The standard rechargeable Tronic brand I have bought before are ok for a couple of years but then you need to replace them but first time I have seen the "ready to go" for sale in the UK.

    I am going to try a pack of AAA and AA just because for the price worth a go and I need extra stock to feed my growing collection.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    EDIT: the two battery`s that i only got around 20mah on the first discharge test, I decided to discharge them again and again and the discharge capacity is going up and up, it currently at 131 and 162mah, strange?

    Just bought a couple of packs of pre-charged red AA 2100mah made 2010/06

    All had a voltage of 1.29 volts , I put them in my C9000 on a 200mah discharge 0.2C , and two out of four were flat less than 20mah , the other two had around 200/250mah left in them.

    This is poor after 10months since manufacture they should have had 75-80% charge left, so what went wrong, they looked so great in the review in post 1.

    I am going to give them a full charger/discharge and see what the capacity is like.

    John.

    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...99/front-1.jpg

    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...999/back-1.jpg
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 03-25-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Strange , I am now getting an discharger of 344mah and 375mah and stiill going for the two battery`s that only discharged 20mah before, by repeating the discharge, these battery have not been charged by me can anybody explain?

    Also the voltage has gone up from 1.04v to 1.06v as the battery discharges, very strange.

    Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    EDIT: the two battery`s that i only got around 20mah on the first discharge test, I decided to discharge them again and again and the discharge capacity is going up and up, it currently at 131 and 162mah, strange?

    Just bought a couple of packs of pre-charged red AA 2100mah made 2010/06

    All had a voltage of 1.29 volts , I put them in my C9000 on a 200mah discharge 0.2C , and two out of four were flat less than 20mah , the other two had around 200/250mah left in them.

    This is poor after 10months since manufacture they should have had 75-80% charge left, so what went wrong, they looked so great in the review in post 1.

    I am going to give them a full charger/discharge and see what the capacity is like.

    John.

    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...99/front-1.jpg

    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...999/back-1.jpg
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 03-25-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  9. #9
    Silver Moderator
    SilverFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    11,586

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Hello John,

    I believe you are seeing the results of a passivation layer being dissolved.

    Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

    Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Hi. Tom

    I have never seen this happen before, should i be worried about the usability of these battery`s , both problems battery`s have now discharged 748mah and 778mah, dying to see how close to 2100mah i get.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello John,

    I believe you are seeing the results of a passivation layer being dissolved.

    Tom
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  11. #11
    Silver Moderator
    SilverFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    11,586

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Hello John,

    I don't think it is something to worry about. It just seems to be how the low self discharge cells work. Over time they seem to go to sleep, but once you start using them the come back to normal life. If the capacities drop, then you can start to worry.

    Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

    Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    I have bought 4 AA and 4 AAA Tronic cells about 7 months ago in a Lidl store in Sweden.

    AA 1: 1666(out of the box),2002,2064,1897,1660(charged in 30min charger),1897,1977,1955,2021,2029
    AA 2: 1715(out of the box),1968,2087,1868,700(charged in 30min charger),1959(charged in 30min charger),1964,1976,2056,2048
    AA 3: 1718(out of the box),2057,2073,1986,700(charged in 30min charger),2010,2007,1969,unknown,1992,2016,2079
    AA 4: 1620(out of the box),2037,2060,1967,700(charged in 30min charger),1954(charged in 30min charger),1998,1989,unknown,1973,2021,2057

    Apart from the too early termination from a 30min charge, these cells really performed well!
    Charging at 0.1C to 2C, mostly done at around 0.3C to 0.8C.
    Discharging mostly at 0.25C.
    Only my Sanyo XX cells perform better, looking only to the LSD cells I own.

    AAA's:
    1: 755,789,545,738,769,763
    2: 685,756,542,708,752
    3: 723,801,779,790,790
    4: 772,793,793,822,797

    Charging at 0.1 to 1C, mostly at 0.5 to 1C.
    Discharging mostly at 0.35C.
    Somehow the charging must have terminated too soon as well here, but good performance again!
    My LSD TopCraft Aldi AAA cells outperform these ones by 5%. I do not have TopCraft AA LSD cells.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Battery were made 2010/06 that`s 10 months old.

    Out of box discharge capacity below.

    AA 1: 1596mah (out of the box), that`s 76% of the 2100mah capacity
    AA 2: 1680mah (out of the box), that`s 80% of the 2100mah capacity
    AA 3: 1689mah (out of the box), that`s 80% of the 2100mah capacity
    AA 4: 1755mah (out of the box), that`s 83% of the 2100mah capacity
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  14. #14
    *Flashaholic* Mr Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,390

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    Battery were made 2010/06 that`s 10 months old.

    Out of box discharge capacity below.

    AA 1: 1596mah (out of the box), that`s 76% of the 2100mah capacity
    AA 2: 1680mah (out of the box), that`s 80% of the 2100mah capacity
    AA 3: 1689mah (out of the box), that`s 80% of the 2100mah capacity
    AA 4: 1755mah (out of the box), that`s 83% of the 2100mah capacity
    You are hurting my eyes using the back tick (`) in all your posts. Can you not find the apostrophe (') on your keyboard?
    Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* srfreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    918

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
    You are hurting my eyes using the back tick (`) in all your posts. Can you not find the apostrophe (') on your keyboard?
    Does it matter?

  16. #16
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Now Lidl is selling Tronic eco cells (2100 mAh) (4 cells for 3.99 Euro). The packaging is green and the cells are black with orange labelling (energy 2100). DOP 06/2011.

    Since you wrote about 'red' Tronic cells they seem to have changed the outfit.

  17. #17
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    The new Lidl Tronic AA are still a little bit disappointing. I tested a set of 4.

    1) Discharge out of the box @500mA with a CM 420:
    1628 1633 1635 1660 mAh
    These values seem to be quite good if the production date 06/2011 is correct. I can discharge from Eneloops from 06/2011 only about 1400 (I assume that were originally not full)

    2) Charge @1000mA, DisCharge @500mA with a CM 420:
    1865 1873 1871 1897 mAh

    3) Charge @1000mA, DisCharge @500mA with a CM 420:
    1890 1888 1896 1925 mAh

    4) Break-In with a C-9000:
    1917 1915 1911 1934 mAh

    Discharge & Break-In values are lower than expected.
    The packaging says that the full capacity will be reach only after 5 times charging cycles. So I will continue to cycle.
    Last edited by DT 123; 01-17-2012 at 03:56 AM.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Galicia, Spain
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    I don't think they are dissapointing. There is little capacity variation between samples and for me is a good sign. I preffer a well made and robust cell over a few mAh more (that's why I like eneloops instead high capacity cells).

  19. #19
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    I hoped to get 3-4% more capacity than with the eneloops. Also knowing that I will certainly not get it.
    But i get about 2% less capacity (although as 2100 labelled).

    Thats why I said a little bit disappointing.

    But the cells seem to be very constant:

    17.01.2012 CM 420 DisCharge 500mA 1978 1968 1974 1996 (these are the results after the Break-In)
    17.01.2012 CM 420 Charge 1000mA 2055 2055 2072 2088
    17.01.2012 CM 420 DisCharge 500mA 1904 1903 1916 1938
    17.01.2012 CM 420 Charge 500mA 2151 2102 2102 2143
    Edit:
    18.01.2012 CM 420 DisCharge 500mA 1871 1861 1870 1891
    18.01.2012 CM 420 Charge 500mA 2111 2119 2128 2144
    19.01.2012 CM 420 DisCharge 500mA 1882 1883 1890 1916
    Last edited by DT 123; 01-19-2012 at 03:35 AM.

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Lidl has got the ready to use battery`s back in again for £2.99 a pack. for AA AAA C D 9V

    I bought a couple of packets of the AA 2300mah battery`s

    John.

    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  21. #21
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,941

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    After buying them a couple of years back and using them, they are ok but i will not be buying any more would rather spend the extra on Eneloop.
    Sent from my Mobile using my fingers.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    I also recently bought some of the (new?) Lidl Tronic Eco LSD batteries that are shown in Tinderbox's post above; I got a pack each of AA & AAA. As I couldn't find any testing on them I thought I'd have a go, as I've been helped a lot by similar tests here & elsewhere in the past. Although by the time I've finished Lidl will probably have sold out! I must stress I'm no expert, so please be gentle with comments! Also not sure if this warrants a whole new thread?

    I have an AccuPower IQ-328 charger which I'm still getting used to (incidentally does anyone know if there's a way on this unit to just measure how much juice a battery has left without actually dis/charging?) so again you'll need to bear with me as far as technical info goes.

    So the AAAs first...

    The pack states 950mAh, and that "Batteries require approx. 5 charge cycles to reach full charge capacity", as I said I don't know how to just measure existing / initial power, so ran them through a discharge / charge cycle at 250 / 500 mA. When the unit displayed 'Full', the results showed:

    Battery 1 - 900 mAh
    Battery 2 - 955 mAh
    Battery 3 - 984 mAh
    Battery 4 - 944 mAh

    Now as a novice I was a bit surprised at these results - they sound a bit too good to be true? But I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts...

    I carried on with three more discharge / charge cycles, to see how the results progressed, and there were a few oddities...

    Battery 1 - 889 / 845 / 896 mAh
    Battery 2 - 978 / 1007 / 994 mAh
    Battery 3 - 1057 / 1300* / 994 mAh
    Battery 4 - 942 / 982 / 962 mAh

    So you can see that some went down then up, some went up then down, and one (marked with a *) showed no sign of stopping, just kept rising until I decided to pull the plug - I'm guessing this was a random charger glitch, rather than a cell issue...?? At no point were they showing any signs of overheating, in fact they were all just room temperature.

    I'll run some more cycles, and try to use them in some devices, and post more findings soon. Also will do the same with the AAs (rated 2300 mAh), just running first cycle now and the results so far are -

    Battery 1 - 2300 mAh
    Battery 2 - 2510 mAh
    Battery 3 - 2600 mAh (and still rising...)
    Battery 4 - 2420 mAh

    Cheers - Jos

  23. #23
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    I had to do three charge discharge cycles in my Maha C9000 before i could get the 8x AA Lidl Eco 2300mah battery to even get above 2200mah.

    John.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  24. #24
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,941

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Quote Originally Posted by Jos90 View Post
    I also recently bought some of the (new?) Lidl Tronic Eco LSD batteries that are shown in Tinderbox's post above; I got a pack each of AA & AAA. As I couldn't find any testing on them I thought I'd have a go, as I've been helped a lot by similar tests here & elsewhere in the past. Although by the time I've finished Lidl will probably have sold out! I must stress I'm no expert, so please be gentle with comments! Also not sure if this warrants a whole new thread?

    I have an AccuPower IQ-328 charger which I'm still getting used to (incidentally does anyone know if there's a way on this unit to just measure how much juice a battery has left without actually dis/charging?) so again you'll need to bear with me as far as technical info goes.

    So the AAAs first...

    The pack states 950mAh, and that "Batteries require approx. 5 charge cycles to reach full charge capacity", as I said I don't know how to just measure existing / initial power, so ran them through a discharge / charge cycle at 250 / 500 mA. When the unit displayed 'Full', the results showed:

    Battery 1 - 900 mAh
    Battery 2 - 955 mAh
    Battery 3 - 984 mAh
    Battery 4 - 944 mAh

    Now as a novice I was a bit surprised at these results - they sound a bit too good to be true? But I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts...

    I carried on with three more discharge / charge cycles, to see how the results progressed, and there were a few oddities...

    Battery 1 - 889 / 845 / 896 mAh
    Battery 2 - 978 / 1007 / 994 mAh
    Battery 3 - 1057 / 1300* / 994 mAh
    Battery 4 - 942 / 982 / 962 mAh

    So you can see that some went down then up, some went up then down, and one (marked with a *) showed no sign of stopping, just kept rising until I decided to pull the plug - I'm guessing this was a random charger glitch, rather than a cell issue...?? At no point were they showing any signs of overheating, in fact they were all just room temperature.

    I'll run some more cycles, and try to use them in some devices, and post more findings soon. Also will do the same with the AAs (rated 2300 mAh), just running first cycle now and the results so far are -

    Battery 1 - 2300 mAh
    Battery 2 - 2510 mAh
    Battery 3 - 2600 mAh (and still rising...)
    Battery 4 - 2420 mAh

    Cheers - Jos
    It is all very well doing tests but nothing like using them in real life and to be honest they are not worth the money as there length of working service is dire.
    Sent from my Mobile using my fingers.

  25. #25
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    I have been using the RED Lidl rechargeable battery`s for a few years now, and have had no problems, hopefully these ones will be the same, Eneloops are more than double the price of these in the UK

    John.
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 11-14-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  26. #26
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,941

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    I have been using the RED Lidl rechargeable battery`s for a few years now, and have had no problems, hopefully these ones will be the save, Eneloops are more than double the price of these in the UK

    John.
    Lucky you mine have been junksville but ok for alarm clocks etc.
    Sent from my Mobile using my fingers.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    It is all very well doing tests but nothing like using them in real life and to be honest they are not worth the money as there length of working service is dire.
    I completely agree, but as these will only be on sale for a limited time I thought charging tests / results would be the only quick way to get indications of capacities. And my curiosity has been raised by these initial figures - if they'd have come up at 500 mAh I'd have dismissed them as the cheapo rubbish I suspected they'd be...

    By "length of working service" do you mean useable life i.e. after a certain time (weeks? months? years?) the capacity declines and they need to be binned, or just how long they last (days? hours? minutes?!?) in a given device before they need recharging?

    If it's the former do you have some examples, and if so are they exactly the same model, as it would appear from this thread that they have changed over the years (although maybe only in looks?)

    I'm going to try some 'real life' tests too, nothing scientific just try to compare how long they power a certain device (flashlight?) against hybrios or recykos.

    Cheers - Jos

  28. #28
    Flashaholic* RetroTechie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hengelo, NL
    Posts
    600

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    After buying them a couple of years back and using them, they are ok but i will not be buying any more would rather spend the extra on Eneloop.
    Unfortunately, that tells us something about those cells bought a couple of years back, not about what Lidl is selling now.

    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    It is all very well doing tests but nothing like using them in real life and to be honest they are not worth the money as there length of working service is dire.
    Same thing: either you're talking about cells that were on the market years ago (which doesn't help to determine how good/bad currently sold cells are). Or you're talking about currently sold cells, read: you can't make a fact-based statement about their service life - yet. Unless it's so bad it shows after just a few cycles.

    I bought a pack of AAA's (rated 950 mAh) and 9V block (200 mAh), and 3 packs of the 2300 mAh AA "Tronic eco" shown above, especially to replace alkalines in rarely used / low-drain devices. Like the myriad of 1x AA quartz clocks in our house. If they are indeed LSD cells (looks that way ), and @ just 1 Euro/cell, very few recharge cycles would do to start saving money. And no need to run out & buy new pack of AA batteries all the time! For that purpose they've done fine so far. Given their price I don't expect much, so (to me) any other uses for which they proof suitable are a bonus. I've also got a pack of non-LSD AA's which Lidl sold recently (different color labeling/packaging), which I only bought for comparison and tbh expect to be utter trash.

    Some months ago there were similar looking LSD NiMH's for sale at Lidl. Which IIRC had slightly lower mAh ratings, and some very minor differences in the labeling. All of these "Tronic eco" cells that I've seen, have a production year/month printed on them. These 2300 mAh AA's have the name of a German company on them (EURES GmbH), which I suspect is just rebadging/packaging cells produced by a 3rd party. So it's anyone's guess who produced the actual cells.

    Funny thing is, none of these Tronic cells fit into a 2x AA flashlight I also bought @ Lidl recently...
    Last edited by RetroTechie; 11-15-2013 at 11:29 PM.

  29. #29
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,941

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Quote Originally Posted by RetroTechie View Post
    Unfortunately, that tells us something about those cells bought a couple of years back, not about what Lidl is selling now.


    Same thing: either you're talking about cells that were on the market years ago (which doesn't help to determine how good/bad currently sold cells are). Or you're talking about currently sold cells, read: you can't make a fact-based statement about their service life - yet. Unless it's so bad it shows after just a few cycles.

    I bought a pack of AAA's (rated 950 mAh) and 9V block (200 mAh), and 3 packs of the 2300 mAh AA "Tronic eco" shown above, especially to replace alkalines in rarely used / low-drain devices. Like the myriad of 1x AA quartz clocks in our house. If they are indeed LSD cells (looks that way ), and @ just 1 Euro/cell, very few recharge cycles would do to start saving money. And no need to run out & buy new pack of AA batteries all the time! For that purpose they've done fine so far. Given their price I don't expect much, so (to me) any other uses for which they proof suitable are a bonus. I've also got a pack of non-LSD AA's which Lidl sold recently (different color labeling/packaging), which I only bought for comparison and tbh expect to be utter trash.

    Some months ago there were similar looking LSD NiMH's for sale at Lidl. Which IIRC had slightly lower mAh ratings, and some very minor differences in the labeling. All of these "Tronic eco" cells that I've seen, have a production year/month printed on them. These 2300 mAh AA's have the name of a German company on them (EURES GmbH), which I suspect is just rebadging/packaging cells produced by a 3rd party. So it's anyone's guess who produced the actual cells.

    Funny thing is, none of these Tronic cells fit into a 2x AA flashlight I also bought @ Lidl recently...
    I will buy the latest pack and give them a try,will always do for alarm clocks etc.By the way i am jist about to bin a Lidl 3 mode Led torch,silly thing is starting to flicker and i cannot be bothered to try anything else than cleaning the contacts etc and with over 50 in the collection i am sur another Lidl will come along at the right price soon.
    Sent from my Mobile using my fingers.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

    Update on AAA 950mAh and AA 2300mAh

    Fifth & final discharge / charge for AAAs came in with -

    AAA1 - 978
    AAA2 - 933
    AAA3 - 1022
    AAA4 - 980

    I also tried three of them in a fairly powerful cheapo LED flashlight (which is marked as CREE XML-T6 but, yes, I'm aware it almost definitely isn't!) and it lasted all day without dimming (at which point I put them through another dis / charge cycle).

    And a couple more discharge / charge cycles for the AAs -

    AA1 - 2480 / 2470
    AA2 - 2380 / 2310
    AA3 - 2530 / 2420
    AA4 - 2340 / 2440

    I also tried them in a DAB radio and they lasted all day, plus half of the next day before I put them through another dis / charge cycle.

    Well I hope this has helped, as I said in my first post I just thought that as these particular 'edition' of Lidl LSD Eco Tronics didn't appear to have been tested or reviewed that I would have a go.

    So it would appear (to me - I appreciate it's subjective...) that their capacity & performance is satisfactory / good , and they're significantly cheaper than Eneloops, Hybrios, ReCykos etc., but as others have commented the lifespan may be an issue. Unfortunately that is something that only time will tell - if I remember I'll try to come back in a few years with an update, by which time the technology / capacity / colour scheme will have changed again...!

    Cheers - Jos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •