RMSK, Inc.        
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lidl red Tronic battery test

Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

Another data point concerning Lidl's "Tronic eco" AA 2300 mAh: (the green/black labeled ones, pictured earlier in this thread)

So far they've worked fine for me capacity-wise. BUT... some time ago my gf had a pair in a digital camera, and it wouldn't power up (or rather: showed "replace battery" when done so). At the time I ignored it as 'probably forgot to charge before use'.

But today I saw the same thing with a pair of these Tronic eco's, which I know had been charged about 1 month ago, and sat unused since then. A pair of Eneloops charged around the same time, worked fine. Also (afaict) these Tronic eco's do hold their charge in the low-self-discharge sense.

Conclusion: seem to be okay so far capacity and self-discharge wise, but high-current capability might not be good. Sorry... can't be bothered to try and do some measurements on this. Just giving you peeps the heads-up.

P.S. There's also 2100 mAh's out there, which might not be the same thing. And ehm... don't confuse with the red Tronics - totally different beast.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroTechie View Post
    And ehm... don't confuse with the red Tronics - totally different beast.
    My earlier suspicion confirmed... A pack of the red Tronics I bought for comparison (2500 mAh), were shelved fully charged. Just 3 weeks later, less than half charged. So self-discharge is annoyingly high on these red Tronics.

In the charger they got very hot, which is a bad sign as well. Otoh, they did power up fine in that digital camera mentioned earlier.

Of course things can only get worse as the cells age. So from what little I've seen so far, I decided to waste no more time on them, and discard / give 'em away. Imho, only useful to power stuff that goes through a set of batteries a day, such that even rechargeables are treated as consumeables. Children's toys come to mind... For any other use: utter crap.

The "Tronic eco" ones seem perfect for what I bought 'em for (wall clocks, remotes etc), and that camera is on Eneloops now.

I just had my camera reject my trusty and surprisingly working Duracell 2650's. They were right out of the charger too. These batteries work fine in anything else I put them in. Perhaps cameras are unusually sensitive. My camera works fine with eneloops, Duracell 2450's and duraloops. But it wouldn't power up with the 2650's.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by RetroTechie View Post
    Another data point concerning Lidl's "Tronic eco" AA 2300 mAh: (the green/black labeled ones, pictured earlier in this thread)

So far they've worked fine for me capacity-wise. BUT... some time ago my gf had a pair in a digital camera, and it wouldn't power up (or rather: showed "replace battery" when done so). At the time I ignored it as 'probably forgot to charge before use'.

But today I saw the same thing with a pair of these Tronic eco's, which I know had been charged about 1 month ago, and sat unused since then. A pair of Eneloops charged around the same time, worked fine. Also (afaict) these Tronic eco's do hold their charge in the low-self-discharge sense.

Conclusion: seem to be okay so far capacity and self-discharge wise, but high-current capability might not be good. Sorry... can't be bothered to try and do some measurements on this. Just giving you peeps the heads-up.

P.S. There's also 2100 mAh's out there, which might not be the same thing. And ehm... don't confuse with the red Tronics - totally different beast.
    I just had my camera reject my trusty and surprisingly working Duracell 2650's. They were right out of the charger too. These batteries work fine in anything else I put them in. Perhaps cameras are unusually sensitive. My camera works fine with eneloops, Duracell 2450's and duraloops. But it wouldn't power up with the 2650's.
    Digital cameras use 3.7 V Li-ion cells. NiMH recharchables have a nominal voltage of 1.2V. It would be pretty surprising if your camera ran on those.

They may look the same, since both sorts are of the AA size variety, but are really different.

Registered here just to point this out, you people made me a huge favour. I'm buying those Lidl batteries tomorrow to use with a battery powered guitar amp and could not find cheap quality cells anywhere, also got duped by cheapo chinese 800 mAh "3100 mAh" cells like a sucker.

I have both Tronic Energy 2500 and Tronic Energy Eco 2100mAh for more than 2 years each. Bottom line:
    Tronic Energy 2500 were 1300mAh out of the box (I assume these were wrongly labeled to begin with) and after 2 years they register around 900+mAh each (none reaches 1000mAh) thus I consider these crap from start to the end.
    Tronic Energy Eco 2100mAh fair better and they are true LSD ones but they also lose capacity easily over time as well. From the initial 1900mAh they delivered (2100mAh is really an exaggeration), after 2 years of normal use they climbed down to 1750-1800mAh top.
    For the price, Tronic Energy Eco 2100mAh can't be beaten and may worth the purchase. I cannot recommend Tronic Energy 2500 under any circumstances however.

just bought 4x AA tronic eco lsd 2300mah for 3.29€!! that's 0.83€ each!!! that's unbeatable! gonna run some tests on them. they also had C, D and 9v but they don't seem so good. The D's are just 2xAA inside.
    I'm not doing any advertising here but for the price it seems amazing. certainly they are not eneloop but they are pretty good and for the price...
    Last edited by __-_-_-__; 11-23-2015 at 08:47 PM.

I bought four packs of the AA 2300mah at £2.99 a pack last Thursday, they are dated 07/2015

Lidl only sell these a couple of times a year, so I grab them when I can.

EDIT : I bought the same cells two years ago, dated 07/2013, and I tested the capacity last week and out of four AA 2300, three out of four were still over 2300mah and one just below, but I could have got that one over 2300mah with a couple more discharge cycles.

John
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 11-24-2015 at 02:14 AM.
    SkyRC MC3000 - Maha C9000 - LaCrosse BC-900 - Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    LiitoKala Lii-100 - Cozypony 24W Solar Panel - Soshine H4 - Soshine T2 - Soshine E4S

I'm new to this things. I've bought +30 cells. I've a bt-3100 v2 charger, what is the best way to test them???? any specific things you want me to check?
    I've noticed that the package has changed which indicates a new batch. I hope it's good news. how can you check the battery date?
    Last edited by __-_-_-__; 11-24-2015 at 09:31 AM.

I would fully charge them at 1000ma and then discharge them at 0.2C which is 460ma , but 500ma is fine and see what capacity you get, though it can take 3-5 cycles to get full capacity as the battery`s can take a few charges to full wake-up.

According to the review below, you just need to do an "DISCHARGE REFRESH" which does 3 charge and discharge cycles and then it will most likely show you the capacity of the cells, use 500ma for the discharge rate if you can.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%2...V2.1%20UK.html

John.
    SkyRC MC3000 - Maha C9000 - LaCrosse BC-900 - Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    LiitoKala Lii-100 - Cozypony 24W Solar Panel - Soshine H4 - Soshine T2 - Soshine E4S

here the packages sorry for bad pics
    http://imgur.com/a/HL3Km

takes so long omg :| lol
    first test AA

Good numbers, Tronic always seems to come though, after 2 years my 2300ma were still giving 2300ma+ when tested.

I posted that Lidl had the Tronic LSD battery`s for sale myself but nobody seemed to be interested, or most likely nobody lives near a Lidl i only live 5min from one.

I only bought the 4 packs of AA 2300ma, as i have some 3xAA to D convertors on the way.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...n-europe/page2

John.

Quote Originally Posted by __-_-_-__ View Post
    here the packages sorry for bad pics
    http://imgur.com/a/HL3Km

takes so long omg :| lol
    first test AA

Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 11-25-2015 at 03:59 PM.

another AA pack. results:

the AAA are rated 950mah.
    fresh from the pack with a discharge test @200mah with BT-C3100 results are:

not as advertised but still good imo

I have noticed with most brands of AAA, the stated capacity is a little over optimistic.

The AA capacity is still good, and i bet with a few more cycles they will edge of 2300mah

John.

Just got 4 AA packs of Tronic Eco 2300 dated 07/15 for 16 euros (unbeatable price!). Break-in results

Their intended use is primarily for a LED light (120 leds or so) on a video camera. I'll surely make a test-run on the duration before putting these to service. If I notice a quick decline after some good usage I'll report back.

another AAA pack no way near 950mah you are right claims are kinda absurd. best I've seen is 900mah. but still great for the price! they are LSD.

I have bought a couple of good brands of 1000mah AAA over and they were lucky to if they were 900mah when tested.

My local Lidl 5 min from my house, is going to be made at least twice as big, they have bought a old care home next door and are going to knock it down to get the extra space they will need, hopefully they will now stock ni-mh battery`s all year round instead of the current twice a year if i am lucky.

John.

I contacted lidl in my country and after a while I've found out they only have it twice a year. it's nationwide in all stores with limited supply and they never have it all year around. this time they only had the green lsd ones. looks like they don't have 2100mah green lsd ones anymore. they also sometimes have the red tronic ones but those suck. only the 2300mah are good. can't believe the price. even on ebay I can't get any cheaper PLUS they are great batteries. This is only valid for AA and AAA. C, D and 9v aren't much good.
    it even gets media attention http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ig-brands.html
    I just hope the price doesn't go higher.

Twice a year for lsd battery`s i had a good guess, Anyway i have never seen the "2100mah green lsd" as far as i can remember, I ssem to see the non lsd battery 2500mah (i think) but i never buy those (maybe that`s why i see them all the time)

Strange thing, I had some Tronic D 4000mah for years, I only have 3 left for my Mag 3D, and i tested them and could not get them above 1800mah, I had all three in my hands wondering if it would be possible to improve the capacity somehow and i noticed the battery`s seemed to feel lighter than the others so i weighed them, 1 was 220g and the 2 other were 190g and 186g , how did they loose over 20g in weight?

John.

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    Strange thing, I had some Tronic D 4000mah for years, I only have 3 left for my Mag 3D, and i tested them and could not get them above 1800mah, I had all three in my hands wondering if it would be possible to improve the capacity somehow and i noticed the battery`s seemed to feel lighter than the others so i weighed them, 1 was 220g and the 2 other were 190g and 186g , how did they loose over 20g in weight?

John.
    C and D tronic batteries, green or red, are just 3X AAA and 2X AA inside them. that's why they have low capacity and weight. after some years it went down to 1800mah. makes sense.

Yeah, I have been on CPF long enough to know nimh battery`s loose capacity as they age, but i did not know they also lost weight, I don't remember any venting, I always use smart-chargers and there were no white crystals or other marks around the positive end where they normally leak from.

I received the cheap 8x 3AA to D convertors i ordered from ebay today for like £5.30 for 8, and the quality is not too bad, I have been trying to find 24x Tronic AA 2300mah to fill them but i could only find 22, so i went to Lidl to buy another pack, but i searched i could not find any, I was not surprised if they had sold out, But i saw the manger walking past so i asked him if he had any more, and he said he had loads of packs of AA and AAA in the warehouse because he did not have space to put them out to sell.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by __-_-_-__ View Post
    C and D tronic batteries, green or red, are just 3X AAA and 2X AA inside them. that's why they have low capacity and weight. after some years it went down to 1800mah. makes sense.
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 11-30-2015 at 12:41 PM.

new AA test:

I don't have any more AA packs to test. calculating from all the results shared here (28) the batteries have an average of 2306mah with minimum being 2234 and maximum being 2333 (curiously from the same pack)

Here in Sweden Lidl is selling a new version of AA and AAA LSD NiMH batteries this week, at least new to me

They cost 69,90(~7 €)/ 8 pack.

Yes, they're selling them here in Austria as well, at € 6,99 for the 8-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    Here in Sweden Lidl is selling a new version of AA and AAA LSD NiMH batteries this week, at least new to me

£4.99 per pack in my local Lidl from Thursday the 10th

John.

Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post

They are selling them in Denmark from next thursday through the weekend.
    Price: kr. 60,- ( 8,05 € )

I was in Lidl today and saw the multi-colored battery`s put out on Thursday, today is Saturday and still plenty left to buy, but i did not buy any, they are better value than the normal 4 packs if i did not already have 7 packs of them already.

Lidl mangers dont seem to get it, that you need to sell a battery charger at the same time as you sell rechargeable battery`s if you want people to buy them for Christmas.

Oh Well

John.
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 12-13-2015 at 05:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Enlightened

Hi

i bought some packs of the Tronic 2300mah AA

i tried them in the nitecore ea4.
    :1 hour 15 mins (on average)
    then there are fast flashes from the flashlight, to tell that the batteries are finished. In all my packs I get the same thing.

I used UNIROSS 2100mah Hybrio and with the same situation,
    : 1 hour 28-30mins (used two packs)

i used UNIROSS 2400mah Hybrio and with the same situation,
    :1 hour 48-54mins (used two packs)

after calculating: the Tronic 2300mah seem to have about 1500mah capacity only. Bad bad.

we hope this helps when using Tronic batteries

UPDATE

A friend tested our UNIROSS 2400mah Hybrio batteries in their EA81. Here is the run time test

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4819389
    Last edited by FireWire; 01-12-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Actually you did not measured capacity only, but capacity related to load.
    (Battery capacity is expressed in relation to ampere draw in the datasheets.)

So the Tronics seem to handle load not as good. But i a sufficiently low load they might as well get the 2400mAh.

Good job though
    Last edited by kosPap; 01-05-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast