DealExtreme        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lidl red Tronic battery test

Enlightened

Default Re: Lidl red Tronic battery test

Thank you,
    yes that makes all the real world difference, the battery you can depend on.
    Last edited by FireWire; 01-05-2016 at 08:21 PM.

My local lidl has the battery`s back in on the 17th, 4xAAA, 4xAA, 2xC, 2xD 1x9V for £2.99 in the UK though last time they did not have any D size.

See if they are available in your country.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=31903

John.
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 03-14-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    SkyRC MC3000 - Maha C9000 - LaCrosse BC-900 - Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    LiitoKala Lii-100 - Cozypony 24W Solar Panel - Soshine H4 - Soshine T2 - Soshine E4S

Just bought 12 of the Tronic D ECO 4500mah (I managed to get some this time), and the capacity is high enough for me an at £1.50 a cell it`s great value.

The packaging of the battery say they are "fast charge compatible" so how my C can i charge them at, is it just marketing hype.

I just though my fastest charger is max 2amp so that is less than 0.5C so my question as a bit academic.

Thanks

John.
    SkyRC MC3000 - Maha C9000 - LaCrosse BC-900 - Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    LiitoKala Lii-100 - Cozypony 24W Solar Panel - Soshine H4 - Soshine T2 - Soshine E4S

Any idea who's the importer? I've been told there's something about Eures on the batteries, but as usually, nobody is responding to my messages from that companyÖ

Further, to what I wrote a couple of years ago, I find the brand disappointing still and not value for money.I have just tried charging 4 of the aaa and the charger has refused to bother with them so they have been binned.Even the £1 cells from Poundland have outlasted the Lidl brand.

My very first brand of pre-charged batteries "Instants" are all still going strong after many years of use.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

I had to bin 16 Energizer AA nimh because of the insane self discharge rate, but i still buy Energizer nimh battery`s as they must have been an bad batch or something, My other Energizer nimh have been fine.

Still have my first RED Tronic 8 AA and they still have the same capacity as when new, I tested them a couple of months ago and was amazed.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    Further, to what I wrote a couple of years ago, I find the brand disappointing still and not value for money.I have just tried charging 4 of the aaa and the charger has refused to bother with them so they have been binned.Even the £1 cells from Poundland have outlasted the Lidl brand.

My very first brand of pre-charged batteries "Instants" are all still going strong after many years of use.

Ok, I just did a capacity test on my Opus C3100 v2.2 on 4 Red Tronic AA 2100mah date code 2010/06

I uses a discharge current of 500ma so just over 0.2C

1 : 2069
    2 : 2046
    3 : 2061
    4 : 2029

So not bad for battery`s 3 month short of 6 years old.

John.

You mean under 0.4C? According to my math, 0.5 A is about 1/4 from 2.1 Ah. It is individually-controlled for each socket, isn't it?

I do it this way C=2100/10*2= 420ma is 0.2C , 0.4C is 840ma

So who is right?

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    You mean under 0.4C? According to my math, 0.5 A is about 1/4 from 2.1 Ah. It is individually-controlled for each socket, isn't it?
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 03-22-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Enlightened

John, fwiw you're correct Behemoth seems to have got his head around it incorrectly, yes .5a is about a 1/4, but that would be expressed as .25 in decimal, not .4.

Bought some AA & AAA from Lidl last week, discharged the AA's in my TN4A and first charge registered around 2100mah in my VC4. Could do with a better analysing charger, but look encouraging for now, especially for £2.99

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    I do it this way C=2100/10*2= 420ma is 0.2C , 0.4C is 840ma

So who is right?

John.
    Last edited by rusteh; 03-30-2016 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rusteh View Post
    John, fwiw you're correct Behemoth seems to have got his head around it incorrectly, yes .5a is about a 1/4, but that would be expressed as .25 in decimal, not .4.

Bought some AA & AAA from Lidl last week, discharged the AA's and first charge registered around 2100mah in my VC4. Could do with a better analysing charger, but look encouraging for now, especially for £2.99
    May give them another go at that price seems a plan.Did your branch have plenty in ?

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    May give them another go at that price seems a plan.Did your branch have plenty in ?
    A small amount, but seemed to have a few of each type. Just wishing i'd picked up more now, especially the D cells. Wanted to make sure they weren't a waste of money first.....
    Last edited by rusteh; 03-30-2016 at 06:35 AM.

Flashaholic*

A few weeks ago I bought a four pack of Tronic Energy eco 2400 NimH AA at Lidl here in Sweden.
    When I saw them in the shop I recalled seeing them mentioned here on CPF and bought them out of curiosity.

Didn't do a discharge at start but ran a refresh & analyze on my Maha.

Got 1120-1150 mAh from them.
    Weird I thought, so I did a discharge with the same result and then a break-in and got once again the same result.

Did some googling and can only find Tronic AA 2100, 2300, 2500 mAh but no 2400.

What is it that I have got? Fakes?

I live only 10 minutes drive from IKEA so I have good supply of hi quality / good price LADDA NiMh and didn't pay much for these Tronics so it's no big deal but this is a little strange I think.

The only good thing to say is that they are very consistent...

The highest i have had were 2300mah versions, but they have been out a few years now, maybe a 2400mah version has been released, but those capacity results are bad, my 2100 and 2300 version were very close or exceeded the stated capacity.

John

Lidl would not be in the market of fakes,no need.

Flashaholic*

I don't think either that Lidl needs to sell fakes but when looking even at Lidl pages they seem to sell 2300 mAh LSD cells and 2500 mAh non LSD cells.
    Can't find anything about 2400 cells.

Haven't talked to the guys in the store yet but I think they should know and not sell these anymore so I will tell them.

I have recently purchased a few packs of Tronic eco 2400 AA batteries from Lidl in the UK. They were sold at a very good price (£2.99) but unfortunately I was also disappointed. I discharged the batteries and got results very similar to GunnarGG.

It is clearly not an isolated problem because there are similar reports from Belgium, the Czech Republic & the UK.
    There is a discussion & some discharge curves comparing the bad Tronic 2400 cells with the previous good Tronic 2300 cells on theBudgetLightForum.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/47141

Sadly, Lidl's response seems to be much the same right acrossEurope - happy to refund if the batteries are returned but unwilling to acknowledge that there is a widespread problem.

In the UK a complaint has been referred to Trading Standards and in Belgium Test Aankoop have been notified.

That`s a shame where are these made?, Glad a bought a load of the 2300mah version, My local small Lidl has been demolished and we are getting a Lidl super store the framework is going up at the moment, it`s supposedly going to be ready for December.

John.

That`s a shame where are these made?,
    According to the packaging the 2400 Tronic cells were supplied by Kompernass while the 2300 cells were supplied by Eures. I think that both Kompernass & Eures are German wholesalers rather than manufacturers Ė so donít know where they were actually manufactured.

I have been a fan of Lidl but have been disappointed by their lack of interest in these under-performing batteries. I guess that most customers are not in a position to measure battery capacity just as I donít know how to check that pure cotton shirts really are pure cotton. This sort of thing undermines trust.

My Tronic 6 channel lcd charger just blew up, I put 6 eneloop AA cells in the bays and plugged it it, there was a loud bang and sparks were seen from the negative end of the eneloop in channel 5, the charger will no longer power up.

I opened the charger, the power supply is built in, where the AC cable goes inside there is a small transformer there is a burn mark on the pcb below it, it`s directly below the negative end of slot 5 and why i saw some sparks.

John.
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 12-23-2016 at 05:38 AM.

Unenlightened

I bought yesterday 'Ready to use' 2300 mah and tried them in train that is very demanding and thay almost performed on the level of eneloop pro.
    This was very suprisingly for me.
    I'll do some tests.

Quote Originally Posted by michkam View Post
    I bought yesterday 'Ready to use' 2300 mah and tried them in train that is very demanding and thay almost performed on the level of eneloop pro.
    This was very suprisingly for me.
    I'll do some tests.

Yeah, I have 6 packs of the 2300mah they are very good, and have a close to rated capacity, I want to get some AAA next time.

I live about 5min walk from a lidl store, but they are building a new super store and demolishing the smaller current one, so i have had no lidl for months, it was supposed to be ready for Christmas but it looks like it will not be finished before February at the earliest.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Battery_person View Post
    According to the packaging the 2400 Tronic cells were supplied by Kompernass while the 2300 cells were supplied by Eures. I think that both Kompernass & Eures are German wholesalers rather than manufacturers Ė so donít know where they were actually manufactured.

I have been a fan of Lidl but have been disappointed by their lack of interest in these under-performing batteries. I guess that most customers are not in a position to measure battery capacity just as I donít know how to check that pure cotton shirts really are pure cotton. This sort of thing undermines trust.
    Same here in Greece, I got these 2400 Tronic Eco recently and all are about 1200mAh or so. Same happened the very first time I got the non-eco version of Tronic 2500 a few years back (and never got them again obviously) which again registered about 1200mAh too, all of them. On the other hand, both Tronic Eco 2100 and 2300 versions return capacities close to the stated value and keep up well over a couple of years I have been testing them (two have seem to lost some capacity however but I think they have been overdischarged in a pack I use them) and I think those 2300 are even better compared to 2100 ones. So, what I understand is, there are two companies producing Tronic for Lidl, one is Eures (the good quality) and the other company the bad quality. After that experiene, I only buy 2100 and 2300 Eco versions.
    Last edited by apagogeas; 01-03-2017 at 02:51 PM.

My Lidl in the UK has the Tronic Nimh Battery`s this Thursday the 9th for £2.99 a pack for the 4xAA 2300mah 4xAAA 950mah 2xC 4000mah 2xD 4500mah 1x9V 200mah

So check you local Lidl for availability.

John.

I decided to try a pack of Tronic eco AAA ready to use 950mah and i am checking the capacity on my Maha C9000

Out of packet capacity

1: 718mah 2: 471mah 3: 727mah 4: 643mah

First refresh and analyze at 500ma charge and 200ma discharge 0.2C

1: 891mah 2: 863mah 3: 884mah 4: 875mah

I am going to run a second refresh and analyze to see if the capacity increases and will post the results when it is complete.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ***
    STRANGE

I bought an Tronic charger from Lidl it can charge up to 8 nimh cells at once and has an lcd display that shows the charge level in 10% increments and only cost £9.99, But it had a faulty channel 1 so i returned it, the replacement charger blew up when i turned it on with 6xAA cells in the charger (bang)

The strange thing is, about 4 years ago i bought virtually the identical charger but it showed 5 bars on the lcd instead of % level and it blew up (bang) the same as the one i bought when i turned it on with 6xAA cells in the charger, I asked to see the manager at Lidl and told him about the problem, and possible faulty in this model of charge, I decided to get a refund as i cannot trust this charger even though it has an 3 year warranty.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    I asked to see the manager at Lidl and told him about the problem, and possible faulty in this model of charge, I decided to get a refund as i cannot trust this charger even though it has an 3 year warranty.

John.
    how's your lacrosse and maha doing?

i totally lost confidence in charger reliability these days and your story just support my theory...i am planning to buy some opus charger but when i see them under names like ambient weather and extreme light or such, i realized it's all about badge engineering...ok, i am not buying a house, but it's not about money anymore, i am sick of dead chinese electronics around my house...

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath.../dp/B00LUZHL4C

is it opus? or is it ambient weather?

I have not used the Lacrosse for years, as i bought it just as the meltdown problem came to light, though i had no problems with mine.

A channel died on my first C9000 a couple of years ago, I bought 2 more, the first one had a faulty slot button so i had to get a replacement, I have one doing a capacity check at the moment, I just wish you did not have to press so many buttons, when you are using 4 of the same battery`s and running the same program, the Opus C3100 you only have to enter it once for all 4 slots.

John.

it's just a proof of my impressions about poor build quality of battery chargers in general...bad power supplies, broken channels, dead lcd screens, software bugs, melted case, broken buttons, the list is endless...

what is your most reliable charger so far?

The problem with such faulty chargers is that they are ruining the reputation of rechargeables in general, or make recharging appear at least somewhat dangerous... then there are some people thinking: "OK, so someone has to be there while the batteries are charging... wait, that doesn't work when we're going out with the family... OK, it doesn't work, so screw those rechargeables and let's use alkalines again." I'm not making this up...

Well just look at the Samsung Note 7 it shows you have to be careful and keep an eye on even the best brands while they are charging.

John.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast