Higher Voltage D Cells?

AllenMcB

Newly Enlightened
Is there such a thing as a higher voltage D cell, something higher than 1.5V? I've got several D cell maglites that I'd like to juice up, if possible.

I know there are D cell shaped adapters that will let three AA cells take the place of a D cell, but I don't think I can find a 27 volt bulb to replace the standard bulb.

Or, anyone have a more workable idea for how to mod a 6 D cell maglite into a better flashlight?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, anyone have a more workable idea for how to mod a 6 D cell maglite into a better flashlight?
There's a place on the Internet. You might have heard of it, it's called CandlePowerForums. From what I've heard, it's full of information about how to make Mags and other lights shine brighter.

If you don't know where to start, "ROP" would be a good search term to begin with. ;)

Battery Guy

Enlightened

Man, did you come to the right place. Although, you may not think so several months from now when your wallet is empty and you have half a dozen unfinished, modified lights sitting around waiting for those awesome Fivemega bulbs and AW switches to become available (you don't know Fivemega or AW now, but you will...and so will your Paypal account).

There are a huge number of ways to mod a Maglite. You can start by reading through the threads shown here.

To be truly inspired, read through LuxLuthor's most powerful mag mod list found here.

Here's my two favorite beginner Mag mods. Both of these will provide 40-150 times the amount of light over the stock Mag.

1.) Terralux TLE-300M-EX drop-in head in a 3D Mag using a Fivemega 9AA>3D battery holder and a UCL lens. Power this puppy for 2.5 hours on the highest setting with Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries, or 1.75 hours on the highest setting with Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. This is a great light, and since everything is drop-in, it is extremely easy to make. Also, since you have a six D Mag already, you could just buy the Terralux assembly and drop it right into your 6D Mag. It will run for about 1 hour on a six new D cells in your light. That would save you some $$$ on the Fivemega battery holder and the UCL lens, and you could see if you like the light or not. The 3D Mag mod described above is nice because it is smaller and has a longer runtime, but the light output between the two is exactly the same.

2.) The Mag85 hotwire mod. There a many variations on this light. Basically, it is a WA1185 incandescent bulb driven directly by the battery. Here is an easy variation: a Welch Allyn WA1185 bulb, a Fivemega G4 bi-pin socket, a Fivemega 9AA>3D battery holder, a Fivemega bi-focal reflector and a borofloat lens. Power this bad boy with Sanyo Eneloop (about 30 minute run-time) or Powerex Imedion 2400 AA cells (about 40 minute run-time). Again, everything is drop-in and very easy to do.

If you go with a rechargeable battery option for the lights above, I recommend getting a charger like this, that way you can charge the batteries without removing them from the battery holder.

But rather than choose between the two, why not build both? That way you will get a good feeling for the difference between LED and incandescent flashlights.

Have fun, and tell us what you build!

Cheers,
Battery Guy

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy 3.0V primary lithium D cells. Either pay an exhorbitant amount for new separate Saft cells or purchase government surplus aged 12-V weather balloon battery packs of 2S6P 3.0V D cells and harvest them.

A few years ago I bought a case of 12 of these packs for $109. They are fun to use, but each cell is rated for a maximum 2.0A draw.

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get 7 "C" cells into a 6D mag, with a tube to keep them centered. This will increase the brightness at the cost of runtime and bulb life. It's also lighter if you use something lightweight for the tube.

AllenMcB

Newly Enlightened
You can get 7 "C" cells into a 6D mag, with a tube to keep them centered. This will increase the brightness at the cost of runtime and bulb life. It's also lighter if you use something lightweight for the tube.

I never thought about that.......... I just measured a C cell and a D cell, and it looks like that would work. I'll try a PVC sleeve, and thanks for the hint!

AllenMcB

Newly Enlightened
Man, did you come to the right place. ......

There are a huge number of ways to mod a Maglite. You can start by reading through the threads shown here.

But rather than choose between the two, why not build both? That way you will get a good feeling for the difference between LED and incandescent flashlights.

Thanks, BG. Lots of good info here, and it will take me a bit to read and understand all of it, but now I've got a starting point. And all of this just in time for a weekend project!

Last edited:

AllenMcB

Newly Enlightened
As an aside, 5 C's fit well into a 4D Mag.

Rooted around in the shop, found a five foot length of 1" grey PVC electrical conduit. Inside diameter is perfect for holding C cells, and the outside diameter looks like it will be almost identical to a D cell. I think I have a holder now......

5 C cells would make 7.5v, and Radio Shack used to carry a 7.2v Krypton bulb that should work nicely. This may end up being the best part of my week!

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 C cells would make 7.5v, and Radio Shack used to carry a 7.2v Krypton bulb that should work nicely. This may end up being the best part of my week!
A 6 V krypton bulb would be better. The usual battery/bulb table looks like this:

1 cell: 1.2 V
2 cell: 2.4 V
3 cell: 3.6 V
4 cell: 4.8 V
5 cell: 6.0 V
6 cell: 7.2 V

(Hint: use a 5 cell Mag bulb)

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 6 V krypton bulb would be better. The usual battery/bulb table looks like this:

1 cell: 1.2 V
2 cell: 2.4 V
3 cell: 3.6 V
4 cell: 4.8 V
5 cell: 6.0 V
6 cell: 7.2 V

(Hint: use a 5 cell Mag bulb)

Funny I never thought about that before, just put 6 D's in it and use a 5-cell bulb! What would a 4-cell bulb do there? Would it last more than a few minutes?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tolerance for over driving depends on the bulb type. You can run a 5 cell krypton bulb on six cells but it will have a short life. A 5 cell xenon or halogen bulb will probably instaflash. Most 4 cell bulbs will instaflash on six cells.