LS2 vs. LS3 vs. LS4 vs. High Dome vs. Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Newly Enlightened
I've been away from the Arc forum for a bit and went to Gransee's site to check out what was being sold. Between Peter's site and this forum, I'm totally confused.

What are the differences between all of the different *closely named* models of the LS flashlights being sold on Peter's site? Which ones are LS2, LS3, and LS4? What benefit is "High Dome"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I especially want to know what the difference in light output is between the models and the upcoming LS4.

If I'm an avid LED flashlight devotee and I'm confused and have tons of questions, I guarantee you the average customer hitting Peter's site gets quickly confused and closes the browser off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the FAQ post on this forum, you'll find everything you need to know in there.

Forge

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Have a look at the FAQ post on this forum, you'll find everything you need to know in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was VERY helpful, but still doesn't answer these questions:
- Are ALL the Arc LSs on Peter's site LS3s?
- Is there any difference in output between all the models? Yes, I realize they are all 1W, but there is surely a difference between "high dome", "low dome", etc.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LS3 is actually not being produced any more and was a 5W. What is available now is a slightly different model and is now an LSL or LSH. The LSL (low dome) is relatively a short-range "flood" type beam, where the LSH (high dome) is a more focused "spot" type beam. There are beam shot comparisons around the forum if you search. I would do a beam shot comparison for you, but my LSL is in my desk drawer at the office.

BTW: It seems that the people who have LS3's aren't giving them up.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:
The LS3 is actually not being produced any more...
BTW: Every once and a while someone who buys a "factory second" will wind up with the LS3. It seems that the people who have LS3's aren't giving them up either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, the LS3 was the discontinued 5W model and nobody has gotten one as a Second. They sold for around $200 each.

I think you may have meant to type LS1 because those do still occasionally show up as a Second (especially as a hybrid - LS1 body with LS2 electronics).

Pat

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Forge said:
That was VERY helpful, but still doesn't answer these questions:
- Are ALL the Arc LSs on Peter's site LS3s?
- Is there any difference in output between all the models? Yes, I realize they are all 1W, but there is surely a difference between "high dome", "low dome", etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
All the LS's for sale on the Arc web site are LS2's. The LS2 has the one piece head and is narrower than the LS1. The LS2 name was changed to the LSL (Low-Dome) and LSH (High-Dome) designations to show which kind of Luxeon is used.

The Premium models are brighter than the Standard models. Both use Luxeons with the same tint designations (3 or 4 tint) but the Premiums use brighter Luxeons.

The LSL gives more of a flood than the LSH which has more throw. Beamshots and more info. can be found in these links -
Low Dome vs. High Dome
LSH vs. LSL - which do you like better and why?

Hope this helps,
Pat

E

EchoSierraTwo

Does anyone or can anyone have or take pics of the evolution of the LS? I am curious to see how it has progressed over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.