SL 3AA LED Luxeon

Swift

Newly Enlightened
OK pardon my newbieness. I've read a couple hundred posts since my first question and think I may be really ready to purchase or be more confused than I should be?! (wife thinks I'm nuts)

Will a the SL 3AA Lux serve my purpose for the huntin light I'm lookin for?

Good runtime, good throw, dependable, I was gonna go with the SL 2L TT but am thinkin this may better suit my purpose.

Throw, brightness and runtime are my biggest factors with size in mind.

ALL comments welcome and APPRECIATED!

Geheim

Newly Enlightened
Going by your statement than a "Twin Task" light like the 2L or 1L would be better. You get good throw with the Xenon and power saving with the LED when you are doing closer work. It really depends on what you plan on using the light for.

The lithium ones are smaller, but since you like the 3AA maybe the 3AA TT instead?

The Twin Tasks give you more options.

Chad

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It gives a good BALANCE of the three (throw, run time, and brightness). I use mine a LOT because of that nice balance.

I used my 3AA for hours and hours, and finally changed the batteries out of boredom. It will dim a bit with use, but won't quit at an inopportune time (finding your way home in the dark). A lot of incandescents, and regulated lights can, and will.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geheim's suggestion is also a good one. You use the 3 LEDs a lot more than the "throw" part; in this case, an incandescent of respectable voltage.

The TT is perhaps a more versatile light than the Lux 3AA, but either would suit your needs.

Quickbeam may get tired of my referrals to his very informative site, but here it is anyway:

http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/index1.html

Swift

Newly Enlightened
Guys I've read the reviews and looked at the beamshots.
This flashlight stuff is confusing!!

As stated in my first post I've been using a 2AA maglight and it has done the job fairly well. I'm just lookin to upgrade and am intrigued as to wether or not the single Luxeon LED can fill the the void.

I've thought long about the SL TT 2L as a light but wonder if I'll be able to do what I'm lookin for with a LED specifically the SL 3AA Luxeon.

I'm torn between the two!?

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
If a AA MiniMag was adequate then I can see you being quite happy with the 3AA luxeon light. It should clobber the MiniMag easily.

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
I use the SL 3AA Lux while running dogs at night. I use the 3AA lux primarilly and use a SL Ultra Stinger when I need to reach out. The 3AA lux will be alot more light than the 2AA Mag. Very well built light and great run time compared to the Mag! I use a head strap and use it as a headlamp. It also has a very nice switch in the traditional location, Click on/off. I like it alot better than my CMG Reactor 3 alot more throw/light, and better switch...I didn't like the switching on my CMG...

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swift-I just saw what you have been using (2AA Mag), Lordy, the 3AA SL Luxeon will absolutely stomp that light (?) into the dust. No bulb to burn out, much better throw, and brightness, and extended run time.

Get one, and enjoy a new world.

Swift

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot guys!
I'm gettin me one real soon as huntin season is upon us!

Mrd 74

Enlightened
I got mine today and used it tonite.Pure white perfectly sized beam with lots of throw......you won't be disappointed.

JJHitt

Enlightened
My only complaint with it as an outdoors light is it doesn't have enough side-spill. "Throw" has never been a priority for me, but it clearly was for the designers. Yes it has throw... but can you see your feet when shining it strait ahead... probably not.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is my concern as well.

i am still considering a TL-2 LED. i have read that it has a pretty tight beam--and some have stated that it also has good spill (focusable). i hope so, because i tend to like that spill when walking in the woods.

Bob

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
My only complaint with it as an outdoors light is it doesn't have enough side-spill. "Throw" has never been a priority for me, but it clearly was for the designers. Yes it has throw... but can you see your feet when shining it strait ahead... probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

JJHitt...I don't know about the 3AA luxeon light, but the TL-2 LED has AWESOME side/peripheral light even on it's tightest focus. In fact, the peripheral light of mine is slightly brighter then the light that immediately surrounds the hotspot of the SL 4AA 7LED. On it's tightest focus, the TL-2 LED is an outstanding combination of throw AND sidespill...Mine out-throws my 2 D cell Mag with an Epieon, and it's sidespill is twice as bright! For about $60.00 at BrightGuy, The SL TL-2 LED is really worth giving a serious look...

PJD