Surefire: E2D LED Defender® or LX2 LumaMax®

Grubrunner

Newly Enlightened
I'm a career firefighter in search of a EDC in my turnout [fire] coat pocket. I carry a Fenix PD30 R4 in my station pants at present but it's not accessible when we dress out for calls of fire/alarm/vehicle accident/etc nature. I do carry an EagleTac T20C2 MKII in my pants pocket at present but want to equip myself with a back-up when it dies down and/or when I want something with a [much] better throw and [significantly] better illumination.

I've narrowed it down to the two lights in the thread's title after months of research on these boards, along with other avenues.

Anyone who owns, or has and/or had first-hand experience with, both these lights have a comparison/beamshots/opinion/feedback on the two?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $200.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.
____I want a Surefire

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
beam and output are nearly identical.
main differences are the interface. E2DL is 2-mode high/low. always comes on high first. operation is all in the clicky, which is also a forward momentary clicky. click for high, soft press or click again for low.
LX2 is 2 mode as well. but the tailcap button can only activate momentary. light press for low, press harder for high. for the lx2 to stay on constantly. you muct twist the tailcap tighter. as you twist, it will come on low, with about another turn of the cap, itll come on high.

minor differences include knurling, the LX2 has a smoother body, while the E2DL has some of the grippiest knurling ive felt on a light.
E2DL can tailstand. LX2 cannot.
E2DL has a slimmer body.
LX2 has a better clip.

I purchased the LX2 first, but the twisty UI wasnt for me, I was lucky enough to be able to exchange it for the E2DL, and am very satisfied with it for my uses, which is for its pocket size throw ability. if i needed low light ill just pull out my Ra, or zebralight, which have superior beams for close range.

Im not certain if you will use the light with gloves or not. I think that is something you also have to consider.
good luck, and stay safe! cant go wrong with either light.

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
The thing is - you've filled out the questionnaire, yet it isn't actually specific enough to rule out either light. Both lights fit these criteria perfectly. :ironic:

They both have a tail switch - however the way their tail switches operate is very different and you need to think about which type of user interface you want if you don't have the opportunity to try them in person.

They both have a clip - however the LX2 allows for both bezel-up and bezel-down carry while the clip of the E2D LED only allows for bezel-up carry.

Here's a thread where someone is looking at the same lights, along with a few others. Here's my reply regarding the E2DL and the LX2

These have the same emitter and TIR optic, so you primarily need to decide which UI you want. :sssh:

LX2 - two-stage momentary/twisty. depress partially for low level, depress fully for high level momentary light. twist partially for constant on low, twist fully for constant on high
E2D - two-mode forward clicky. click once for high, click on and off again for low. you also have the momentary feature since it's a forward clicky, but AFAIK momentary use will change modes.

This is pure taste - I know I would much rather have the LX2 UI, others hate it and want a clicky.

The LX2 also has a two-way clip for both bezel up and bezel down carry, whereas the E2D only has a bezel-up clip. Again, personal tastes abound. Personally I hate bezel up carry and would not EDC a light with that clip, all my A2s are loose in my pocket thanks to the useless clip (the only thing I don't like about the A2). If you for some bizarre reason like bezel up carry this difference doesn't matter, I guess. :)

yowzer

Enlightened
I dunno if either one will provide more light than the Eagletac (Which has a XR-E pill available as well for more throw than the XP-G that it comes with)... maybe more throw, but the XR-E powered 20 series ETs are pretty good in that department.

Of your two options, I like the LX2 a bit better, for the UI and clip.

steveG

Enlightened
I have an E2DL but if I didn't already have it I would buy an LX2. The lack or crenelations, the great clip and the ability to select high or low right off the bat just seems perfect for an EDC light.

They both have momentary on.... I think one the questions you need to answer is, When your light is critical, do you need a clickie tailcap or will you be able to twist the cap to turn it on?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an LX2 and I much prefer the LX2 over the E2DL. I don't really like the two stage clicky of the E2DL. I know how it is like, I have the E1B. But, you did mentioned about your use of gloves. Though I am not a fire fighter, I did undergo an advance fire fighting and rescue course when I was in the navy and I understand that fire protection gloves are very thick. You might have a problem fumbling with the rotary switch of the LX2. Even with the E2DL, you may have some difficulty depressing the clicky since the crenellations on the tailcap are in the way. However, you could always buy a separate Z61 tailcap without the crenellation for easier switching on when using gloves using the E2DL.

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
I own both and am not a firefighter but the E2DL does look wayyyyy cooler. It is in my opinion the best looking flashlight ever made.

afdk

Newly Enlightened
E2D LED Defender

:D Just bought the ED2 led Defender! 200 lumens. Spoke with Mike at BrightGuy. I was going to buy the LX2 LumaMax, Mike changed my mind. The LumaMax is not a clicky, you need to turn the tail cap to keep it on. That's what changed my mind. lovecpf

yowzer

Enlightened
Re: E2D LED Defender

Choosing between the E2DL and LX2 is mostly a matter of which UI and body styling you like better. Can't go wrong with either one. If this is your first Surefire, it probably won't be your last. :broke:

afdk

Newly Enlightened

Hi,:D

I also own the Pelican 9410 lantern and the UK Zoom light. The 9410 is super bright and is my home emergency light! The UK Zoom light is my everyday go to work light. I think the E2D Defender will be my new everyday light!

Kestrel

Flashaholic

As this thread is about the OP's selection of the SF E2D LED over the somewhat-comparable SF LX2, I'm going to merge this thread with a very recent thread discussing this same topic ...

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened

I own the e2dl and would not recommend for firefighting use. It is a great light, but when pocket clipped, the bezel is head up. And there is really no need for the sharp crenellations. The l2 has a little longer run time. And has a dual pocket clip (head up or head down) and has 15 lumens low mode instead of 5 lumens from e2dl. Good luck with your choice, their both great lights. And thank you for your service

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Firefighting, LX2. The E2DL on high might be too much, so you will find yourself cycling alot. The LX2? Just press down a little harder...LX2 is better for momentarily lighting things up, but also is just as good as the E2DL for longer runtime uses. The LX2 can easily go from high to low to high, with out any interuption in the light. The E2DL will turn off, then come on low then high...yeah, LX2.