Good free/cheap computer call waiting software?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could have posted this on the helpful free software thread but wanted to give it's own title. I will post on computer forums also but find I get/read a lot of computer info here

Short story. Any good free/cheap Internet computer call waiting software? What that does is if you have call waiting enabled on your phone line and you receive a call while online (using a modem), a pop up window will appear saying do you want to answer the call or reject it. I believe some will do the caller ID as well. With a newer V92 modem I believe you can answer it without even losing your Internet connection, with a V90 modem I believe you'll get disconnected from the Internet in order to answer the call.

Long story: I recently assembled a winxp computer for a family member using a mixture of old/new components including a US Robotics V90 modem. Previously when modem was installed in older win98 machine, the connections software provided with the modem installed the necessary software so that when she received a call while online she would get a pop up box and could choose to receive the call if so desired. Unaware to me when I delivered this computer over 150 miles away, she utilized this feature. When installing winxp in newer computer, the modem was recognized so I did not install any additional software. I just found this out tonight when I arrived back home. I advised her to reinstall the USR connections software but here's what I'm afraid of. There is already a modem driver installed via winxp so I'm afraid it may try to install a different one and confuse the system so that the modem is not operational. Also I'm not sure whether any of the software, including the call waiting feature is compatible with winxp. I have gone to the USR site but I do not know the exact model number so can't get help. If anybody happens to have gone thru something similar with a USR modem, please respond. Thanks.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Good free/cheap computer call waiting software

V.90 modems do not have the "modem on hold" feature that you speak of....only the V.92 modems do. The exception is if you use software/service like CallWave, Buzzme or Pagoo which I believe will work with any modem. Also, the person wanting to use this feature with a V.92 modem has to have Call Waiting setup with their phone company.

Buzzme does have a free version (does not require call waiting).....go here Buzzme Free

Please note that I have not personally used services like these so I don't know how easy they are to use or how good they are. I have only used V.92 modems and had Call Waiting (via telephone company).

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
mike

p.s For more information on V.92 modems got to v92.com

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe the V90 modems or at least this one from US Robotics have the feature where it will tell you have a call coming in (provided you subscribe to the call waiting service), do you wish to accept it or reject it. If you accept it then you will be kicked off the Internet, then your phone will ring. If I was there I would just put in a V92 modem but unfortunately I'm not and won't be for quite some time.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

Look at the Buzzme free link in my previous post.

mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mvario

Newly Enlightened

Not free, but I used to use this:

http://www.ascendis.com/

a couple of years ago and liked it. These days I forward my calls to my cell (I don't get a lot of calls) so I never bothered reinstalling it when I upped to Win XP.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not free either, but I use a Catch-A-Call - you can get them at Radioshack and I believe Walmart... Works great when I'm on dialup! Plug a phone into the box, plug your modem into the box, plug the phoneline into the box. You need call waiting. When the call waiting tone comes in the box rings. If you pick up the phone, the box switches over to the incoming call and puts the ISP on hold. Usually the ISP disconnects after about 30 seconds.

http://www.catchacall.com/