Olight - R50        
Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Default Wave of Haiku High CRI

Hi guys,
    This is an offering for another LED version of the Haiku, namely the High CRI version. This is a 1x123 light like the other Haikus with the same 3S converter now set at ~500 mA and driving the Nichia 119 LED.

The Haiku Hi CRI is being offered for $450 plus shipping *

I do want to state that my hope and intent is to process the e-mail orders for these on a first received/ first processed basis and ideally the response to your e-mail order will be a notification of shipment. I don't want to add to the number of communications by sending an acknowledgment prior to generating the postage notification.

These lights are available on first come first serve basis; as determined by e-mail orders I receive which are clear, concise and include the must have information:

In the subject line of the E-mail please state: Haiku Hi CRI
    Your CPF name
    (if you have one)
    Your real name and mailing address
    phone number if international shipment
    Any exceptions to standard shipping, which is priority mail.
    If the shipment is domestic and you want insurance, please so state. (No insurance offered on international shipments)*

For my general info on how I process these offerings, please refer to THIS THREAD. For more information on the Haiku, please review THIS THREAD.

All of these lights sport some tool marks and various cosmetic singularities. Some may be obvious and some you may need to look closely for.

If you receive one of these lights and decide that it does not meet your expectation then you can either lower your expectations or simply send the light back for a full refund. I won't offer an exchange for probably obvious reasons. (please don't abuse this offer)

Like all of my Ti lights, the Haiku High CRI is designed to be sealed from the environment and external pressure but I make no claim or suggestion that it is a dive or underwater light.

Thanks guys!

* shipping is via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation or Global Priority mail. If you wish shipping via an alternative method, or signature confirmation or insurance on domestic shipments only, please specify in your e-mail order. If you want insurance, I will also add the expense and option of signature confirmation to your shipment.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default Re: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Email sent for one Haiku High CRI and one Mule High CRI head only.

Thanks Don!
    Last edited by Barbarian; 10-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Hi guys,
    I have offered the Mule as a component as well as a complete light and it only makes sense to do the same here. Should any of you wish to purchase the Haiku High CRI head only, the price would be $280 plus postage.

Alternatively, if you would like the head only but with a 6V LE the price would be $285 plus postage. If you want a 2x123 McClickie pak to make it a complete light then the pak is an additional $230.

I haven't mentioned the option of the 2xAA pak either here or in the Mule wave because at the moment, I am out of 2xAA paks! Oops! There are some in the works but no ETA as of yet.

Surprisingly, there seems to be a lot more initial interest in the Mule with the 119 than there is in the Haiku with the 119. I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise but with the interest in warm versions of collimated lights I figured there would also be interest in collimated lights that offered high CRI and not just warm or neutral CCT.

Whatever it is you would like from me, please do the best you can to be clear and concise about it so that I don't screw up your request!!

Thanks!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

email just sent for high cri head only, thanks Don!!

in edit, Unique Transaction ID #0E34001850290470W
    Last edited by pwatcher; 10-23-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Ti mule arrived - GORGEOUS - beautiful in classic McGizmo style, and the beam is a perfect tint.

Bravo, Don! I'll be posting photos/beamshots by the weekend....

I'm looking forward to your shots Dan! Please feel free to add anything to this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...58#post3575558

Don,

My light(s) arrived today as well. Very pleasing tint and great color rendition as advertised.

I like the Mule, but prefer the more traditional beam of the Haiku.

Thanks for the super fast service.

ditto to kudo comments above! received my Haiku head today, and love the quality of the beam. really happy now with my small stable of McGizmo lights - from sapphire to sundrops to mule to Haiku's to Makai!

covers all the bases for me!

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post

I haven't mentioned the option of the 2xAA pak either here or in the Mule wave because at the moment, I am out of 2xAA paks! Oops! There are some in the works but no ETA as of yet.

Surprisingly, there seems to be a lot more initial interest in the Mule with the 119 than there is in the Haiku with the 119. I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise but with the interest in warm versions of collimated lights I figured there would also be interest in collimated lights that offered high CRI and not just warm or neutral CCT.

I got my Mule yesterday and compared it a long time yesterday evening to the SunDrop and the PD-Mule.

The Nichia 119 seems to be exactly the emitter to my gusto! For my personnal needs it is more than powerfull enough (on the Mule), it has THE tint I like best and it renders colors pretty well.

Why a Mule (first) and not a Haiku? I think that we associate high CRI and neutral tint more to floody lights. If you want to reder colors, you need an even beam, Lux variations also vary the rendition. Personnally, I have a Haiku XR-E and an XP-G already, so the Mule was first choice for these both reasons...

Things turned out as I expected them to, the Mule gave me appetite for the Haiku. The lower performance of the Nichia 119 compared to the Cree XP-G maybe another reason to hesitate, but after having fallen in love with the Mule, it is quite clear that I would trade the Lumens of my Haiku XP-G immediately for the creamy and sunny tint of the high CRI.

So, you're right to speak of initial interest, the one in the Haiku has been created. Currently, I'm as usually, anyway I'll wait for the 2xAA paks to be in stock again, by the end of december I hope...

My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Hi Don,

Can your Nichia 119 CRi LE, from a Mule, be transplanted into a Haiku head without any modifications?

I refer to your Haiku XP-G thread where you add electrical isolation by putting some kapton masks over the solder and trace of the LED leads on the XP-G LE. I presume to stop the reflector making contact?

With the die size being similar, is this still the case? Thanks!

Bass,
    Yes, the 119 LE from the Mule can be used in the Haiku XP-G head but I would advise some kapton tape just for security. I add it to those 119LE's that I use in the Haiku High CRI builds. The O-ring alone should take care of the needed isolation and stand off of reflector from solder pads but I feel better with the tape in place as well.

What about coating the solder pads with nail polish and allowing to dry for 24 hours before reinstalling? Is that suitable as well, or will the edge of the reflector cut through the nail polish even after it's fully dry?

The reflector shouldn't be in contact with the MCPCB provided the O-ring is in place. I considered nail polish and it might be just fine but the kapton tape is nice and thin and quite durable in itself as well as obvious in its presence or absence.

Thanks for the clarification Don.

I can't find it listed in your offerings but working backwards through your UV offering, I calculate the Haiku head (without LE) to be $145 - am I close !?

Just to clarify - I can use the Nichia UV and 119 LE's with the Haiku head, with the 'o'ring in place and kapton tape adds additional safety?

Thanks

Hi Bass,
    I will sell an empty Haiku head (w/ XR-E or XP-G) reflector for $150 plus postage but whoever gets one of these needs to know what they are doing with it.

The 119LE will work with the XP-G reflector as is being offered here. The UV LE will not. It requires a modified XR-E reflector. The modification is the removal of the LED centering cup on the rear of the reflector.

Flashaholic

Does anyone have any beam shots from the Haiku High CRI?

I am thinking about converting my XP-G Haiku to the High CRI. I know Don just mentioned the reflector will "work" but is it the same as the one that you would receive if purchased new or have modifications been made?

Thanks
    Last edited by bmcgators98; 04-21-2011 at 07:57 AM.

bmcgators98,
    Same reflector and coupling O-ring used with XP-G or High CRI 119 LE's in the Haiku. Can't hwlp you with the beam shots.

This question may have been answered before, but I don't see the answer here. Is there a variant of the Hi-CRI LE available with a 2-cell driver? I understand the emitter can't handle more power than the 1-cell driver can already provide and that any benefit would be to extended runtime, assuming the option exists at all.

Oops, responded in the other thread already. I can drop the drive level via sense resistor change on the buck (6V) converter so that it is appropriate and viable with the Nichia High CRI LED's.

Okay, thanks. I thought you might answer in the other thread, but it seemed appropriate to ask the question and have it answered in the sale thread as well.

Another question: do you have any thermal images of a Hi-CRI Haiku that's been left to run on High for the same amount of time as the Haiku XR-E in your original Haiku thread? I'd like to know whether it's feasible to leave a Hi-CRI Haiku running as a photography light for an extended period of time without it getting too hot to hold. The 167mA lower power consumption ought to be worth at least a few degrees of lower surface temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Another question: do you have any thermal images of a Hi-CRI Haiku that's been left to run on High for the same amount of time as the Haiku XR-E in your original Haiku thread? I'd like to know whether it's feasible to leave a Hi-CRI Haiku running as a photography light for an extended period of time without it getting too hot to hold. The 167mA lower power consumption ought to be worth at least a few degrees of lower surface temperature.
    No, sorry but I haven't done any thermal tests since then.

Darn.

What is the temperature of high CRI and the warm XP-G? Been thinking of getting a high CRI but I am not sure if I should have gone ahead with the warm XP-G instead. Thing is, some manufacturers use the term warm to actually mean neutral white (Zebralight is one) so I am not sure what I would be expecting if I went with warm. Really warm? Or neutral white that is quite close to the high CRI?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

"Hi-CRI" just means "colored objects look the same as if they were lit by sunlight." As you know, sunlight changes tint during the day, but it is always 100% CRI. As I understand it, Don's Hi-CRI emitters are comparable to mid-morning or late afternoon sunlight.

(yes, I know that's a simplistic explanation, but it should be good enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    "Hi-CRI" just means "colored objects look the same as if they were lit by sunlight." As you know, sunlight changes tint during the day, but it is always 100% CRI. As I understand it, Don's Hi-CRI emitters are comparable to mid-morning or late afternoon sunlight.

(yes, I know that's a simplistic explanation, but it should be good enough.)
    Thanks for helping my friend, but I think I failed to explain myself properly. My apologies.

I know what high CRI is about and I have owned a few high CRI lights except the McGizmo ones. Compared my 100 lumen high CRI HDS clicky to my friend's Haiku high CRI and found the HDS to be brighter, maybe almost twice as bright (visually)?

So the question is, since the warm XP-G Haiku is definitely running brighter than the high CRI Haiku, would I be better off getting the warm XP-G Haiku instead if I want brighter? I would like to know the color temp of the warm XP-G before coming to a decision. And if possible, the CRI rating of the warm XP-G used in the Haiku?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Flashaholic*

I've owned both the Haiku Warm XP-G and the Haiku high CRI. The output difference is very small wi slightly more output with the warm led. Te difference in output was not enough to sway me from keeping the high CRI and selling the warm. The color rendition of the high CRI is worth a slight decrease in output.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by nystrpr View Post
    I've owned both the Haiku Warm XP-G and the Haiku high CRI. The output difference is very small wi slightly more output with the warm led. Te difference in output was not enough to sway me from keeping the high CRI and selling the warm. The color rendition of the high CRI is worth a slight decrease in output.
    Thanks! My preference sway towards the high CRI since I am a high CRI junkie right now but the output on my high CRI HDS clicky on max is about as low as I would like my light to achieve. If there is no major difference in output between the warm XP-G and the high CRI Nichia 119, then I would rather stick with the high CRI.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    What is the temperature of high CRI and the warm XP-G? Been thinking of getting a high CRI but I am not sure if I should have gone ahead with the warm XP-G instead. Thing is, some manufacturers use the term warm to actually mean neutral white (Zebralight is one) so I am not sure what I would be expecting if I went with warm. Really warm? Or neutral white that is quite close to the high CRI?
    Per Don's Nichia High CRI 119 LED thread, the Nichia CCT is a minimum 4500k (sw45) with a 92 CRI. The same thread states that the Haiku High CRI has a 90 lumen output on high as measured in Don's sphere.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...gh-CRI-119-LED

The warn XP-G used is a R4 Cree 5B1. Cree labels it as neutral white. The CCT is approx. 4000k. See posts 121 and 132 in the below thread. In post 180, Dan (run4jc) measured 150 lumens in his own integrating sphere. The CRI is typically 75 per Cree's website.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-G-flashlights

So, CCT should be close between the two. CRI is where the Nichia is much better.

I have the High CRI Mule and the "warm" XP-G Haiku. I went with the warm Haiku because I wanted more lumens.

It's worth noting that the 60-lumen difference between the Nichia and Cree XP-G Warm emitters will be most obvious in two scenarios: 1) lighting up something far away, or 2) spot-lighting something that's already partially lit by area lighting.

The first scenario would benefit the most from a cool emitter anyway, because cool emitters are always produce the most lumens per watt. In the second scenario, if the purpose is photography, you definitely want to use a Hi-CRI emitter for spot-lighting because the camera will show the skewing effects from a non-Hi-CRI emitter much more strongly than your own vision will; if the purpose isn't photography, the tint of the emitter probably doesn't matter anyway since you already have area lighting skewing your retinas' perception of color.

General task-lighting, such as lighting up the sidewalk on a nighttime walk or fiddling with circuit breakers in a dark basement, won't be significantly affected by the lower output of the Hi-CRI emitter. All of this is to say, if you want a warm emitter, you might as well get a Hi-CRI emitter anyway, just so you have that option available to you.

Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast