Battery Junction - Olight
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Mule Wave

Default Re: Titanium Mule Wave

That's a great design for a camera+flashlight rig, Don. Can you make, or do you know someone who can make, a version that has a 1/4" male stud on top for a camera and a 1/4" female socket underneath to attach to a tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    That's a great design for a camera+flashlight rig, Don. Can you make, or do you know someone who can make, a version that has a 1/4" male stud on top for a camera and a 1/4" female socket underneath to attach to a tripod?
    It sounds like you are looking for a simple collar that has a 1/4x20 threaded hole on top and bottom that will fit over a 1" OD flashlight head with say a set screw to fix it to the head?

In the example pictured above, the flashlight itself can be mounted on a tripod by virtue of the 1/4'x20 hole in the clip.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Something like that, yes, but it would be nice if the collar were adjustable, which means a clamp would probably be a more practical basis for the design.

It's true that a light with one of your tripod-mount clips could attach directly to a tripod with a camera clamped on top of the light, but that would cantilever the camera far forward of the tripod, making the whole assembly rather wobbly. It would be much better for stability if the female 1/4" socket and the male 1/4" stud were aligned vertically with each other, especially for heavy cameras.

Don, there are a number or reasons why this pic entices me, the least of which is the 1/4" x 20 tap clip. Given that, I am SOLD on a Mule High CRI with the new tap clip. E-Mail sent!

Last edited by arewethereyetdad; 06-19-2012 at 01:05 PM.

The display stand isn't included with the purchase, Dad. Just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    The display stand isn't included with the purchase, Dad. Just so you know.
    Man, I know! I got the box on Saturday and there wasn't anything there except a little flashlight.

Don takes The BEST photos for his marketing materials. There's always some gorgeous creature in them, whether it's a sea horse or a turtle or one of his beach babe girlfriends.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Don takes The BEST photos for his marketing materials. There's always some gorgeous creature in them, whether it's a sea horse or a turtle or one of his beach babe girlfriends.
    In this case, I believe it's his niece.

Mule High CRI head with 3S LE
    What body can I use this head with? any surefire body and tail?

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    Mule High CRI head with 3S LE
    What body can I use this head with? any surefire body and tail?
    Depends on the Voltage, if its a 3v then any 1X123 or 2XAA bodies, if its the 6v then 2X123 bodies

So any Surefire e series will fit depending on either the Mule head is made for 1 or 2 cell.

Mule, Haiku,Sundrop and Makai heads are all compatible with E series bodies

Don,
    This light is 3volt? RCR 123's are out of the question? Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by De-Lux View Post
    Don,
    This light is 3volt? RCR 123's are out of the question? Thanks for your time.
    RCR123's are fine with the current converters I am building with. The converters themselves do not have any low voltage protection so you need to look to the battery(s) for this but other than that, no problem.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don,
    Thanks for the quick reply. One last question, What is the UI for this light? Multi-mode? L/M/H a possibility? Moon light mode? Thanks again.
    Last edited by De-Lux; 08-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.

All of Don's currently-available lights are L/M/H, except the Sapphire, which is single-mode.

Someone mentioned the 2xAA tube can only be used with a 3V light engine. It can also be used with a 6V light engine, if you use 14500 batteries instead of AA batteries.

Fyrstormer,
    Thanks for the reply. Very helpful information.

Sorry. One last question for anyone kind enough to respond. What is the lumen output in low, medium, and high mode? I would love a low level in the sub lumen range. Thanks again

None of Don's lights go anywhere near 1 lumen.

Quote Originally Posted by De-Lux View Post
    Sorry. One last question for anyone kind enough to respond. What is the lumen output in low, medium, and high mode? I would love a low level in the sub lumen range. Thanks again
    The low on Haiku and Mule is somewhere in the ballpark of 5 lumens plus or minus, based on my unprofessional eyeball judging.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Email Sent.

My Mule just arrived in the desert! This is a fantastic light!

Thought I would revive this thread by letting you that as a photographer with a studio that pretty much works on location, I have a ton of clamps, grip arms, goosenecks, booms and stands with 1/4-20 threads.

Look at the Manfrotto Nano Clamp system -- wonderful but expensive...even for guys that spend what we do on flashlights. I have one on a C Stand in my den and can clamp any light to it. It is a mini hydraulic arm.

The standard issue super clamp system can put cameras, strobes, and even flashlights, anywhere in seconds. NASA used the super clamp on the space shuttle. If you want to upgrade to the Avenger line they have nice polished clamps.

I use Matthews, Avenger, Really Right Stuff, Arca Swiss and others for photography, however, I can use all this gear to hang flashlights. Most of our house is lit with photographic lighting - umbrellas and soft boxes on C-Stands.

A small C stand, grip arm and 1/4-20 stud can put your light in any position you like very fast. Note: if you use a C stand sandbag the small leg.

Thanks, don for the cool lights.

Best,

NR
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Awesome tip, RedLed, thanks!

Cool stuff RedLed. I have done some similar stuff using Noga dial indicator arms but the Manfroto is already set up with the right kind of terminals.

Thanks, Don. If anyone has any questions feel free to E-mail me since by default, I have to keep up with the latest gear.

One thing is if you have an old camera store (Rare these days) where you live, the 1/4-20 size on camera equipment must go back several decades, maybe to the 30's, so there are a lot of clamps you can find for next to nothing. Also the next size up is 3/8 and there are all kinds of 1/4 to 3/8 - 3/8 to 1/4 adapters. I have found some wonderful old clamps in old camera stores for a dollar of two.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

email sent!

Is there a link to a thread explaining all the products (and specs) that Don makes? The threads I'm finding are very old and probably have outdated info about lumens and stuff

Duh never mind found them

I think the current best seller would be the Haiku. It is only available in XM-L cool white and High CRI with Nichia 119 emitter. If I am not wrong, I think Don is discontinuing the Makai but you may have to check with him.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Oh ok. I just remember reading that the Mule is the best option if you love flood