Tigerlight may be the best bang for the buck

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing like mixing things up a bit, but I was just doing an inventory on all of my lights and other than the little edc stuff,(L4,McLux,Arc LSL-P) I don't believe there is more bang for the buck light available than the Tigerlight that I always seem to ignore because it is so commercial. But when you factor in brightness, throw and operational costs with a rechargeable battery, I never seem to second guess myself when I turn it on because I always know that I can charge it up, no sweat. I sometimes think the Tigerlight doesn't get enough respect. I thought I'd make this short and sweet. I love my edc lights but in fact, if you need real light, Tigerlight is a good call. This isn't a comparison of what one might want walking through he woods but it's a good place to start /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

richpalm

Banned
I just got back from vacation in Cape May, NJ-for those of you that are not familiar there is a half-sunken derelict at the very southern tip off Sunset Beach. The derelict is at least 1/4 mile offshore and my Tigerlight lit it up with no problems. Kewl! Now I really appreciate it.

Wish I had more lights with me... what a place to do throw tests.

Rich

sidespill

Enlightened
yeah just got mine from meridian the other day. cpf special $89 bucks. i don't believe there are many lights at this price with such a big light output.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm saving up for mine now. Not sure which I want though. I'm hoping that a modular version will be released.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine on sale for $85 I believe. People talk about comparison with it and the $280 Surefire M6 but when you factor in that it's rechargeable, bright and relatively cost effective, it's hard to beat. It just doesn't seem to get any respect, even here on this thread, not many people are commenting on it. It's kind of an invisible light that doesn't exist in anyone's conscience. People were spending $70 for the micro-illuminator(myself included) on a light that wouldn't even be an after thought to a Tigerlight were it not for it's size.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I bought two TL's during the recent half-off sell thinking a friend of mine [a closet flashaholic] would buy #2 at cost, but I didn't check with him in advance. When I told him I would have an extra he said he wouldn't really be interested in spending that much money on a flashlight [no big deal ... I would have sold it on B/S/T or eBay after the sale was over].

So when it arrived I brought it into work and let him "borrow" it over the weekend [hehehe], Monday he brought in the ca$h.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
I think that the term "best bang for the buck" is basically a budget issue when you compare different brands of lights. If you have a low budget, it might be a mini magnum... with a high budget it might be a Surefire. If you are comparing within a brand, best bang for the buck would definitely have to be that half off sale though. Nice buy!
David <><

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
keithhr,

The TigerLight is probably the next light I'm going to buy. Everyone who has one loves it. Size15s said that it was the best non-SF flashlight investment he's ever made! Now THAT's a recommendation. I love that it has gold contacts. I hope that Flashlightlens.com has lenses for the TL again before I buy one. Sounds like a great light at a great price. HA III to boot. How could you go wrong? I only wish that it re-charged faster, because people tell me the battery is NOT quick change AND cannot be recharged outside of the flashlight. I don't like the thought that after 1.1 hrs. I'm sunk until after a 10 hr recharge. Ah well, that's OK. Considering how great a deal they are, one could just buy TWO! (Of course, then the temptation would be too great to go out in the dark with BOTH of them!)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jim,

I have two TigerLights and love them both.

A word of caution. If you install a glass lens and happen to drop the light on the bezel, it will probably break the lens. On the other hand, if you run the light for an hour with the supplied lens, it will start to melt the lens.

I installed a UCL lens on one of my lights and left the other stock.

Oh, did I mention that I think they are really great lights?

Tom

tinyE

Newly Enlightened
I thought that I did through research on this light during the recent sale, and thought I was seeing mediocre opinions of it - causing me not to act....but based on the comments I'm seeing now, I think I regret not acting on it.

If anyone bought an extra 8" you'd like to sell, let me know....Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox,

WHEN I buy a TL (or two) I definitely intend to install one of flashlightlens.com's lenses with the LDF. I'll just buy a couple extra in case of breakage, although I understand that he's working on a solution to the problem of UCL breakage in TigerLights.

Question for you: how do you carry your TL(s)? Are they really heavy? How EDCable are they? Not at all? Somewhat? What about carrying one in a holster on the belt? I was going to buy a TL right away, but I held off and bought a SF D2 with some extra goodies instead because I was worried that the TL would spend too much time sitting at home on its charger. I thought that I would be much more likely to carry the D2, and I really wanted to own a SureFire, but it was touch and go for a week or so. I couldn't decide. A light that can be compared to an M6 for $100 or so!? WOW! Plus it's rechargeable. I almost regret getting the D2 at times. I'm sure I'll be pleased with it when I get it, but I'm itching to get a TigerLight! Tell me how you carry yours, please.

paulr

Flashaholic
From what I understand the TL is not a rechargeable flashlight, it's a flashlight with a rechargeable battery inside. You can do something comparable by dropping NiMH cells into your Gaglite or whatever. IMO a rechargeable flashlight means a light you can recharge like a cell phone, by dropping it into a charger or plugging in a charge cord, i.e. you shouldn't have to open up the light and remove the batteries. The TL does sound like a good value and if the non-OC version goes on sale sometime I'll be tempted.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
From what I understand the TL is not a rechargeable flashlight, it's a flashlight with a rechargeable battery inside. You can do something comparable by dropping NiMH cells into your Gaglite or whatever. IMO a rechargeable flashlight means a light you can recharge like a cell phone, by dropping it into a charger or plugging in a charge cord, i.e. you shouldn't have to open up the light and remove the batteries. The TL does sound like a good value and if the non-OC version goes on sale sometime I'll be tempted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not sure where you got this info but it is not correct the TL goes in a charger very much like the one for Streamlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nikemboka

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Tigerlight when it was on sale and I don't regret it. It is the brightest light I have seen for the price. I have a holster ordered but it is on backorder. Everyone at the plant can't believe the output.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jim,

First off let me clear things up. I EDC an ARC LSH-P. I use the TigerLight when I want to reach out further than the ARC can go.

I believe the Mag Lite accessories will fit the TigerLight. The TigerLight is just a little bit bigger in diameter and just a bit longer than the Mag 2D. The FBOP TigerLight would be just a bit shorter of course. On camping trips (not backpacking) I throw it in my pack. When I am out for a walk, I just drop it in my front pocket (I have deep pockets).

The only thing that takes a little getting use to is the location of the off/on switch.

The Tigerlight looks like it should be heavy, but the response I usually get when I hand it to someone is that they can not believe it isn't heavy. It is lighter (by a little) than the 2D Mag.

paulr, your understanding of the TigerLight is WRONG. It is a rechargeable flashlight. As a matter of fact, it would be a royal pain to take the batteries out and recharge them separately.

You should give in to your temptation and get one (or two...).

Tom

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Question for you: how do you carry your TL(s)? Are they really heavy? How EDCable are they? Not at all? Somewhat? What about carrying one in a holster on the belt?

[/ QUOTE ]

TL's are somewhat on the heavy side and about the size of a 2 D-Cell [without O/C] or 3 D-Cell [with O/C] Maglite, not a great EDC light IMHO.

Belt holster would probably work, but I wouldn't consider it unless you have an EDC requirement that demands a really powerful light [like a LEO]. I would even guess that most LEO's would leave it on the charging cradle in their patrol unit until they need it.

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks for the clarification on the recharger. Yes, I may get one sometime. I don't really have a use for one right now and am trying to conserve cash, but maybe one of these days. For now my "bright" light is a PT Surge, which has various drawbacks but is satisfactory for my purposes.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 11.5 inch model is very light (when it doesn't have the OC in it, that would make it about 4 ounces heavier). The 8 inch FBOP model would be even lighter since it doesn't have as much aluminum in it. When I was first handed one, I was very surprised by how light it was. Both might be a little big to EDC. They both have a larger diamter body than a D cell Mag. The FBOP might be easy to carry in the back pocket, though maybe not the most secure if running or jmping. Not in dress pants, but in a pair of jeans.
The Tigerlight is a great light.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to get rid of most of my lights, TigerLight is one I would definitely keep. I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing it. The TL is head and shoulders above the UltraStinger and MagCharger IMHO.

For you people who are concerned about its charging, I'm sure you could make a faster charger for it. It will never charge quite as quick as the Mag or US since it uses Nimh vs nicad, but you could speed up the charge process quite a bit.

The TL has its flaws, but even with them, at its price it is far superior to everything in its class.

Mark

Latest posts