Secure System Wipe Software?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be good to use on a machine to get ride of files that are secure. I see that forensic software can be had that will find files that were simply deleted. What can be used to get rid of files using multiple wipes or writes?

Thanks

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
That depends on wether or not you are going to wipe the entire disk (simply formatting it isn't secure at all) or wipe individual files. For individual files, I use the included "shredder" in the freeware package "SpyBot Search and Destroy". Simply drag and drop, select how many passes (shreddings as they call it) and voila!
For entire hard drive erasure and wiping, I use KillDisk by LSoft. Freeware version works just as well as the pro version does. The Pro version is 30 bucks and can do U.S. Department of Defense certified cleaning of the harddrive.

Ed.

kev1-1

Enlightened
thanks for the link e=mc²! However, it is probably just me being stupid...but the instructions state that you should make a windows boot disk and then copy the killdisk.exe file to it. For me though, the windows boot disk does not have enough space for this file?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 –

Thanks.

e=mc² -

Shredder looks like the ticket. I should have looked at all the stuff in the freeware thread. Thanks

LED-FX –

Thanks for that one.

Quickbeam –

Thanks for the other link.

kev1-1

What was the fix?

James S. –

Why are smart people so curious? Actually it would be evidence of chats and evidence of my trips to the Café.