ArmyTek
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mind Reading BC - 900

  1. #1
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Two Rivers, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,828

    Default Mind Reading BC - 900

    I'd find my experience of the past several years difficult to believe had someone else told the tale, however ...

    On a significant number of occasions (~30% - 50%?) whichever parameter I want to view is the only one that tries to elude me. For example, if I want to know voltage, capacity or elapsed time, that one reading will be skipped over as I toggle through the choices. After several "rotations" the parameter will eventually be displayed.

    In my case, it's me and not the BC - 900 which gets burned up.
    I'm absolutely certain that I need another flashlight.

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* 45/70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rural Ohio
    Posts
    2,800

    Default Re: Mind Reading BC - 900

    Hey jayflash, I have the same problem. At least you're not alone! I wonder how they programed them to do that?

    Seriously, I think it has to do with the buttons on these chargers. Not the best setup, for sure. It often takes me many tries, scrolling through the choices, before I get what I want when programming. They just don't make very good contact, even if you clean them up.

    Some have replaced the buttons with micro switches. Personally, I really don't want to invest in the time and trouble to do that, although, it is a good solution.

    Dave
    Last edited by 45/70; 10-26-2010 at 06:08 PM.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* TakeTheActive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central NJ, USA
    Posts
    830

    Lightbulb BOUNCING La Crosse BC-700/900/9009 Buttons...

    Quote Originally Posted by jayflash View Post
    ...On a significant number of occasions (~30% - 50%?) whichever parameter I want to view is the only one that tries to elude me. For example, if I want to know voltage, capacity or elapsed time, that one reading will be skipped over as I toggle through the choices. After several "rotations" the parameter will eventually be displayed...
    1. Press the Display button *FIRMLY*, from VARIOUS ANGLES, 100 times in succession.
      .
    2. Press the Display button *ONCE* with normal pressure.
      • Did you receive the desired result?
        1. YES - DONE.
        2. NO - Go to #1.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mind Reading BC - 900

    This is a very funny post, I thought I was the only one with this problem. Seems like no matter which mode I try to choose, it jumps right over it at least 3 times!

    Quote Originally Posted by jayflash View Post
    I'd find my experience of the past several years difficult to believe had someone else told the tale, however ...

    On a significant number of occasions (~30% - 50%?) whichever parameter I want to view is the only one that tries to elude me. For example, if I want to know voltage, capacity or elapsed time, that one reading will be skipped over as I toggle through the choices. After several "rotations" the parameter will eventually be displayed.

    In my case, it's me and not the BC - 900 which gets burned up.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* Ray_of_Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    West Midlands, U.K.
    Posts
    1,144

    Default Re: Mind Reading BC - 900

    The BC-900 (in Europe is the RS-900) requires 200 mS to register the press action from the pushbuttons.

    Those pushbuttons are of low-medium quality and sometime doesn't make contact properly.

    The two mentioned factors, when you are cycling through the readings, often compounds togheter producing the confounding effect you mentioned.

    As a workaround, I suggest you to "aim" at the value preceeding the one you want really get to.

    Regards

    Anthony
    Last edited by Ray_of_Light; 10-27-2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
    VENI, COLLUXI, VICI.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* Turbo DV8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Mind Reading BC - 900

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_of_Light View Post
    As a workaround, I suggest you to "aim" at the value preceeding the one you want really get to.
    Funny, the Maha C-9000 has a similar issue, but not when pressing the button repeatedly. When holding a button down and cycling through the slots or a parameter, when you reach the desired displayed value or slot, when you let off the button, it always registers it as another button push, and cycles to the following parameter ... the one after the one you wanted!

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* bshanahan14rulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,794

    Default Re: Mind Reading BC - 900

    In the older models, there is a thermistor and a mind-reading transmogrification diode. Newer models just have two thermistors.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Mind Reading BC - 900

    Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    In the older models, there is a thermistor and a mind-reading transmogrification diode. Newer models just have two thermistors.
    Akin to a flux-capacitor?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •