Inquiring minds want to know.....

prof student

Enlightened
Ok, well at least mine does.

So, here is the issue. BEFORE any one goes "oh, they are so cheap, just buy a new one", that isn't the issue here!

I have an old mini maglite incan. The other day it just suddenly stopped working. Put in new batteries, nothing. Put in a new light bulb, nothing. Then I thought maybe the nitize tailcap crapped out on me. Put the original tailcap on there, stillllll nothing.

Took the same batteries and light bulb in another mini mag, and viola. It worked.

The plastic casing where the light bulb goes in (in the older mini mag), was loose, but it always has been. But I think I made it looser when I took it apart to try to get the older batteries out. There is some corrosion or is it dried up battery acid perhaps in the middle of the tube. I didn't see any at the top though. The metal that makes contact from the plastic parts to the battery looks ok. Not shiny, but not oxidized.

Now, what do you think is wrong that it died on me?

What could possible be done to make work again?

Should I have not taken apart the plastic parts?

Thanks.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have a loose contact on the bulb socket

It's pretty cheap and easy to replace (the whole plastic bit gets replaced)

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Since you have already purchased a nite ize tailcap and if you plan to replace the plastic switch assembly, you might as well spring for a Terralux Ministar 2 TLE 5EX LED. 140 lumens, potentially, of bright white regulated light without losing the ability to focus! Yes, I know we are talking incans here but an incan bulb will never realize the true potential of this well built but poorly performing stock flashlight.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give MagLite CS a call and tell them that you've replaced the bulb and batteries and it still does not work. They will send you a new switch assembly, which comprises the two black plastic pieces, as well as an installation tool. I want to say, "no questions asked" but they will ask questions, like, "is there visible corrosion in the battery tube?" "What's your address?" etc.