Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ti Mule Nichia 119 High CRI - Arrived !! - Lots of images

Default Re: Ti Mule Nichia 119 High CRI - Arrived !! - Lots of images

Below is photo comparing the beams of a Sundrop 3S 083B and a HDS 140 GT. It's interesting how different the Hi CRI beam is compared with a 'Guaranteed Tint' emitter.

James....
    Quote Originally Posted by souptree View Post
    Your photos are FANTASTIC.!!! I admit to feeling a little let down though.... I was hoping for some pics showing the beam and color rendering, particularly compared to other lights.

Don, time to break out the Tide bottle!!
    removed

Hi James, personally I always find the 140 GT to be too cool for my liking. When I ordered the 140 GT then, I was expecting to get something that looks like a creamy white tint. Anyway, I sold it off to Kaichu Dento whose friend needed a replacement clicky which he had lost. It's still a nice light, I just thought that I don't need it since I have a 170 Tactical and 100 high CRI at that time.

The tint from the Sundrop is beautiful, and so is the Mule high CRI. I had a hard time deciding which one I should be getting, but I ended up with the high CRI Mule. I am glad I did because I just love the amazingly smooth wall of light without hotspot.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Hey, speaking of that 140GT, I was talking to him the other day, and although he really preferred the hCRI of my light and his first Clicky, says he's still very, very happy. Still must say though that with lights that I expected to have a warmer tint than they were in actuality, both the 140GT and Sundrop were much cooler than I'd hoped for and I suspect that with my present experience with McG's, this hCRI Mule is the one I see on my horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Hi James, personally I always find the 140 GT to be too cool for my liking. When I ordered the 140 GT then, I was expecting to get something that looks like a creamy white tint. Anyway, I sold it off to Kaichu Dento whose friend needed a replacement clicky which he had lost. It's still a nice light, I just thought that I don't need it since I have a 170 Tactical and 100 high CRI at that time. The tint from the Sundrop is beautiful, and so is the Mule high CRI. I had a hard time deciding which one I should be getting, but I ended up with the high CRI Mule. I am glad I did because I just love the amazingly smooth wall of light without hotspot.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I think it's time I finally order a custom light.
    To the OP: Excellent pics but I prefer the LP to the Strat

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Hey, speaking of that 140GT, I was talking to him the other day, and although he really preferred the hCRI of my light and his first Clicky, says he's still very, very happy. Still must say though that with lights that I expected to have a warmer tint than they were in actuality, both the 140GT and Sundrop were much cooler than I'd hoped for and I suspect that with my present experience with McG's, this hCRI Mule is the one I see on my horizon.
    Good to know. I have always been wondering how your friend like the 140GT.

Anyway, the high CRI on McGizmo lights are cooler in tint than the ones offered by HDS. Personally I am not sure which one I prefer. I guess I like both very much, and since getting my High CRI Haiku and Mule, I have been using them everyday. Do note that the Mule is really a very specialized light. It is excellent when used in built up areas, but I think the only application outdoors I could think of would be an around the campsite light. I prefer the Haiku for an outdoors light and if I need more flood a Surefire F04 diffuser works quite well with it.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Good to know. I have always been wondering how your friend like the 140GT.

Anyway, the high CRI on McGizmo lights are cooler in tint than the ones offered by HDS. Personally I am not sure which one I prefer. I guess I like both very much, and since getting my High CRI Haiku and Mule, I have been using them everyday. Do note that the Mule is really a very specialized light. It is excellent when used in built up areas, but I think the only application outdoors I could think of would be an around the campsite light. I prefer the Haiku for an outdoors light and if I need more flood a Surefire F04 diffuser works quite well with it.
    That's a valuable point for anyone thinking about a mule-style beam pattern. They're great for campsite, room search or other close-range usage, but no good for trail running as the beam is too bright right at your feet, with no light reaching down the trail or road.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

If you want the smooth even beam with a bit more throw a SunDrop would probably fit better.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    If you want the smooth even beam with a bit more throw a SunDrop would probably fit better.
    That's basically what we're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Z'ha'dum View Post
    I think it's time I finally order a custom light.
    To the OP: I prefer the LP to the Strat
    Me, too...just more color in the Strat....just fyi, Bass was the OP and gets credit for some of the very nicest photos of lights I've ever seen! His photos are why I bumped the thread - not my photos!

Thanks for the reference Dan and also for bumping up this thread! I've been following the renewed interest in Don's CRI models on the forum and it's great to see. These really are the most amazing lights in terms of looks, build, function and utility.

I'll leave the excellent beamshots to Dan, he's so much better at it but I do have a new Mule shot to share Taken just before the Autumn and the shedding of the Maples beautifull colour leaves.

That, sir, is a pretty picture...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    That, sir, is a pretty picture...
    +1!!!

Made me go get my Mule.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!

You know Bass, I had initially wanted only a Haiku when I wanted to try out McGizmo for the first time but it is your photos that convinced me I also needed a Mule. I ended up buying both together. I am a full time photographer and I really appreciate nice photos. Thanks for getting me where I am! The Mule is really a beauty!

There is something about the raw look of the Ti Mule head, emitter and PCB and wires exposed, that is very industrial yet exceptionally attractive looking. When it comes to the "business end", it is one of my favorite lights to gaze upon. Very nice pics buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    There is something about the raw look of the Ti Mule head, emitter and PCB and wires exposed, that is very industrial yet exceptionally attractive looking. When it comes to the "business end", it is one of my favorite lights to gaze upon. Very nice pics buddy.
    Couldn't agree more with you buddy. Simply love the business end of the Mule.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Thanks for the reference Dan and also for bumping up this thread! I've been following the renewed interest in Don's CRI models on the forum and it's great to see. These really are the most amazing lights in terms of looks, build, function and utility.

I'll leave the excellent beamshots to Dan, he's so much better at it but I do have a new Mule shot to share Taken just before the Autumn and the shedding of the Maples beautifull colour leaves.
    Man - what you do with a camera is awesome. Beautiful, awesome photo. The colors are amazing. I would love to see that taken with large format film!!

I have three quick questions about the Mule:

1. What Kind of lumens should I expect out of the high CRI Mule? And for the XML Mule (while we're at it)?
    2. Could I simply buy the Mule head and use it on the 1x123 Haiku body?
    3. Am I on point that the only Mule purchase options right now are the XML and CRI?

Many thanks!
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post

1. What Kind of lumens should I expect out of the high CRI Mule? And for the XML Mule (while we're at it)?
    3. Am I on point that the only Mule purchase options right now are the XML and CRI?

Many thanks!
    I can't answer # 1, but I can answer the others. Cartainly, the XML Mule will be brighter than the High CRI. What you do need to remember is that the Mule is all flood as it does not have a refector, so a particular lumen output on the Mule will likely seem less when compared to another light with a comparable lumen output and a more focused beam.

For # 2, the High CRI Mule and Haiku share the same 1x123 body, so yes, you could simply buy the Mule head and use it on the 1x123 Haiku body. However, if you have the extra $, I would recommend a complete light. That way, you don't have to keep switching back and forth heads.

For # 3, Don is currently offering the Nichia 119 (High CRI) and XML emitters on the Ti Mule, so you are on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post

Many thanks!
    1. I believe the Nichia 119 LE puts out about 90 lm, while the XM-L LE puts out something like 185 I believe. You can check the relevant wave threads, I think Don has posted figures in those.

2. Yes, but I agree with tsl, complete lights are easier if you can put up the dough.

3. You can put any of Don's light engines in the Mule, whether XM-L, Nichia, or XP-G. Talk to Don about it, he will probably stick whichever one in there you want, the threads are all the same, and there is no reflector to cause interference, so you can mix 'n match with the Mule.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Man - what you do with a camera is awesome. Beautiful, awesome photo. The colors are amazing. I would love to see that taken with large format film!!
    +1. Abolutely fantastic picture. Your photos are incredible, Bass.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Unenlightened

after tracing again n again for five days, I got mine finally. awesome n love this!

one question about the clicky. I can put the light on and off with clicky feelings, but to change the brightness, have to click a bit more stronger and sometimes it dosen't work even the "clicky touch". I mean, to change the brightness, I have to press a bit deeper or further in or stronger than to put on and off. is this usual for the clicky switch?

Quote Originally Posted by maisaac View Post
    after tracing again n again for five days, I got mine finally. awesome n love this!

one question about the clicky. I can put the light on and off with clicky feelings, but to change the brightness, have to click a bit more stronger and sometimes it dosen't work even the "clicky touch". I mean, to change the brightness, I have to press a bit deeper or further in or stronger than to put on and off. is this usual for the clicky switch?
    I had the same "problem" when I got my lights, but after a few times of using it you will understand the feel, timing and sequence to click. Your timing when clicking has got to be accurate, fast enough but not too fast. You do not need to click hard to change the output but you need to make sure the switch is fully disengaged before clicking again. Do note also that when you are using CR123 primary batteries, changing output from high is nearly impossible when the battery is weak.

Unenlightened

You do not need to click hard to change the output but you need to make sure the switch is fully disengaged before clicking again. Do note also that when you are using CR123 primary batteries, changing output from high is nearly impossible when the battery is weak.
    pjandyho, Thanx for your tip. Now I know that I have to get familiar with this switch. also now I'm aware that I get a sign of a weak primaly batteries!

pjandyho, Thanx for your tip. Now I know that I have to get familiar with this switch. also now I'm aware that I get a sign of a weak primaly batteries!
    +1 should be getting my XML Haiku tomorrow now I know what to expect.
    Next will be a mule head when I figure what led I want.

Welcome. Hope you enjoy your new light. Once you get used to the switching sequence you will really appreciate the beauty and functionality of this light.

Wow, thanks for the comparison on colorful objects. Really helps us newbs figure out which LED engine is right for us

Just got my second McGizmo - this Mule is sweet. It's a nice compliment to the Haiku in regards to how I'll use it.

Haiku: EDC, balance of throw and flood
    Mule: close up utility use, camp side light, indoor tasks, photography

Last edited by Vernon; 11-26-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.