• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti Mule Nichia 119 High CRI - Arrived !! - Lots of images

Bass

Enlightened
My Mule touched down in the UK today; so before it gets marked with use, it went into the studio for a few shots :)

It's a bit early for me to comment, I've only had it a few hours but first impressions are very favourable. The Nichia 119 LED has a great colour and the beam is obviously all flood as it's hosted in a Mule. I like it a lot and the extra drive current makes a noticeable difference vs. the Sundrop with regard to flux.

I measure the LED colour temperature at 4650K, using a WhiBal card and Photoshop ACR. I don't have any measuring equipment but ACR WB dropper does a good enough job, I think.

The warmer tint really pops the reds, oranges and yellows from what I have seen so far and renders good contrast. So far it is better than I expected :)

No beamshots I'm afraid. I am hoping Dan (run4jc) will contribute some of his excellent beam and colour comparison shots when he has them. Any one else , please feel free to add shots, comments, reviews etc :thumbsup:

Mc_Gizmo_Mule_Nichia_119_High_CRI_001.jpg

Mc_Gizmo_Mule_Nichia_119_High_CRI_With_Sundrop_005.jpg

Mc_Gizmo_Mule_Nichia_119_High_CRI_With_Sundrop_002.jpg

Mc_Gizmo_Mule_Nichia_119_High_CRI_With_Sundrop_003.jpg

UV_MULE_008a.jpg

Mc_Gizmo_Mule_Nichia_119_High_CRI_With_Sundrop_004.jpg

Mc_Gizmo_Mule_Nichia_119_High_CRI_003.jpg

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wow! Great photos!! You can see the tiny ESD diode on the 119 which I think is a pretty cool addition to the package.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs Nice photos of another beautiful mcgizmo. Hope mine is in the mailbox tomorrow....lovecpf

SFfanman

Enlightened
Agree with all the above - Stunning Job on the photos! :twothumbs

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't help posting a WOW as well... :twothumbs

Those arre terrific to show the lovely details and if my Mule wouldn't be in the mail tomorrow, I'd had to order one immediately. Same for the SunDrop, I never realized how beautiful it really is, probably because of my fingerprints... :rolleyes:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your photos are FANTASTIC.!!! I admit to feeling a little let down though.... I was hoping for some pics showing the beam and color rendering, particularly compared to other lights.

Don, time to break out the Tide bottle!! :crackup:

Bass

Enlightened
Thanks guys! Thanks for all your favourable comments and I am glad you liked the shots.

The Mule was a really good light to photograph. I think the appeal in these shots is the stripped back 'raw' nature of the Mule head. Being able to see the internal workings, LED, solder, wires etc make great subject matter IMO.

Of course, being nice shiny McGizmo Ti helps too :naughty:
Photos look of a professional standard. :goodjob: What camera do you use?

Thanks easilyled - these were shot with a Canon 550D (Rebel T2i) - with the exception of the front on emitter 'on' night shot. This is not my normal gear - I got it for the video function. The 550D is capable of some nice quality files at 100 ISO. All these were all shot with the kit lens; a surprisingly good performer.

nfetterly said:
Very nice photos. Love the vertical shot - I believe there is a color change with the background darker at the bottom - but not sure if it's an illusion or not.

Thanks nfetterly. There is a lightness change but only due to how the light falls onto the black acrylic as it bounces off the wall behind the Mule (light fall off). The colour and lightness of the gradient can be adjusted by the angle you hold the camera onto the subject. Higher up gives you black, lower angle gives you the light gradient effect.

Has anyone else received their Mules yet? What are your thoughts / pics / comments?

:wave:

Bass

Enlightened
Your photos are FANTASTIC.!!! I admit to feeling a little let down though.... I was hoping for some pics showing the beam and color rendering, particularly compared to other lights.

Don, time to break out the Tide bottle!! :crackup:

Thanks souptree. If I get some time this weekend I may do a comparison with the Sundrop.

As the Lux is different on the two, I thought doing the shots on low / medium may be more comparable? Both use the 3S with PWM, giving 'consistent color' regardless of current.

Any thoughts and assistance? Beamshots / colour comparisons are new territory for me.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bass, your shots are awesome!:bow:

Somehow I missed your post and link and ended up posting a couple of crude photos (compared to yours) in the wave thread.

This weekend it is my intent to shoot some photos of the mule, Sundrop XRU, and Haiku with the high cri engine (quick swap) hopefully illuminating a tree in full fall color change. The trees are gorgeous here in Northern Virginia right now. No need for me to take any photos of the light, however, as yours are stunning! The glossy lacquered background is perfect - and your lighting is great.
:twothumbs:twothumbs

Bass

Enlightened
Dan - thanks for your comments!

I'm really keen to see your shots including the Haiku. It was a toss up between the Haiku and the Mule for me.

I imagine the collimated beam in the Haiku is perfect! I look forward to your shots :twothumbs

Bass

Enlightened
Something else arrived today....

Ti Mule head housing a Nichia NCSU033b UV LED light engine :eek:oo:

UV_MULE_0011b.jpg

And it makes the Nichia 119 High CRI and Nichia High CRI 083B LED light engines from a Mule and Sundrop, look like this:

UV_MULE_0013a.jpg

Some more Mule UV and general info: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/246840&page=5

Last edited:

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party::party::party: My mule arrived today, waiting on nightfall to try it out. Its another beauty from Don. THANKS TO DON FOR THE MULE AND BASS FOR THE AWESOME PHOTOS....:twothumbs:rock:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all - Mr. McGizmo has created another winner!! Bass' photos are unbeatable, in my humble opinion, so I won't even attempt to post any new photos of the beautiful Ti Mule, but I did manage to take a few beam shots. Mules and Sundrops aren't really about long distance beam shots - more about near field lighting with high color rendering...so considering it is a bit chilly outside I decided to move the 'party' indoors to try and capture some photos that will show what a great job these lights do!

First up is a fake plant :eek:, but it has nice colors. Photos are with my Canon 40D and a Sigma 18-50 2.8 lens...

This photo is of the plant using my 580 flash...pretty accurate representation of the colors after all the passing of 1s and 0s through cyberspace!
IMG_3965.JPG

1/25 shutter - f/4.0 for the next 4 shots...
IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

Okay, next is one of my guitars - a favorite - a sweet Fender American Strat Deluxe, Sunburst....shot with the flash. Yes, the walls are somewhat beige -
IMG_3975.JPG

These are 1/13 shutter f/4.0
IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3982.JPG

IMG_3981.JPG

You can make your own judgment, but for me, the mule is a major hit! I love my Sundrop, but the wider, even distribution of light is great, and the color rendition is absolutely amazing!!

Way to go, Don - another winner from McGizmo!!