g2z and kl3

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes.

If you'd like some photos of the G2Z-BK and G2Z-OD with the KL3-HA attached then please email me.

Al

( Déjà Vu ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The KL3 will *work* on a G2Z (let me try mine just to be sure... yup, it fits!), but I don't know what kind of thermal management issues might crop up with the KL3 head.
If I remember, somebody once advised me against doing that, but that was a long time ago and I don't know who. But if Al says it's OK, then it's probably OK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thermal management?
Constant-on runtime of what, four hours or so with two SF123As.
I guess you should expect it to get hot if you run it constant-on for four hours. However, I've not heard that the KL3 is troubled by such things.

Al

K-T

*Moderator*
I cannot imagine the KL3 getting hotter than a P60, there shouldnt be any thermal issues. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Azreal911

Enlightened
The KL3 Has NEVER gotten hot on me at all with a G2. Even if it did it'll just be warm to the touch. But i really doubt it with all those fins there increasing the surface area significantly. Just don't hit anyone over the head with it like a club cause it'll hurt with that huge hunk of metal.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Granted that my C2 has more mass than my G2, but after having the KL3 in a constant-on situation from about 9 PM to nearly midnight on the night of the NE blackout, I can say with certainty that the "to the touch" warmth that was evident with the head unit never spread to the rest of the C2.

And that warmth itself is many, many times less than constant-burning a P60 (65-lumens incandescent) for even 10 to 15 minutes.

I would imagine that the mass of the KL3 alone should be more than enough to ward off damage.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't think I've ever had a KL3 on for more than 5-10 minutes at a time so I had no idea what to expect really.
I guess that with the 5W Luxeons getting hot I got carried way or confused or something?

Al

DumboRAT

Enlightened
15s,

LOL, definitely could be! =)

My 5W Mag2C mod definitely heats up way, way more than the KL3, and I would imagine from what I've read on these wonderful Forums about the L4 that this comparison also holds valid in that sector, too.

Honestly, the KL3 heats up very, very little in comparison, and this was even when indoor temps crested 90 degs. F. during that blackout.

=)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

PS: LOL, My friend who was helping me work on the car this afternoon was rather puzzled when my SF P60 started to heat up at around the 10 min. mark. He was, uh, quite alarmed.... =)

Geheim

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing that the KL3 would also work on the regular G2? The G2Z and G2 both seem to use the same heads.

Chad

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Thermal management?
Constant-on runtime of what, four hours or so with two SF123As.
I guess you should expect it to get hot if you run it constant-on for four hours. However, I've not heard that the KL3 is troubled by such things.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]
That's good to know then. I've heard you shouldn't put a KL bezel on a non-metal SureFire because of thermal issues, but if YOU say it's OK, then it's very probably OK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You and PK truly know about these flashlights, and I really trust your assessments about them - including saying it's OK to screw a KL3 bezel onto a G2Z body. Which is exactly where mine is now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I wouldn't say I was an expert in Luxeons or SureFire's use of them but I do know that the KL3 does not have a warning of any kind against using it on a Nitrolon SureFire.

Al

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Listen to Al! He knows Surefires! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ANY question you need to know about Surefires, e-mail Al and he will take the time to get back to you and give you wonderful recommendations. Thanks Al for what you do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just received my first G2 a few weeks ago and I can't tell you how much I like this "plastic" light! I thought I would NEVER like a plastic Surefire, (I know, I know the correct term is Nitrolon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), especially after owning many aluminum SF's but these "plastic" Surefire lights are fabulous! Drop them and no dents. Get corrosive liquids on them, rinse them off in fresh water and no problem! I swear, these things are more durable than HA III Surefires!

To get back to the subject, yes, the KL3 fits all manner of G2's. I have a black G2 with a black KL3 and it really is a winner! I love the light weight of the G2 and also the relative light weight of the KL3. It's not as bright as with the stock P60 LA but brightness will last a long time with the KL3. The one drawback is that KL3's like ALL Surefire LED heads are a crapshoot at best. I have had 3 of them and the best one by far was a very early one that I scored on the BS&T forum. The other two were much later manufactured ones and were very, very purple, (they ALL have a little), and had ugly irregular beams so be aware!

Geheim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the info. I figured it would work. Just wanted to make sure before I blow anything up. LOL

Thanks to Al for photos he sent me via email. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chad

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Whoa.....

Wait a minute.....

Two out of three of my G2's refuse to work with my KL3.

On both of these, either with the G2's standard tailcap or with the Z48 clickie that I've had on my KL3/C2 combo, the G2 won't work.....

On the other, the KL3 works just fine.

I have no idea why this is at all.....Everything was screwed-down tight. Batteries checked and re-checked. And yes, my KL3 is working fine.

My only suspicion is that this may have something to do with inconsistencies seen in grafting on various aftermarket "SureFire-compatible" accessories to the SureFire G2 Nitrolon lights.

In my other hobby, airsoft, the G2 is a very popular choice in building "weaponlight" modifications to our replica pistols and rifles. One item that's been a favorite add-on to the SureFire lights is the G&P tailcap, which includes a 6" remote pressure tape switch.

It's been found recently by many airsoft hobbyists that while on most G2s this $20 tailcap replacement will work perfectly -- thus "emulating"/simulating the SureFire MU series weaponlights for a fraction of the cost -- on off cases, it will not work.

15s and other SureFire gurus -- any speculations?

Is the threading on the plastic G2s to blame? Are they cut/molded with more chances for variability?

I don't want to sound alarmist here, but honestly, two out of three of my G2s refuse to work with my KL3.....

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Size15's

Flashaholic
Perhaps it is the outer spring contact not making contact with the pressed metal tube inside the Nitrolon Body. I have 6 or 7 Nitrolon G2/G2Z and both my KL3 work with all of them.

Al