electrician wanted!!!

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
With all this talk about turning a 2d mag body into holding 6 or 8 AA's, I was wondering if this could be done with rechargeables? If you could connect them in series you would get 9.6 volts right? I'm thinking about drilling holes in the tailcap for electrodes. Does anyone know if a charger is made to charge something like this? If not could someone make it? I don't want to spend a whole lot of money as this is just an idea for now, but wanted to know if it could be done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure. The Maha 777 is made for just this but is pricey.

OTOH, it's easy to cobble up a fixed current chager, but this means slow charging (like 10 hours). If you decide to give it a go, let me know by PM, I'll see what we can sort out.

Doug Owen

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i put 6 aa nimh and 5w ls into a 2d [email protected] 2 holes in the tailcap.
1 for a 5mm led as an indicater and a 7/16 hole for a size n jack i got at rs.
its a dunb resister charger for charging in the car from 12v.

Hemingray

Enlightened
Rat Shack has a cheap NiCD and NiMH charger for their R/C model cars, it is selectable for either 7.2V or 9.6V R/C packs.
Their 7.2 V packs have 6 C cells, the 9.6V packs have 8 AA
cells. The charger is basically a "smart" wall wart and the cable is terminated with one of the white nylon Molex type connectors that fits either pack. BTW, it works fine for charging the 7.4 VDC LiIon packs from Balsa Products that is mentioned in an early posting. THose packs contain the proper protective circuitry as well as the 2 18650 size cells.

It is current-limited and has a built in timer that shuts it off after 5 hours, to protect from overdosing the battery packs.

One of these should be fine for charging up a 6 or 8 AA cell
modified light.

/ed B in NH