Identifying SST-50 EDC Al

seahunt

Enlightened
Hello Mac EDC lovers!
Just bought an Al three mode off MP this past week and would
like some help on identifying exactly what it is. Previous owner
could only tell me 'maybe second or third run'.
No outside markings, Ti clip, engine reads nanjg with 4 gold stars
at 6 o'clock; 4 & 5 o'clock read R2/R1; ROHS at 12 o'clock.
Can anyone shed some light here?
Thanks & regards, Chuck

fortean101

Newly Enlightened
Hello Mac EDC lovers!
Just bought an Al three mode off MP this past week and would
like some help on identifying exactly what it is. Previous owner
could only tell me 'maybe second or third run'.
No outside markings, Ti clip, engine reads nanjg with 4 gold stars
at 6 o'clock; 4 & 5 o'clock read R2/R1; ROHS at 12 o'clock.
Can anyone shed some light here?
Thanks & regards, Chuck

I have just looked at mine and it is similar the diodes are R1 and R2 the R1 is closest to the positive spring and the R2 is closest to the edge of the driver board, my driver is a 2.8 amp one and requires IMR cells to work so be careful! Normal RCR123 maybe dangerous to use. Hopefully someone can verify this, be careful

Last edited:

Dog Chaser

Enlightened
On the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay
You are describing a 2800ma board. The 1400ma board doesn't have the gold stars or chips. My Mac's have either a 4 or a 6 marked on the side of the light engine with a Sharpie, indicating 4500k or 6500k. You will have to unscrew the LE to see it.

seahunt

Enlightened
Thanks DogChaser & fortean101!
So I have a Al, 3-mode, 2800, cool white SST-50 EDC.
I noted on AW's batt thread where he says his regular RCR123s
can handle more than the draw of this light?
Puffery? or should run on IMR123 only?:sick2:
Regards, Chuck

fortean101

Newly Enlightened
The maker stated imr cells for this driver with intermittent use, I would not suggest going against that advice I am not going to try it out!

flashfiend

Enlightened
The protected RCR123's are only capable of 1.5 amps while the IMRs are capable of 4.4 amps. You have a 2.8 amp EDC so I believe your best choice is the IMR.

paintballdad

Enlightened
You are describing a 2800ma board. The 1400ma board doesn't have the gold stars or chips. My Mac's have either a 4 or a 6 marked on the side of the light engine with a Sharpie, indicating 4500k or 6500k. You will have to unscrew the LE to see it.

Hmm, i have a 1400mA 4500K SST-50 from the 3rd run and my board has the 4 gold stars and 4 chips on the board.

Dog Chaser

Enlightened
On the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay
Hmm, i have a 1400mA 4500K SST-50 from the 3rd run and my board has the 4 gold stars and 4 chips on the board.

I must be mistaken then. My 1400ma light has a smooth board with NANJG and ROHS-101-AK printed on it. I don't recall which run it was from, but I would guess it was the third or fourth. Maybe Mac changed boards at some point.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the 2.8a boards had contact springs on the boards. During the first couple of runs the same board was used but on the backside 4 of the 7135 regulators where removed to provide a max of 1.4a. So there is no real way to tell. On the later runs the boards with no spring are 1.4a boards.

Mac