• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Matterhorn

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
Howdy!

Just got a Matterhorn HAIII single led pocketbody UP from the MP. :party:

This is a cool little light, much whiter beam than the Fenix E01, which surprised me. I didn't think the 5mm Nichias could get much whiter than angry blue. :devil:

Certainly a small, easily pocketable light. I do have a couple of questions though. I noticed that the o-ring is just barely covered when the light is off. Is this normal and will it hurt anything? I wouldn't say its exposed, but it is visible through the crack between the head and body.

Also, it seems as though there are only 2-3 threads engaging when a battery is in the light. Is this normal, and will it hurt anything? I'm mostly concerned about the head coming off in my pocket.

I'm sure there is nothing to worry about, but as a budding flashaholic I had to ask my OCD questions. :whistle:

Any idea of runtimes on these with an Energizer Lithium primary?

Thanks in advance!

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Peak had an excellent run of Snow-29 LED's- they were as white as any emitters I have ever seen. Sadly they are no longer building those heads.
If your Mattehorn had the detatchable keychain lug as opposed tho the pocket body you mentioned you should find an adjustable screw (the negative contact) to adjust contract travel up or down to suit your liking- another benefit of that is you can remove it for cleaning. FYI- the sticky at the top is a great resource- the first post has extremely helpful cutaway diagrams.

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
Peak had an excellent run of Snow-29 LED's- they were as white as any emitters I have ever seen. Sadly they are no longer building those heads.
If your Mattehorn had the detatchable keychain lug as opposed tho the pocket body you mentioned you should find an adjustable screw (the negative contact) to adjust contract travel up or down to suit your liking- another benefit of that is you can remove it for cleaning. FYI- the sticky at the top is a great resource- the first post has extremely helpful cutaway diagrams.

Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

I was thinking a keychain body would be cool to have the momentary switch as well. Would the switch allow the head to seat lower? I may need to post a WTB on MP for a keychain body. Do you know if the momentary is water resistant? I've read some posts that say it is and some say it isn't :thinking:

I've looked at the sticky and the diagrams, they just don't zoom in very well.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

I was thinking a keychain body would be cool to have the momentary switch as well. Would the switch allow the head to seat lower? I may need to post a WTB on MP for a keychain body. Do you know if the momentary is water resistant? I've read some posts that say it is and some say it isn't :thinking:

I've looked at the sticky and the diagrams, they just don't zoom in very well.

I am fairly sure the momentary is NOT water proof- but since the electronics in the head are fully potted- a drop in a puddle or rain shouldn't hurt anything- momentary is spring loaded plunger type with small negative contact.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for what Rage Cage said. Peak's momentary switch is installed in either of two different ways depending upon the body. In some of the larger lights, like the 2XAA Caribbean, the momentary screws into an adapter which in turn screws into the body. For the smaller lights, like the Matty or Eiger, the momentary screws in directly without the need for any adapter. O-rings are used in both systems, and although they are NOT waterproof, they are water-resistant. I've never had any water entry into any of my Peaks, either with or without the momentary (even after a thorough wash and rinse so my wife won't smell Brasso in her purse).