Which light?

veedub565

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've been googling and browsing the forums awhile, and I'm a bit dazzled (no pun intended) by all the options there are out there for lighting up an underground scene.

I have a Nikon D5000 and a 4D Maglight (circa 1990), I've been experimenting taking pictures in the dark (F8, 20sec exposure, iso200) and using the torch to light the scene and, well, not great but the pics have being coming out.

That may be ok in the back yard but I am visiting a large underground facility with 4 or 5 miles of tunnels and no lighting. I dont know where the 4D Maglight comes in the great scheme of things but I suspect it's not quite enough.

Couple of questions if I may.

A lot of the flashlights I've seen are AA batteries, surely D batteries would be better?

I was tempted by the 25million candlepower type spotlight, overkill in close quarters? I've heard they're old hat now? surely they would have more power than an aa cell flashlight? worth persuing or not?

Is it worth looking into Flourescent lights? I imagine pretty awful tho for photography.

Finally, without spending a fortune, what would be a good choice for my first time photographing underground? I've been having a look at LED Lenser P7, Fenix FD20, and Sunforce HID Spotlights

Ideally wouldent I want a powerful flood with long reach?

so confused :(

EV_007

Enlightened
If you are allowed to use a tripod then light choice isn't as critical as if you are handholding the shots since you can use a longer exposure to paint the scene in.

Perhaps a warm HID with a diffuser may be the right tool for lighting up large interiors such as caves. A quad die setup for even illumination such as the TK 40 would do nicely at a fraction of the cost of an HID light.

Sounds fun to be in the flashoholics playground.