Koehler SR2000 or SR2010 any good?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at either of these two models to replace the one I currently have because of their long run times. Anybody have any insights they would care to share?

SR2000

SR2010

thanks,
mike

phyhsuts

Enlightened
I have the SR2000. The way the lamp is mounted to the reflector is not my idea of good design. The reflector is some sort of polymer, hopefully PPS which has a operating temperature of 500 degrees F. It is a large reflector so the spot is very tight IF YOU GET THE FILAMENT IN THE RIGHT POSITION. This is a little tricky as the socket of the bulb is NOT very positively fixed to the reflector. Also the only way to focus is to shift the bulb in its socket. To get some sort of water ingress protection the reflector is sealed to the front window and the ring that fixes the reflector/window (polymer - polycarbnate?) to the body. It was hardwork getting the filament in position. The result was good though. I am making some modifications to this: a positive way of fixing the lamp aocket to the reflector, glass window, 30W projector lamp (Osram 64265 HLX). If you can get it, Nightsearcher in the UK has a very similar lantern using a metallic reflector and a 50W bulb in place of the 20W in the SR2000. I have no idea if the lamp socket mounting is any better though as I do NOT have the lantern. The price do not look to be all that different either.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the SR2000, too. Overall, I like the light, and haven't had any problems with it, but then it has not seen really rough outdoor use. I also purchased the attachment that provides a nice flood beam, which is the way I almost always use the light.

My one "complaint" about this unit is the charging mechanism. It is HUGE, and not the easiest to use. I don't understand why Koehler couldn't just use a simple plug-in charger, rather than a gigantic charging "cradle."
Just my opinion...

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
phyhsuts and flashfan,

Thank you for your comments...all excellent points. I'm looking to replace my 20 minute run time spot I now have. I have 6 1/2 acres and 20 minutes is too limiting. The Koehlers were the ones I found first that had the brightness and throw....and long run time.
How about the Streamlight "LiteBox", have any experience with those? Possibly other model/brand suggestions?

Streamlight LiteBox

Thanks,
mike

phyhsuts

Enlightened
I do not have the Litebox. It seems too expensive. Now before I am burried under a slew of mail, let me explain. I like the Litebox's beam very much. It is just that its lamp assembly fits anything that uses a PAR36 lamp bulb. Now, there are lots of such beast out there going for much less than the Litebox. So if you do not need the long runtime provided by the Litebox's 6V 10Ah SLA, you can buy the lamp assembly from Streamlight and fit that to the host light in place of the PAR36 lamp. I use a Sears Craftsman Ultra Beam. The battery is a 6V 4Ah SLA so run time is not great (40 minutes or so) but it does have its own charging circuit built in and an LED to warn you of the need to recharge the battery. 5-6 D size NiMH cells will fit in the place occupied by the SLA, so if long run times are needed one can always put in these. With 5 cells run time should be in the 2+ hours region with 9Ah NiMH cells. I am still using the SLA as I do not require the extended rum time. The Beam CP is a little lower than that from the SR2000 but it is close. I use this much more than the SR2000! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Mike,

I have used the Litebox on several construction jobs and it is very well built. It is possible to break them, but you have to work at it.

The 20W spot is what I am familiar with. It will only run for about 3 hours and it takes a little more than 12 hours to fully charge back up.

The cost is up there, but BrightGuy seems to have a good discount. My son is a fire fighter and their department uses these lights. No complaints so far.

Tom

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
phyhsuts and SilverFox,

Thanks for the input....excellent information. Run time is fairly important to me. I mean, if I have to charge a light for 12-16 hours (which I don't mind)...I want to be able to use it for longer than 20 minutes. My current spot light takes 14-16 hours to charge it and runs for 20 minutes. Also, your warned not to deep cycle the battery and you can't run it while it's plugged into the wall. However, it's bright and will light up your world a long, long distance away, easily 300-400 feet (that's about how far it is from my front porch to where my driveway takes a right). Though I would be happy with lighting things up brightly in the immediate area say out to 200 feet away.

SilverFox (Tom)....if it's good enough for the Fire Deptartment it's good enough for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again!
mike