Streamlight Stinger XT HP and UltraStinger

W

Warthog

NEW to this forum and kinda knew to flashlights in general (long time researcher, don't have many)...I've had my share of 2D and 4D mags, Photons and my latest is my Inova X5. I've checked out Surefires indepth and almost purchased one...I can't justify going through batteries and bulbs like no tomorrow as an EDC light:-/...wouuld be good for searching houses and such, though.

I did a search but failed to find what I was looking for (although I'm sure it's there somewhere).

1sks.com says that the UltraStinger is 75,000 candlepower and the other two are 40,000 candlepower - is this correct so far? The Ultra is only a little bit more $$$...wouldn't this make it the obvious choice??? Am I missing something?

I know candlepower and lumens are two different kinds of light measurement units but I'm used to seeing things in lumens (it's like going from standard to metric)...I can compare it to things like a 15 lumen 2D maglite, 35 lumen 4D mag, 65 lumen Surefires, etc. Can anyone wager a guess or find the specs for the output of said lights in lumens?

If you have any other lights to recommend, I'm all ears-

I'm in the $100 range for a rechargable light (or have inexpensive standard batteries such as C or D cell, OR have lithium batteries with good, long lasting output) and has to be around the same size as a 2D Maglite. I'm an MP at Fort Myer, VA so the light would obviously be for police use - that's why I think a rechargable would be the best because I'll go through batteries like crazy on a few weeks of mid shifts.

Also looking at the Streamlight Twin-Task 2D LED and Xenon Flashlight. I think I want more of a power upgrade than what that gives me. Would that have the range of my old 4D Maglite? That had incredible range - loved it.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the ElektroLumens lights? A Blaster II or an Blaster VI might be good. I have an older Blaster II with a low dome Luxeon Star LED. It blows away my M*g 3D cell light that I am using 4C cells in. The M*g puts out a very narrow spot, and the Blaster II puts out an intense, very large hotspot that will throw a wall of light easily up to 150 feet. The newer Blaster II with the high dome luxeon star should throw even farther. I have heard that you can use NiMH rechargeables in these lights.

bmaresh

Newly Enlightened
The stinger's are great lights. They are very popular with police officers.

when choosing between the two(stinger and untrastinger) keep in mind that the ultrastinger is almost 5 inches longer, heavier, and cannot be purchased with a tailcap switch. however the extra brightness may be worth it for your use.

My favorite is the Stinger HP XT, my dad has one.(I don't have one yet, but will be ordering soon). I like the small size(I'll have to wear it on my belt 8-16 hours a day) I also like the rubberized grip(dropping my light and having it fall into the wrong hands could cost me my life) The dept. I plan to work for also doesn't allow lights over 11 inches in length.

as far as the lumens v. candlepower I'm also clueless. I do know that lumens measures the overall light output of the light, and that candlepower measures the hot center of the focused beam.

I can tell you having used both mags and the stinger that even the little stinger will put a D cell mag to shame.

Brandon

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. I don't like the HP's, not enough flood light, but it has a good long range. I did put a 6V stick into mine and used it last week on-duty (XT-HP) and it worked great.

2. The Ultra is an excellent light, it is a bit longer than some like, but ocerall a good light.

--dan

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
As all too often, some are recommending Mods for Police work. The Streamlight line is almost universally accepted for durabliity, cost, function, and brightness. It has a WARRANTY that is flawless.

Pick a rechargeable from the line that suits your size/length requirements, and go for it.

I have an Ultrastinger, it's fine, maybe a bit long for day to day cop stuff. It sure as heck is BRIGHT.....I carry it when I have security problems on the "farm" for it's brightness, and also because it makes a hellava impact weapon.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What will your chain of command let you carry? I know that at times your uniform requirements can get a bit anal. Take a look at the FBOP (or 8 inch) Tigerlight. It is small, very bright, and should have more than enough reach for most anywhere on Myer. You could also look at the SureFire 8NX (plastic body, rechargeable). It might not be bright enough for you though, but good for closer range, or searching cars. You might be able to find one or more of these at Potomac Arms Corps/Full Metal Jacket (0 Prince St. in Alexandria).
Seriously though, think about the Tigerlight. It's a nice light. You probably couldn't get away with the 11 inch, since it has the OC adapter in it.

arioch

Enlightened
I have a Stinger XTHP; not terribly impressed for the extra cash, and the larger head is not too handy for belt carry. Tight focus is okay, but not spectacular, IMHO. If you want something like that, I would recommend the regular Stinger series, as I did not find them that much different than the HP series.

Also have the Ultra; much better light for not much more money, as you said. Much brighter beam; good sized hotspot. Disadvantage (or advantage, depending on your purpose) is the length and the slightly awkward balance with the larger head.

Since you seem to like Mags, might I suggest the MagCharger? It is about the size of the 3D Mag (a little larger than your 2D Mag requirement). Brightness with the new 40 Kcp bulb is comparable with the Ultra. I do find it kind of heavy for constant carry, though.

The Blaster III is also about the size of the 3D Mag. Brightness is okay, but not as "sharp" as a higher power incandescent.

The Surefire 8NX is pretty good, pretty bright, good hotspot, and rechargeable. I personally prefer my original 8X to either the 8NX or the 8AX.

I don't have a Tigerlight, but specs seem to fulfill all of your listed requirements (about 2D Mag size, rechargeable, very bright) except for price.

Good luck, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RY3

Enlightened
I like my Ultrastringer. If you want a smaller size, you can take a look at the Pila's lights . They take both CR123 and Li-Ion Rechargeable.

There is a review here from Madecov, another LEO.