Losing War against spraying feline: Need Help!

guncollector

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
Okay, folks. I need help and ideas from the collective CPF wisdom pool again.

I am losing a war against a neighborhood feline--possibly a pet, possibly a feral cat--who is regularly spraying and urinating in and around my garage.

No dog in our home, and its not an option. I've got my pellet pistol at the ready to project a little "deterrance"--but spotting the rascal is infrequent. I'm hoping for more and better (and consistent) deterrance ideas!

Any/all ideas eagerly accepted! TIA!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
omg dont shoot it i hate cats but plase dont shoot it.most humaine socitys will give ya a trapfor free to get him.use it and then let him go in the woos far way from ya. dont shoot him he is just being a cat.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might try spreading some mothballs around the garage. They generally don't like citrus, so sprays might work. I think the best bet would be to follow raggies lead. Removing the animal will certainly work best.

Empath

Flashaholic
I agree with Raggie. The humane society will likely let you use a trap. I don't know California's laws, but in Oregon using a pellet gun on a cat can be a felony.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
around here when cats start spraying we call them vermin and dispose of them.we had a big problem with ferals here to the point that nearly everyone in my neighborhood has an air rifle or .22 just for vermin control
2 warning sting shots with the air rifle.
3 rd time its 10 pumps.
animal shelter/humane soc./animal control wont bother with cats here.
something that repels them and is toxic to them is liquid lysol.
but is smells just as bad as cat spray so dr. crossman comes into play.

Greta

Flashaholic
If you get a trap and trap it, don't take it out in the woods and let it loose. That's just cruel as well. Take it to the pound. Especially if you don't know if it's a pet or if it's wild. And yes, mothballs are good. The crystals are better as they can be more widely scattered and will blend in instead of just having little white balls all over the place.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
eek sasha i was a volenter at the pound i saw em put like 5 cats in a cage and then put the cage in gas chamber thats how they put em to sleep, i quit helping there.they did same with dogs

Greta

Flashaholic
Not all pounds are like that raggie. Regardless though, I do believe even something like that is more humane than letting the thing go 50 miles from home in the woods.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
sasha you may be right..well ilet the cats strays live around me.laughing out loud and i hate cats

Empath

Flashaholic
Nascar, poisoning animals like cats and dogs will definitely land you in prison in Oregon. I suspect it probably would in New Jersey too.

We've got a poisoner operating in Portland right now. He is not only attracting the media's attention, there is a considerable effort by law enforcement to catch him. It's that serious a crime.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poisoning is a horrible way to to kill something. Also, unless it is very carefully presented you may end up killing other animals or someone's pet. If you're going to kill an animal, at least do it humanely and quickly. Just my opinion of course.

Peter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Calm down everyone. I'm responding to a problem that someone presented. They wanted a way to stop a cat from pissing all over his property. I presented an option. I didn't say it was right or wrong. It's an option. He can take it for what it's worth.

Greta

Flashaholic
It's not really an option when you're talking about killing an innocent animal in a very horrific way. I had a cat that was poisoned by Anti-freeze. He lived through it but it wasn't pretty and he never was "right" after that. The thing is about Anti-freeze is that it actually attracts the animals! They love the smell and they love the taste. MY cat wasn't the one digging up the neighbors garden but my cat is the one who almost died.

I gotta ask, I guess, how sick is it to actually attract an animal to you in order to give it a slow torturing death? Sorry... I get a little touchy about this subject.

Empath

Flashaholic
Growing up in Oklahoma in a family with eight kids, we always had dogs and cats. We lost a couple of dogs and a couple of cats due to someone in the vicinity that poisoned them. We never found out who it was, which was fortunate for them. A family of eight kids can be a awesome enemy.

I suppose one thing about growing old, is the lowlifes from your youth that are deserving of death are gone. Even now, I think I'd probably take the 2000 mile trip to his burial site to **** on his grave.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
It's not really an option when you're talking about killing an innocent animal in a very horrific way. I had a cat that was poisoned by Anti-freeze. He lived through it but it wasn't pretty and he never was "right" after that. The thing is about Anti-freeze is that it actually attracts the animals! They love the smell and they love the taste. MY cat wasn't the one digging up the neighbors garden but my cat is the one who almost died.

I gotta ask, I guess, how sick is it to actually attract an animal to you in order to give it a slow torturing death? Sorry... I get a little touchy about this subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a lengthly response composed, but inadvertly hit the escape key and lost it all. I'm not going to retype it all over again. Yes, I know the anti-freeze attracks cats and Yes, I know it a slow process once ingested. It's also usually a messy process as well. I'd asked how your cat was poisoned this way, however my fear is that you'll tell me that it was wondering the streets and happen to come across it somewhere. I hope that wasn't the case.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm for trapping but back to the pellet gun....
You can get felt cleaning pellets that will give the cat no more than a mild sting.

Greta

Flashaholic
As a matter of fact no, my cat was not an outside cat. That's how I (and my neighbor) knew that it wasn't my cat digging up the garden. My cat was just a kitten actually... only about 4 months old. My daughter would take the kitten out into the fenced in backyard to play and then bring him back in. The kitten knew it's boundaries. One evening, I had the back door open so that the dogs could go in and out for a little bit. The kitten went out too. I didn't worry about it. My neighbor's garden was just on the other side of the fence and so was the antifreeze. As we've already agreed, it attracts the animals and my kitten couldn't resist. He hopped the fence for the first time in his life because he was enticed to by the antifreeze. I never even knew that my neighbor had put it out.

By the by... poisoning animals is illegal almost everywhere as far as I know. Regardless... promoting illegal activities is something we would really rather not have going on here on CPF. It opens us up to all kinds of wonderful liabilities... so let's just try not to go there anymore.

Thanks all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif