LEDs for my Deere?

egghead2004

Newly Enlightened
I would like to replace the headlights on my Deere with LEDs. Also add some rear and side lights for when I plow the driveway so I can see better as well as the cars can better see me when I am at the end of my driveway.

The ignition system is 12VDC, but when running it puts out more like 13-13.5 VDC. What type of drivers would be good for cleaning up such a dirty power source?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recovered the following data from Google's cache manually.
Please post any errors and corrections in a new post below.
-
The format is:
Date, time, old postcount#, poster;
post data
-
I will try to fix the CPF links in the next 2 weeks or until I give up in frustration. Can not do that and verify with CPF down.

-----

11-05-2010 06:27 AM #2 purduephotog

egghead2004 said:
I would like to replace the headlights on my Deere with LEDs. Also add some rear and side lights for when I plow the driveway so I can see better as well as the cars can better see me when I am at the end of my driveway.

The ignition system is 12VDC, but when running it puts out more like 13-13.5 VDC. What type of drivers would be good for cleaning up such a dirty power source?
You need a good boost driver and then need LEDs that run at higher voltages than 15V.

I have the boostpuck by LuxDrive http://www.ledsupply.com/boostpuck.php running for a 350ma application. It runs cool, it can be dimmed, it's potted (you'd still need to seal your wires, but that is fairly easy to do) and it is (relatively) cheap.

It can run up to 48v of LEDs, so if you were to pick up (say) some of the bridgelux units that run at 350ma you could meet your requirements.

There are also 'buckpucks' (See the website) that can run at higher current loads but lower voltages- so you'd need approximately 9 or 10V LEDs max in order to take advantage of the higher currents.

Good luck.

-----

11-05-2010 07:08 AM #3 Steve K

egghead2004 said:
I'm not sure I'd expect a driver to clean up the noisy power source. My day job involves the design of electronics for large vehicles using 12v or 24v batteries, and the spikes and noise that comes off of the battery bus are remarkable!

You might want to "pre-condition" the power before it gets to the driver. A series diode to block negative spikes (and protect it in the event of reversed battery connection), followed by a large (3W?) zener or transorb to catch any large voltage spikes. I'd go with something rated 18v or so, since battery voltage shouldn't get that high, but it would still be within the rating of the driver (hopefully).

I'd throw on some capacitance too, for good measure. Maybe something as simple as 0.1uF, 50v. This will help block any fast transient pulses from getting in, and generally clean up the power a bit.

You might even ask Deere if they sell any LED floodlights. These are pretty pricey still, but are being offered by more vehicle manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers.

regards,
Steve K.

-----

11-05-2010 07:26 AM #4 DanManTX

If the Deere bulbs are the same as automotive, check out V-LEDS dot com ( http://www.v-leds.com/ )

I upgraded some of my Honda Accord bulbs with V-LEDS and they are bright! (interior dome light, vanity mirror lights, door lights, map lights, license plate light, trunk light)

If you're upgrading the turn signal/blinker bulbs you may have to add a load resistor to decrease the rapid flashing; reference http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/c132273/

I'm on their email list; For the month of November Use Coupon Code DRIVEN at checkout to receive an additional 15% off.