Li-Ion Charger IC for $1.66

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klaus's thread (see http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB6&Number=330011&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) inspired me to post a separate thread to talk about the 4054 since it's now available.

New product from Linear Tech. Very simple to use, add a cap, pick a resistor and you've got a single cell CC-CV charger.

http://www.linear.com/prod/datasheet.html?datasheet=961

Haven't tried it out though for $1.66 it's very tempting. Already have a Pila charger but I need another charger setup for two additional cells.

CM

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good find Chris - this looks easy - so maybe even me could built one - can you get samples ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 1.66 it may be worth just purchasing outright though their shippint is $7.00. I may have to "find" a few more things to buy from Linear.

CM

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

earlier today I look up the LTC4053-4.2 which seems tobe similar but has some USB stuff added - not sure though - could you have a look at it ?

LTC4053

TIA

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

to not further hijack your thread I posted another EEtimes article on various ICs including the Linears in a separate thread.

The LTC4058-4.2 looks nice too - but I really have no clue which one would meet a flashaholics need best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked at those as well. I like the 4054 because it's simpler to use and probably easier to work with since it's a SOT-23 package. The 4058 is a DFN package, and the 4053 is an MSOP. They're harder to construct unless you cut a PCB for it. A SOT-23 can be dead-bugged so even the most minimally equipped person can make a home-brew charger. For those wanting a charger w/o bells and whistles, it's basically a 3-terminal device. Input, output, current set ports. I'd probably use the charge indicator pin to drive a LED to tell me the status of the charging process.

CM

kingkong

Newly Enlightened
CM,

Do you want to organize a group buy or I can do it.
lmk,

Cuong.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klaus, I started this thread to avoid hijacking yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I read through yours and that's what inspired me to post this, so a thanks go to you. I like that EE times article, BTW (I subsribe to the magazine)

kk, LED_mods_as_small_as_possible,

Are you guys conspiring something here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you think you guys can arm-twist me into a group buy, well, my arms are starting to hurt and I may just say "UNCLE". I've even been thinking of wiring up two of these on a board and selling it as an assembly. My time is very limited and I need to make sure it doesn't intrude into my family time with all the projects I'm doing now. But I really want to push the use of Li-Ion's for those that have to knowledge to treat them properly. A cheap charger may facilitate that.

CM

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mini Group buy on these sounds just perfect to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On the chips - the 4054 looks easiest to me and how could I argue with Chris anyway - but Chris - could you please explain how you would put things together - using breadboard - doing a small PCB ? Running it off an USB port or from a wall-plug ? Myonly fear using the 4054 would be the SOT23 I think is quite small and I usually gunk such small leads up with solder anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But we´ll see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Another idea I had the other day is to mod my Li-Ion charger which came with my Canon Digital Elph / Ixus camera - only problem is the "T" pins on the batteries and charger and it won´t charge without that one connected. I´m trying to figure out how I can trick the charger into charging without that "T" pin as well .... okidoki - just put 10K Ohm between the "-" and "T" pins.

Klaus

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me rig up a sot-23 (not the real thing of course) with the components tonight to show how easy it is. I'll try to post photos this evening, time permitting. I gotta get back to work. C-ya.

CM

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on 25 USD international shipping charge from Linear I guess one of the US guys needs to volunteer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Klaus

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a local sales rep and they are only 10-15 minute drive from my house. I can get samples if folks are interested and I'd keep a few since I too am interested.

This sounds rather easy and I think I can squeeze some time to play with it.

You might want to PM me since I probably won't find this thread again.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne,

just make sure you sent some to Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for your assistance

Klaus

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klaus,

You want me to hold off on your package? I think I can fit a few SOIC's and chip resistors and caps in there no problem. That way you have all the parts, it will just be like a LEGGO set you slap together.

CM

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes please - thank you - not in a hurry on the other parts

Klaus