Flashlight suggention

charliek

Enlightened
OK- here is a question for the Light Gurus out here:

I'd like to get a light that:

Is relatively compact- AA, AAA or 123Lithium
Has an adjustable focus (or an excellent balance between throw and splash)
(I'd like to be able to see the trail in front of me mostly- no long distance)
Is weather-proof (don't need to scuba dive with it)
Good runtime, with a good, bright beam.

Reasonable inexpensive ($40 tops)

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ARC LS comes fairly close. Its not adjustable, but ive found the Low Dome varient to give a beam that is a nice comprimise between flood and throw. An ARC LS second is just aa bit more than the $40 mark, but well worth the extra IMO.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scorpion

Is there ANY flashlight out there that actually focuses well? Without rings, dark spots etc etc?

GregR

OK, pahl I should have said ADJUSTABLE focus.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
charliek said:
OK- here is a question for the Light Gurus out here:

I'd like to get a light that:

Is relatively compact- AA, AAA or 123Lithium
Has an adjustable focus (or an excellent balance between throw and splash)
(I'd like to be able to see the trail in front of me mostly- no long distance)
Is weather-proof (don't need to scuba dive with it)
Good runtime, with a good, bright beam.

Reasonable inexpensive ($40 tops)

[/ QUOTE ]If you're more interested in lighting the trail in front of you and not long throw, you might want to check out an Inova X5T. They are built like a tank, waterproof, small and light, have a run time of around 20 hours, and put out a good bit of light. Oh, and they can be had for right around $35 if you shop.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
The ARC LS comes fairly close. Its not adjustable, but ive found the Low Dome varient to give a beam that is a nice comprimise between flood and throw. An ARC LS second is just aa bit more than the $40 mark, but well worth the extra IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

So where do I find these "Seconds" for sale?

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Scorpion

Is there ANY flashlight out there that actually focuses well? Without rings, dark spots etc etc?

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would think that the streamlight twintask lights would serve well. 3 LED's should provide plenty of light for walking, and the incan would reach out nicely. it is about $30 for the TT2L(?).

though none are focusable, of the lights i own, i could suggest several: madmax or badboy, SL7LED, TEC 40.

the tec40 or rage with attitude are a nice combo.

luxeons and LED's in general really are nice for night time trail walks.

Bob

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
i would think that the streamlight twintask lights would serve well. 3 LED's should provide plenty of light for walking, and the incan would reach out nicely. it is about $30 for the TT2L(?).
Bob

[/ QUOTE ]
Another great suggestion. I just ordered one of those for myself from Brightguy. I think I'll be very happy with it.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight 2L is nice and bright with 2 1/2 hour runtime very waterproof (as I dive with mine) and only cost $20. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
The only light I can think of that satisfies all of your specs is a Scorpion. In the under $40 LED category, I doubt that you'll come up with focusability, or even an "excellent balance between throw and splash".

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I can't say how waterproof my TT2L is. I figure it to be more water resistent than waterproof. But I like it a lot! And I think it would serve you well. And I THINK I've already told you (or someone!) how good it is!

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a SL 7Led 4AA? Or maybe just a drop in module for a Mini M*g, like a badboy/madmax or even cheaper still an Opalec?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican M6 cannot be overlooked, outthrew Surefire 9P and at less than $40 is focusable and a great value. Not as compact as an ARC LS, but way brighter and cheaper as well.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
except for the focusing, the arc ls sounds like the perfect light for this.

the pelican m6 sounds good also, but is more of a spot beam, and not as compact, and doesn't posses the quality of the arc.

FNG

Enlightened
Another vote for the SL Scorpion. Can you give specifics for the "good runtime"?

NewsFlash

Enlightened
I also vote for the Scorpion, but the new SL TL-2 Xenon may be better. A little more than $40.00 and has a recessed tailcap momentary switch with twist to lock "on". Have not seen in one person but I surmise is the "new and improved" Scorpion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FNG

Enlightened
Cant hold it in your teeth like the Scorpion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

llvo

Enlightened
I once hold the Surefire Ele in my teeth. Ouch!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif