Battery Chemistry and Safety Questions

snakyjake

Enlightened
Read most of the rechargeable RCR123A threads regarding safety, and still lacking safety confidence. My #1 priority is safety while charging and while using my lights. I want it to be as safe as my cell phone.

I need batteries for a 2 cell light (Fenix PD3 with 2 RCR123A), Malkoff MD2/M61 with 1 18650, and LiftFlux LF3XT 1 cell RCR123A. All lights are LED, not incandescent (I read that might make a difference).

I typically don't operate the light at maximum lumens, and when I do, not for very long.

Plan on using a high quality charger such as Pila IBC or hobby charger.

I typically drain my protected batteries until they automatically shut-off, rather than test the voltage or keep the batteries topped off.

I've read that some chemistries don't need the protection circuit, and if I can get a rechargeable that won't cut-off when voltage is low, but just goes dim like a NiMH, that would be ideal. Rather be left with low light than no light.

From my reading I believe I have narrowed down the choices to:

1. LiCo protected (AW black cells).

2. LiFePO4

3. LiMn.

It becomes confusing because some chemistries are said to be better for high discharge (I assume these high power LED's are high discharge), and some are made for lower discharge (laptops and cell phones). Safety seems to be in categories of charging, discharging, temperature, abuse, unbalance multiple batteries in series. Some of the horror stories might be from old technology.

Which chemistry would offer the most for the lights I listed?

What applications would the other technologies be used?

Thanks,

Jake

Latest posts