4Sevens Mini 123 UI question?

Z

z_archimedes

This is my first post, though I've been reading reviews here for quite a while (very informative, thanks!).

I just received the 4Sevens Mini 123 Warm White light, and overall Im really pleased with it. I was looking for a super-small and simple single-cell CR123 light. The warm white LED color balance is especially nice. However, I did have a question about the UI though. Is there any way to set it to default to high mode first, or lock it to high-mode only? Id prefer not to have to cycle three modes each time I turn it on, as I need high probably 90% of the time.

If not, any other suggestions for a similar light with a better UI for this purpose? What about the Lummi lights? Thanks for any suggestions.

archimedes

Flashaholic
This is my first post, though I've been reading reviews here for quite a while (very informative, thanks!).

I just received the 4Sevens Mini 123 Warm White light, and overall Im really pleased with it. I was looking for a super-small and simple single-cell CR123 light. The warm white LED color balance is especially nice. However, I did have a question about the UI though. Is there any way to set it to default to high mode first, or lock it to high-mode only? Id prefer not to have to cycle three modes each time I turn it on, as I need high probably 90% of the time.

If not, any other suggestions for a similar light with a better UI for this purpose? What about the Lummi lights? Thanks for any suggestions.

Asked and answered before the crash. It will only function as noted. I have since found other single-mode alternatives (such as Peak lights).

Thanks.

cistallus

Enlightened
For reference, here's the rest of the original thread as recovered from cache

Re: 4Sevens Mini 123 UI question?
Written by Tiresius on 11-12-2010 03:27 PM GMT

archimedes said:

I just received the 4Sevens Mini 123 Warm White light, and overall I'm really pleased with it. I was looking for a super-small and simple single-cell CR123 light. The warm white LED color balance is especially nice. However, I did have a question about the UI though. Is there any way to set it to default to "high" mode first, or lock it to high-mode only? I'd prefer not to have to cycle three modes each time I turn it on, as I need high probably 90% of the time.

You're stuck with that UI. It's not that bad, perse. Nice for waking up in the middle of the night, bathroom walk without blinding your night vision. You're stuck with that UI. It's not that bad, perse. Nice for waking up in the middle of the night, bathroom walk without blinding your night vision.

I'm not too sure if the modes are programmable. You can have someone mod it for ya but I wouldn't do it. If all else fails, get the 123x2 tactical so you can program each to your taste.

Also, :welcome:

Written by Kilovolt on 11-12-2010 10:46 PM GMT

Hi Archimedes and :welcome:

I am sorry to have to confirm that the level sequence in your Quark can not be changed. :sigh:

One light not much larger than the Mini 123 but on which you can decide if you want to start on low or high is Nitecore EX11. Also Fenix PD20 allows you to do that. :)

Written by archimedes on 11-13-2010 03:24 PM GMT

Thanks for the suggestions.

That Nitecore looks nice. Also, what about an HDS/Ra EDC (I was thinking about maybe the High CRI model)? How do those two compare to the Mini, or the Lummi, in terms of size?

Written by archimedes on 11-29-2010 11:51 AM GMT

Also, does anyone happen to know if the ITP A1 Eos is available in a single (high-only) mode? That might be another option that would work for me. I am surprised that there does not seem to be more demand for a very small light with high-first or high-only interface....

Written by cistallus on 11-30-2010 02:07 AM GMT

archimedes said:
... I'd prefer not to have to cycle three modes each time I turn it on, as I need high probably 90% of the time. ...
I carry my Mini 123 on my keychain, with the head backed off about 1/8 turn. When I want light, I just hold the body with my hand and press on the side of the head to turn it on. This way I can get to high in about 1/2 second with three quick presses, and I have an easy way to get momentary light quickly at any level, which is all I usually need anyway. Something to consider. I carry my Mini 123 on my keychain, with the head backed off about 1/8 turn. When I want light, I just hold the body with my hand and press on the side of the head to turn it on. This way I can get to high in about 1/2 second with three quick presses, and I have an easy way to get momentary light quickly at any level, which is all I usually need anyway. Something to consider.

I don't think the A1 is available in single mode, but the A3 (AAA battery) is.

The HDS Clicky is larger than any of the above lights. But if you want a rock-solid light that can go immediately to high or do almost anything else you'd want, it's the one.

Oh, and welcome to CPF!

popedandy

Newly Enlightened
The iTP SA and SC lights will memorize the last level used and go directly to that level the next time they are turned on.

T45

Enlightened
An inexpensive alternative with nearly the same form factor and with just a single mode is the Romisen RC-C3, available here: Single Mode CR123. That model is a bit longer than the 4sevens mini, which is 2.3 inches in length, while the Romisen is listed as 2.91 inches in length.