G2 Saves Life (Surefire testimonial)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My first reaction to this was skepticism given CPF's many debates about lights as a "force option" and the idea that you need at least a P90 or P91 equivalent for that purpose. NTL, any unexpected very bright light at point blank range might have a dramatic effect especially if the subject viewed it as an attack and thought he had been lasered.

Brightnorm

G2 SAVES LIFE

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...immediately jumped down and flashed this guy right in the eyes and he was waving arms, crying and yelling that he was blind. I was able to tackle him down to the floor and get the "blade" away from him..."

How much you want to bet the guy was crying not because of the light, but because he just got pounded by a 200+ lb. bouncer. I think I'd be doing quite a bit of crying and arm waving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jason

Size15's

Flashaholic
I was taken down to the floor by a guy who used an E1 to take the advantage from a distance between us of about 5 metres. It was a crowded, well lit area and I remember a flash or flashes in my eyes and then I was flat on my back thinking "How the hell did he do that"

Until I experienced it, I didn't believe that light could be used to gain advantage over people.

Al

Red-T

Newly Enlightened
What I generally don't like about the stories I've read about using bright light as a force option "in the wild" is that I usually can't judge what the level of alcohol was in the guy who got blinded. As the stories I've read so far took place in bars/clubs etc., I find it likely that those people were alcoholized, which means that the pupils would react slowlier and blinding would be easier.

Now, what if that's not the case with the guy who's up against me? Oopsie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think bright light as part of a defense is fine (in a support role, so to speak), but not by itself. At least not for me.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I was taken down to the floor by a guy who used an E1 to take the advantage from a distance between us of about 5 metres. It was a crowded, well lit area and I remember a flash or flashes in my eyes and then I was flat on my back thinking "How the hell did he do that"

Until I experienced it, I didn't believe that light could be used to gain advantage over people.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

Sounds like the light was used by a knowledgeable person as a deliberate distraction which obviously worked. The fact that you knew it was an E1 suggests you knew or had subsequent contact with the person, perhaps as part of a training exercise. Care to elaborate?

BN

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Well, my question is...what's from keeping people from making up wild stories in order to win the SF "testimonial contest" and get 100 bucks? Sounds to me like it's almost an incentive to hyperbolize or fabricate a story.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm sure that SureFire won't put just any story on their site.

As to my experience, I was at the SHOT Show 2001 in Vegas and talking to somebody who knew exactly what he was doing. At first I thought it was an M3 that had blinded me. I was shocked that it was "only" an E1. I agreed that at some point in the day he would show me how to use light to take me down.
Another trick that was played on me was I was talking to PK or somebody when I felt this burning heat on the back of my neck. When I turned round there was nobody behind me and as I was looking around I felt my face getting hot. I couldn't work out why. One of the SureFire guys across the booth smiled and another turned round. They had been shining an M6 with IR BeamFilter at me!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Bright lights can really startle people. I was showing my L4 to a guy at work and he asked me where the switch was. As I was showing him, he pointed it up towards his face and pushed the switch! He jumped back and said, "what is this thing, a laser?"

It still amazes me how many people try to shine my lights in their eyes. I have no doubt that a good light can be a useful distraction in a fight.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
Sounds like the light was used by a knowledgeable person as a deliberate distraction which obviously worked.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the attacker knew is that Al was a Surefireaholic and that the appropriate distraction would to present the light, identify it as a Surefire and make some absurd claim as to it being inferior and had poor QC. While Al was in a state of shock and in a stupor, trying to think where to begin in his rebuttal, the attacker took the initiative and pushed him over.

That technique only works on a few of us. The rest succumb to the old "throw-flashlight-into-gutter-and-watch-flashaholic-go-hands-and-knees-after-it" trick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jason

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:

[/ QUOTE ]

All the attacker knew is that Al was a Surefireaholic and that the appropriate distraction would to present the light, identify it as a Surefire and make some absurd claim as to it being inferior and had poor QC. While Al was in a state of shock and in a stupor, trying to think where to begin in his rebuttal, the attacker took the initiative and pushed him over.

That technique only works on a few of us. The rest succumb to the old "throw-flashlight-into-gutter-and-watch-flashaholic-go-hands-and-knees-after-it" trick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Ow... stop it. You had me laughing so hard I think I hurt something.
Oh... I was rofl, and my E2E was in my pocket. My fault.
David

Size15's

Flashaholic
How can there be any other logical explaination? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Harharharhar!!!!

Flow, that is so ON!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Wilkey

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
My first reaction to this was skepticism given CPF's many debates about lights as a "force option" and the idea that you need at least a P90 or P91 equivalent for that purpose. NTL, any unexpected very bright light at point blank range might have a dramatic effect especially if the subject viewed it as an attack and thought he had been lasered.

Brightnorm

G2 SAVES LIFE

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what will happen if that guy happens to whip out the Kumkang Xenon HID KXM-35D1 and shine it into his victim's eyes.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
hawkhkg11 said:
Well, my question is...what's from keeping people from making up wild stories in order to win the SF "testimonial contest" and get 100 bucks? Sounds to me like it's almost an incentive to hyperbolize or fabricate a story.

[/ QUOTE ]
I got the same idea--
[ QUOTE ]
...the police were called and when filling out the incident report all the officers were amazed how the SureFire Light was able to literally save a persons (sic) life.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are not the police trained to use their lights for this purpose? I've been stopped on the road while walking and the cops are really good at using their flashlights to keep you from getting a good look at their face or their badge number, as well as enabling them to see if you're reaching for a weapon or sunglasses. The idea the police officers would be "amazed" that a flashlight could be used to gain the advantage over someone is fairly ludicrous.

123a

Newly Enlightened
I have had to use my surefire M6 to try do stop or slow down an attacker. Let me tell you I had this thing fifteen feet from him shining it right in his eyes in the dark. he was very intoxicated and It did little to stop him besides slowing him down a little. It ended in a slug fest. It doesnt matter what your shining at him as long as he is determined. Nothing but a fatal wound will stop an attacker, and only after it has become fatal.