Flashlight Newbie Question

jimjawn

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone!

I'm not sure how this will work out, but I can't believe how many options for flashlights there are out there! The information is truly overwhelming and I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction...

A little background: I'm leaving the US to work in the country of Tonga (Its in the Pacific between New Zealand and Hawaii) for the next 2 and 1/2 years. I've read a bunch of suggestions from people that have been there before about "buying good flashlights", but no suggestions for models. That's where I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

Because there may not be the right type of batteries where I'm located, I'm trying to keep all of the lights to an AA standard size. Here's a brief list

1.) A Dive Light
2.) A Bike Headlamp
3.) A Regular Headlamp
4.) 2 Decent Waterproof Flashlights

Now I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't want to waste my money on flashlights that die after I use them for a couple of weeks. I checked out flashlightreview.com but I don't even know where to get started! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Also, is there a vendor this site uses? I'd love to support this forum, its a really great resource!

Thanks,

Jim Jawn

NewsFlash

Enlightened
jimjawn,

You'll want to go to the main index on the forum, then down to Banners. Click on "all" to see all the banners. All of these companies support CPF, but as you may not know, DavidW owns this board.

As for flashlights, the only AA light I can recommend (have experience with) is the CMG Infinity Ultra. The Infinity Ultra-G is the about the same, just has HA (hard anodize) finish.

I'm sure you'll see more imput posted shortly.

And welcome to CPF!

RevDavid

Enlightened
If you are going to AA because they are available there, that's cool. If you are just trying to take one type of battery, I would recommend thinking about something that takes 123 cells. They deliver far more power for their weight, and they have a far greater shelf life. You will pack a lot less weight, and probably be a lot happier. I would also consider something with LEDs because no matter what your power source is, you will have options to give you a lot longer life.
David <><

Kristofg

Enlightened
I agree with RevDavid on the LED flashlights because of the runtime, but I think that NiMh AA cells and a charger might be more cost-effective, depending on how much use you're going to make of the flashlights.

jimjawn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the speedy replies guys! I appreciate it. From what I gather, LEDs are definitely the way to go because they last so much longer. I'll restrict the types to LEDs, that makes the most sense. In regards to the batteries, what are "123 cells"? Is that a standard battery type or a rechargable type?

Thanks, and I'll make sure I buy my stuff from the banner companies.

Jim

sc1276

Newly Enlightened
if you want a useful headlamp that runs off aa's how about a petzl myo3 or myo5? have led's for close up/low battery situations and the higher output/throw of the incandesant for spotlighhting things.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I know that you stated an interest in AA lights but take a look the the Anglelux/Blaster-1R in the Elektrolumens Forum. These are 2xD cell 1w LEDs with runtimes to 50% of max brightness of 24 hours. They are stealth lights...look like benthead (Anglelux) and straight (Blaster-1R) military lights, the kind nobody would want to take!

jimjawn

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, one more thing... I'm not sure I'm going to have access to electricity for long intermittent spurts of time. The voltage in the country is 210V/50 cycles with variations. I'm not sure if that's standard or not though. I'm pretty sure we use 120V here in the states right? Anyways, one additional brief fact I forgot to mention.

Thanks.

sc1276

Newly Enlightened
hmm, there's something new i've learnt today. uk/eu kit will be rated for 230v/50hz, so if you can't either get it out there, or at home maybe buying from the eu/uk might be an option if you're thinking about rechargers etc. although thinking about it, most ac/dc devices are ok for differering voltages/freq's as they will use a rectifier of some sort to get dc out the other end. you might be ok then. hmm, i'm sure thats been a LOT of help to you!!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd definitely reccomend something aside from your LED lights to take with you, with a little stash of batteries for it..
it's hard to find a good waterproof LED that runs on AA's it seems.. but i'll tell you to check out a company called Princeton Tec.. they make a flashlight called the Impact the runs on 4 AA's, LED powered, and waterproof to 500 feet.. here's a review for it.. http://flashlightreviews1.home.att.net/reviews/princetontec_impact.htm

also a company called Streamlight makes a flashlight named the Propolymer 4AA.. this light is also waterproof and gives off a decent amount of light.. a review for it is here.. http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/streamlight_4aaled.htm
if you're going to take dependable LED lights, you wont be able to make them all run on AA's..

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I think you should take into account the climate in Tonga. It's hot, humid, rainy and salt air. Might be best to stick with sturdy and waterproof plastic LED flashlights (dive lights) that use AA alkaline batteries. If you want metal flashlights make sure they are Type III Hard Anodized. Lithium batteries might not fair well in the hot, rainy and humid climate.
I would recommend the Tektite TREK2 LED and the CMG Ultra G Infinity. Underwater Kinetics makes great dive lights. I've also seen a photo electric battery charger somewhere that would work with NiMH batteries. Don't know about it's durability.
oldgrandpajack

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jimjawn said:
A little background: I'm leaving the US to work in the country of Tonga (Its in the Pacific between New Zealand and Hawaii) for the next 2 and 1/2 years. I've read a bunch of suggestions from people that have been there before about "buying good flashlights", but no suggestions for models. That's where I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

Because there may not be the right type of batteries where I'm located, I'm trying to keep all of the lights to an AA standard size. Here's a brief list

1.) A Dive Light
2.) A Bike Headlamp
3.) A Regular Headlamp
4.) 2 Decent Waterproof Flashlights

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, some questions, and I have to keep my comments short because I am at work.

1. Will it be easy to buy batteries and bulbs over the internet, or will it cost an arm and a leg?
Easy, Cheap online ordering? Buy whatever you want, get replacements via the internet.
HARD to order? Consider bringing a huge amount of batteries and bulbs or go LED's

2. Will you have ready access to electricty?
If Yes, consider a Streamlight Rechargable

Go to www.brightguy.com and spend some time on his website, Greg (the owner of Brightguy) has a HUGE selection of lights. Better yet, give Greg a call and ask his advice.

OK, here are some lights to consider. Not the ultimate list, but you can start doing searches on CPF on these lights to learn more about them:

-Real expensive, but well worth it, is any SUREFIRE light
-Streamlight Stinger, Stinger HP, Stinger HP XT, Ultra Stinger
-Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light
-Streamlight 4AA, 7 LED light
-Streamlight 3AA TwinTask
-Streamlight TL-3, Xenon
-Streamlight TL-3 LED (WOW!)
-Streamlight 3C Twin-Task
-Streamlight 3AA Luxeon Task-Light
-Princeton Tec Surge
Look at Pelican, Princeton Tec Underwater Kenetics and Tek-lite for dive lights
-Princeton Tec Aurora Headlamp
-Princeton Tec is also introducing some new headlamps soon.

You have to like and be comfortable with your selections. LED lights are the latest thing, but you have to be happy with your selections. For example the Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light is a favorite of mine, as it has a real long run time on one set of batteries, and puts out a nice wide, white light, and lights up everything around you, but does not have a tight, long throwing beam. Thing FLOOD light, not SPOT light.

Also, if battery selection is a problem consider a regulated light, like the ARC LS.

\Good luck, I will write more later, do searches in the meantime.

avusblue

Enlightened
I'd recommend considering the good old Lightwave 2100. Not very glamourous, but should serve well in harsh conditions. Rubber coated plastic (indestructible construction), waterproof, uses 3AA's, very long runtime, decent light output, great build quality and switch, and . . . . it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Even with all my high dollar "enthusiast" lights, I still reach for and appreciate this one often.

Usually can be found on ebay for under 25 bucks. Here is one example auction. Here is the manufacturer's website. Here is a review from LEDMuseum's site.

My 2 cents worth.

jtice

Flashaholic
I would suggest one of the 3AA StreamLight Task Lights.
You get led and incan bulb in one light.

Second, the StreamLight Propolymer 4AA LED light. Water proof, and great runtime. It should give you a very usable even flood of light.

Headlamp?... I here the Black Diamond Moonlight Pro is very nice. With excellent runtime.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I can not help you with a dive light, bike light nor a headlight (I use either lights with a clip or a Niteize head strap for the use).

However for general light purposes....

Everyone needs an Infinity or Infinity Ultra! (or if you are willing to take some AAAs along, get an ARC AAA!!!!)
All three are washing machine proof, small enough to always have with you (neck lanyard nice way to carry!), and CPF standard "must buy"s.

The Lightwave 2100 mentioned above is nice, with a sort of flood of white light (most LED lights flood rather than spot). Be careful not to tighten the head too much though. My 2100 is glued together where it started cracking at the threads. I think it's ALL my fault however!

For C batteries, the Streamlight 3C 10LED mentioned is another FINE choice. Looooong runtime, and pretty bright flood of light. I don't have the 4AA 7LED model, but have heard enough good about it to recommend it as well.

The Elektrolumens idea is another KILLER idea! I have a Starlux 3D from Wayne that kicks out a bright flood with some reach. I'm told 24+ hours to 50% brightness is normal and I BELIEVE it!

A NICE incandescent light for cheap is the Princeton Tec 40. It's a 4AA light that takes standard PR base bulbs. It is very nice as it comes, but in my case, after popping a 3cell bulb in mine, I tried a Maglight Xenon Star 4cell bulb in it. It tightens the beam up slightly, is brighter than the stock halogen, and should live a good life driven by 4 AA cells.

Good luck in your quest!

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
I am going to second the recommendation that you use rechargeable NiMH AA batteries and an international charger. Here is the best one you can buy (MAHA):

http://www.mahaenergy.com/products/PowerEx/Digicams/mhc401fs.htm#reviews

If you scroll down, you will see that they have a travel version that works with 240volts/50hz as well as the standard 120/60 in the US.

MAHA also makes the best batteries. You can get them at Thomas Distributing usually in a kit with so many batteries and a charger. Get at least 8 batteries. Personally, I'd get 12 or more, particularly if you use a digital camera (see below)

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

That way, if you take enough battries, you will always be in good shape. Currently Thomas has a package deal for $73 that includes the travel charger, 8 2200MaH battries, and a car adapter.

The problem with rechargeables, in this case, is that they will completely poop out in a few months if they just sit there on the shelf doing nothing. So if you go the rechargeable route, you must be prepared to keep your rechargeables topped off whenever you get the chance. But if you do, you will be rewarded with lots of battery storage that can power some of the more power-hungry LED lights out there.

The MAHA recharger keeps the batteries charged up and you can leave them in the charger indefinitely. Just keep rotating them, used or not, every week or so, as you have access to electricity.

You can also take as backup some lithium AA's for those rare situations when you have completely drained all your rechargeables and haven't had a chance to recharge any of them.

I like your idea of standardizing on one battery size, and AA is probably the best, given it's capacity, universality, and size. I would recommend that you also standardize on AA for your other battery-powered devices as well. Digital cameras come to mind. I have in fact done this. You can easily get a top-quality, modestly priced camera that takes 4AA's. The one I like best is the Canon Powershot A70, but there are several others.

As to flashlights: I would concur with sticking to LED as much as possible. You lose some brighness at the expense of battery life and bulb life. You should never worry about a burned out LED bulb.

If you can afford it, I would get an ARC LS with the AA attachment. That would be your regular everyday flashlight. It is about the size of a mini-Mag, very bright, has good battery life with AAs, and is waterproof. Unfortunately, it will also cost $100+.

For headlamps, pick Petzl or Princeton Tek, as related above. Both are good and should cost no more than $30 each.

For dive lights, Underwater Kinetics, as mentioned above, or Princeton Tek. PT has a new Impact XL coming out next month that has a much more powerful 1 Watt LED and uses 4 AAs. It should also cost no more than $30. They are also going to have a 1 watt headlamp called the Matrix 2. Those 1-watt LEDs are the same ones found in the expensive LED lights like the ARC LS.

Other nice waterproof lights to consider are the Streamlight Tasklight 3AA LED version or the Streamlight ProPolymer with 4AAs. I wouldn't bother with SureFire because they are so expensive, the incremental performance ain't worth it, you'd hate to lose or have them stolen, and they typically don't have that great run time.

Good luck.

Deanster

Enlightened
Sorry if I'm repetitive on this topic, but the Pelican Stealthlite seems like a good bet for one or two of your lights - 4AA, dive capable (I dive mine as a secondary light all the time), very bright and long throw, and the flat polymer body is a huge plus. It's also cheap enough at $25 or so that you won't be crushed if it's destroyed or stolen.

Worth noting that no AA light is really going to give you much light underwater - the 8 'C' lights are the first ones that seem to really do the job, and even the big HID's get eaten up by the water pretty quickly. If you're going to be night diving, you'll want something much more serious than a AA light will be.

Others have given good ideas for LED lights - I won't add anything there, but the Stealthlite and a couple extra bulbs would be the first light in my bag.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Underwater Kinetics (UKE) range of lights? Most, if not all are dive lights, and if I recall correctly there's a 4 AA model too that's rated for diving as well. Else the UKE SL4C is one that many have mentioned here and recommend too..

As for headlamps, think the Petzl's are possibly the lightest and best around, altho I'm using a 3AAA-3 LED from Pelican.

Maybe for your biking purposes you could get something like a Petzl Duo or Pelican Headsup series(dual light) which has both Xenon and LEDs?

Waterproof lights... hmm, think UKEs should take care of them all, if not then Princeton Tec is your next best bet... altho personally I still think UKE makes more robust waterproof/dive lights... They look that way anyhow...

P/S, How could I forget... you'll want a Arc AAA for EDC, with that you can never go wrong!! ;D

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also the Tektite Epedition Star light. Supposedly waterproof to 1000 feet, uses 3C batteries, and has a one watt luxeon star, so you wouldn't have to worry about the bulb burning out. Reviews here, here, and here.