My case for the underrated, underloved Surefire M4

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just seems like everytime I did up an older thread discussing the Surefire M4 here there is one common theme I see get the M6, the M4 is just a stepping stone to the M6 or the M6 is a better setup than the M4 etc, etc. Time and time again I always see this. I promise you if you start a poll on the M4 vs the M6 far more people will choose the M6 over the M4, feeling its superior to the M4. So what I wanted to do is start a compairson thread between the M4 and the M6 to prove to myself (and anyone willing to listen) that even though the M4 doesnt get much love around here it is a worty competitor to the mighty M6 and is not inferior as many M6 users might think. Keep in mind this is a compairson between stock lights. Here we go...

Cost- Gotta give it to the M4, buying these retail the M6 cost $75 more. Winner M4

Cost to operate- Again, have to give it to the M4, 4 primaries vs 6 primaries. If running the lights stock those two extra cells will really add up over time. Winner M4

Ease of switching to Lithium ion rechargeable's- Kind of debatable abit, but I'm going to give it to the M4, no special battery carries needed, just slide in your cells and change the lamp, can't get simpler than that, most heavy modification you could do is bore the body to accept 18650's. Winner M4

Overall output- Have to give it to the M6 here. M6 is brighter, whiter, longer with both the LOLA and the HOLA. Keep in mind though that when running the LOLA lamps the MN60 has a much superior beam and hotspot than the M6's MN20, MN60's hotspot nice and round whereas the MN20 is more oblong, so you have to consider that. But being able to run the MN15 in the M6 pushes it over the edge here, so M6 wins, though I believe the M4 does hold it's own. Winner M6

Weight- M4 weighs 11.6 ounces where as the M6 weighs 15.9 ounces, which would be noticably heavier, Winner M4

Length- No brainer here, M6 is 7.9 inches long whereas the M4 is 9.2 inches long. M6 is easier to throw in a glovebox or backpack, etc. Winner M6

Handling- Have to give this catagory a tie seeing as it's a personal preference. Now, there are some like myself who like the longer thinner body of the M4 so for them the M4, whereas some like the shorter fatter body of the M6, so for this reason I'm giving them a TIE

Swaping batteries in the field- This is a big one that I never see mentioned here. M4 hands down. If one's using the M6 in the field and a quick battery swap is needed, unless you have 4 hands, or another person with you, you are crap out of luck. One would have to be very skilled to swap the batteries in the M6 in the middle of night, whereas the M4 is a simple operation. I feel this is a huge catagory for me, especially if one is using lamps with only 20 minutes burn time. Winner M4

Ability to switch to clicky tailcap- As far as surefire tailcaps are concerned, I don't believe the M6 has a clicky tailcap available, whereas you have a wide selection to choose from if you want one for your M4. There may be some type of mod out there to convert your M6 tailcap to a clicky, I don't know, but I have to give this catagory to the M4. Winner M4

So there you have it. The M4 is one truly underrated underloved light IMHO, especially when you compair it to the M6, so that's why I wanted to do this thread. So, IMHO, the M4 IS NOT a stepping stone to the M6. Agree or disagree, but this is my case for the underrated Surefire M4.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on that! I have 2 M4s. One runs on WA 1111 with 17650 X 2, and one runs on IMR 16340 X 3 with Lumens Factory IMR bulb. Both have Surefire Fatty SW01 tailcaps.:devil:

EDIT: I like them so much that I bought another. This one is getting a SMO reflector, 1185 and three new batteries. A SW01 switch will come later (when I can find a good deal).

Why do I like them? Great turbo reflector, bulb options, ergonomic twisty switch, and easy to lego.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's stock (most of my SF's are), but I will add this. the MN60 is one of SF's greatest bulbs. My M4 LOLA out throws my M6 LOLA by about 50' due to the tight beam the MN60 provides. Plus, the M4 is easier to carry with a lanyard. I Love mine, and will give up my M6 before I give up my M4. Just my$.02.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am willing to listen!

My M4 is a hybrid. It has a 2x18650 Leef tube rather than the stock M4 tube. I am running a Lumen Factory EO-M3T Extreme High Output 9V, 450 Lumen Lamp Assembly on 2 x 3.7V 18650 Rechargeable Battery's. It will also run the stock lamp assembly's with 4 CR123's but I usually don't run it this way.

Darien

Newly Enlightened
This will most likely be my next light, even though I have always hoped to one day own a M6. I think I can hold off on the M4 until I know the M3 well. AofW, you just sold me on the M4 first, I like a tight beam. Thanks for all the comments, I'm paying attention.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I love my M4.

Love it even more since it's a custom Leef-bodied M4 :party:

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
When I bought my M4 there was a choice between it and the M6 for the exact same dollar as the shop seemed to be clearing them out. I went with the M4 for one of the reasons above, 4 cells and 225 lumens vs. 6 cells and 250 lumens. I don't have a M6 to compare to, but AOW's post reinforces my opinion that I made a good choice.

Paladin

Enlightened
I don't consider my personal M4's as either underrated or underloved. The wife and I often hike at night in remote unlit areas, and have never said, "Gee, I wish this light was brighter". Americans in general tend to suffer from "magnumitus" and think that more is better. Not in my world, which is based on reality in natural settings.

Paladin

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Americans in general tend to suffer from "magnumitus" and think that more is better. Not in my world, which is based on reality in natural settings.

Paladin

This American chooses to ignore your reality, and substitute my own.

In my world, the Sun comes out when you hit the tailcap switch. :D

Paladin

Enlightened
In my world, the Sun comes out when you hit the tailcap switch. :D

Just a minute. OK, my Raybans are on. Hiking at night wearing sunglasses kind of defeats the purpose on night hiking. Once the sun comes out all the night people and critters think it's time for bed.

Paladin

Monocrom

Flashaholic
True.

But I've never seen anyone look terrible in a nice pair of shades. :cool:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My preference is for the M6, but I like my M4s too.

As for the ease of changing batteries "in the field" (that term leads me to suggest you're referring to military/LEO usage, which would make sense for the M6) then it will of course be pain to remove the cells from the MB20 and put six more in, especially in the dark, but the battery magazine itself is very quickly and easily swapped out for another pre-loaded one. Buying a $100 battery magazine just to make changing the batteries easier probably won't be worth it for a lot of people here, but if you're a situation where changing the batteries in your M6 quickly is really important, then you might be the sort of person who could benefit from it.

As I said, I still like my M4s, but the M6 edges it for me. Also, if I decide not to use my M6 and want something smaller/slimmer, I'm more likely to reach for an M3/M3T/M3LT than the M4.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite prawning light is the M4 with a HO-M3T lamp running off 2xAW17670s, gives me 60mins+ of runtime. If I need longer runtimes, I just swap the HO-M3T lamp to a MN15. With the MN15 I get over 90mins of runtime before noticeable dimming.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see *nature* better when I twist on the M4. Incandescent light makes nature *pop.* Colors are more realistic and the sheer brightness makes burglars run faster!:devil:

computernut

Enlightened
I use my M4 every time I walk my dog in a nearby wilderness park. I've always wanted an M4, to me it's the perfect shape/size/styling for a light. When I was on vacation I had the opportunity to try out an M3, M4, and M6 all in the same store and it solidified my love for the M4 so I eventually bought one. I like the length as I can easily shove it under my arm when necessary. I'll definitely be buying an M3 and M6 to keep the M4 company but I have the feeling the M4 will still be the first light I grab.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running into a little conundrum...Since I have an M4 and M6, but prefer the M4...is there any reason to keep the M6??? Help!!!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running into a little conundrum...Since I have an M4 and M6, but prefer the M4...is there any reason to keep the M6??? Help!!!

Yes!
They can both use rechargeable li-on cells and primary CR123's. 2x17670's in the the M4's tube or 2x17670's in the M6's in a 2x18650 battery adapter. You can run LF HO-M3T lamp assembly's in both or a MN15 LOLA with the 17670's. Of course with the primary cells, the stock lamp assembly's apply. One of the Turbo heads can act as a spare for the other if need be. You can put the M6 Turbo head on your M3 or your M961. And of all people, I know you know that they are both cool models in the Surefire line and you can never have too many cool lights!

Last edited: