Why is Tigerlight so supreme?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When comparing the Tigerlight, Streamlight UltraStinger, and Magcharger -three fairly similar lights- it seems that people prefer the Tigerlight the majority of the time.

Why is this so? Does anybody have beamshots of some of these lights? I am especially interested in beamshots of the Tigerlight and UltraStinger.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have the TigerLight 8" and UltraStinger.

The reasons why I think the TigerLight (TL) is superior to the UltraStinger (US) are:

1) The (TL) is short and compact compared to the (TL)'s length which makes it difficult to carry and use.

2) The (TL) has a switch located towards the rear of the body. Whilst it doesn't have a TailCap switch like I'd prefer, the (US)'s switch is located at the wrong end of the body for me.

3) The (TL) is pre-focused. The (US) can be defocused with alarming ease and never is focused when I go to use it.

4) The (TL) chargering bracket it secure unlike the (US) bracket which is weak and if moved can be dislodged from charging [without being noticed in some cases]

5) The (TL) fits in a BlackHawk M6 Pouch for easy of carry and deployment (and transport in luggage etc). The (US) is a pain to carry and deploy because of it's length and switch location. When transporting in luggage I find that I have to remove the battery stick which isn't ideal.

They both cost me about the same (£100) but that's only because Traser UK (StreamLight retailers) had a great deal on. I would NEVER buy one again, not even at the price I paid rather than the normal price.

The TigerLight I have is not without faults. It is not SureFire yet beats the SureFires rechargeables because it fills a gap in SureFire's rechargeable range.
It's only about $100 I believe. That's great value for one of the brightest flashlights on the market.

Al

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the 8 inch model, there is no competition for brightness in the same price and size range. Against any light, it has a great balance of spot and flood. The only one that can consistantly outhrow it is the Magcharger, but that's at the expense of some side lighting.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
The differences of output and price between the 3 are negligible.

Thus, when comparisons are made:

The MagCharger is much longer, and almost twice as heavy. And it's made by Mag.

The UltraStinger is just too long, and too ugly.

The TL thus is the most perfect light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Which reminds me...time to make an artist avatar!

Edit: Avatar created...what do you think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I like my Tigerlight's so much because at $100 nothing comes even close to it's size and output. I have the 8" and 11" but prefer the 8" because I have yet to have a need for the pepper spray. Yes I would like a cleaner beam but come on, for this kind of money I am getting more than I deserve already. I sometimes use it for 20-30 minute stretches as a lamp when working on something outside. It just sits on its end pointing into the sky. (Hope no planes ever try to land at my house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) I wouldn't do that with any other small high power torch, the battery cost would be painful. More is better so I would like a 900 lumen Tigerlight in LED that ran for 30 minutes and had a Surefire type beam. Until that fantasy can be realized I say there is no better bang for the buck in a high power compact torch than what I refer to as the "poor man's M6".

richpalm

Banned
I have no Ultrastinger experience but since having Surefires and a Tigerlight came to dislike focusable heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

There was an issue early on with TL lamps but that has been resolved.

I called Tigerlight directly and ordered a spare LA-had a very positive conversation with Eric. We talked for a good 20 minutes. I can say that there wouldn't be any problems with support. Eric did tell me he checks CPF about once a week-so TL is definitely tuned in.

The early LA's had malformed reflectors; they are shelved. No more of this "generation I, II III" stuff-that's put to rest.

I recently vacationed in Cape May where there is a wreck a good 1/4 mile offshore. My TL OC lit it up with no problem at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Aaron,

I'm one of those that really like the TigerLight. It feels good in your hand, is very durable, and is a good every day light for close to medium range.

Nice avatar hawkhkg11.

Tom

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are pictures of some of the big boys.
{07BABB71-6CFA-4422-8500-6D4C12512798}lg.jpg

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That pic is of the 8 inch. The larger model is about the same length as the Mag, but a bit thicker. It is however a lot lighter, lighter than the 10X too IIRC.

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
I used to have FBOP Tigerlight. You can see so superior in short and medium range. I sure miss my baby tigerlight and I might get another FBOP later when the money is permit.

My TL has with UCL lens help more superior bright light.

tigerlight3.jpg

tigerlight1.jpg

TL002.jpg

LightBright

Enlightened
Wow - that 10x really lights it up!! I like my Modded UltraStinger (I only used the Head), shorter than a AA maglight with Li-Ion cells and about two hours runtime.

Size15's

Flashaholic
NEVER use it when it is charging. In general, unless specifically told you can do so, using a flashlight while it's charging is a bad idea.

To quote the TigerLight(R) Owner's Manual (c)2002 TigerLight, Inc.

"Charger Mounting and Charging
3) DO NOT TURN THE FLASHLIGHT ON WHILE IT IS IN THE CHARGER
"

Sometimes reading the manual is a good idea.

As people say "PPPPPP"

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
I'm probably the only one, but after using all three, I prefer the Ultra Stinger. I prefer the form factor of the stinger over the other lights, ie. the thinner longer barrel and switch position. I don't like a side holster, as I use this primarilly in the woods, stuff hanging off your side gets caught on stuff. If it's not in my hands it's in my front jean pocket with the head sticking out(head of the light...) quite comfortably. You hardly know it's there. I know it's not fashionable, but I guess it's just a personal preference thing. The only one that can see me is my hounds anyway....

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've always liked the feel of the US in my hand, however I'm more interested in total output. The TL always felt "fat", whereas the US felt good + it makes a great club if/when ever needed to cave-in someones skull.