Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire M3

Default Re: Surefire M3

Quote Originally Posted by angelofwar View Post
    Got it, Z-Tab! Thanks a bunch! Just to show you that it's in good hands, here's a pic of it with it's other relic cousin, a mint L6...

And in bed with his "older" siblings, mint 3-Flats C3, mint L2, mint 2rd Gen E2L w/ KL1...unfortunately, the M6 may soon be joining the "museum" piece collection...

Thanks again Z-Tab...it's in good hands! Enjoy your new light!
    In the top photo what is that tailcap on the flashlight in the middle?

Default Re: SF M3 combatlight

Thanks, I see many of my questions answered in The M3 thread started by Brigadier.
    Last edited by Jeffa; 12-24-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffa View Post
    Surefire SW02

I need some help. I have been using two 17500's with a Z48 clicky tailcap with no issues for a few years now. Those were with AW's old 17500's, though. The new ones are a little bit longer and the Z48 switch hates them. I will have to keep screwing the head and tailcap on and off about 10 times before the light will work. It will work fine with the standard Z41 switch, though.

So, increase the cell lenght slightly, and the clicky switch isn't working. Where is the problem with this?

The M3 is a damn sexy light...and is a TRUE combat-light. I wanted one for the longest time, and when I finally held one, it was instant attraction. Yes, they're incan, and the runtime "sucks", but, if your kicking down doors, and taking down bad-guys, even with the short runtime, it's one of the sweetest lights to use and hold...especially the older models with the different bezels. Get it before they become dinosaurs...being discontinued, and such a popular incan, (not to mention the resale value of SF's in general), M3's aren;t going to get cheaper...look for the prices to start increasing on the open market. Get one while they're cheap...think I'm joking? See how much a 15-20 year old 3P or a 9Z will cost ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffa View Post
    Ha-Ha! I just replied to your other M3 thread Jeffa. Try to hunt down one of the older M3 bezels if you can. The "M2" style bezel is probably the heftiest, and is a close tie to being the "sexiest" Z46, next to the first gen model. Due to financial hardships, I had to let go of the beaut on the far left, but luckily, I was able to acquire an exact replica, albeit not in as good as shape, so my M3 hunger is cured...plus, with my assortment of 9-volt millenium weapon-lights, the lego-ability is endless. Check out some of the links in my sig for some more ideas on what can be done with the 9-12volts "M" series lights.

My favorite M3 uses Lumens Factory IMR-M6 with 3 AW IMR 16340 batteries. Run time? Short. Bright? Nice white round beam. The SW01 makes it easy to twist on and can, of course, still be used as momentary.

I have a 9Z with the round head. I called Surefire to get a replacement lens because mine warped from too much heat and they are sending me a whole new replacement head with a pyrex lens. I was told it has hexagonals on it to prevent it from rolling but I will also keep the original head in a box to keep it all original if necessary for a future sale (doubtful).

I was going to get an LED for the M3 but I think I may be happier leaving it as an incan.
    Last edited by Jeffa; 12-27-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: grammer

Ha-Ha! I just replied to your other M3 thread Jeffa. Try to hunt down one of the older M3 bezels if you can. The "M2" style bezel is probably the heftiest, and is a close tie to being the "sexiest" Z46, next to the first gen model. Due to financial hardships, I had to let go of the beaut on the far left, but luckily, I was able to acquire an exact replica, albeit not in as good as shape, so my M3 hunger is cured...plus, with my assortment of 9-volt millenium weapon-lights, the lego-ability is endless. Check out some of the links in my sig for some more ideas on what can be done with the 9-12volts "M" series lights.
    You may cost me a lot of money. At least my wife can blame you instead of always yelling at me for this hobby.

Surefire is good about sending out parts to keep their lights working. I use incandescent and LED for different purposes, but I enjoy the hotwires the most. The M3 is a great light that does not get the attention that it should. Keep the old parts you get just in case....

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Freaker View Post
    I need some help. I have been using two 17500's with a Z48 clicky tailcap with no issues for a few years now. Those were with AW's old 17500's, though. The new ones are a little bit longer and the Z48 switch hates them. I will have to keep screwing the head and tailcap on and off about 10 times before the light will work. It will work fine with the standard Z41 switch, though.

So, increase the cell lenght slightly, and the clicky switch isn't working. Where is the problem with this?
    I kind of wish he hadn't increased the length as well, for the sake of a lot of other lights. But I've found all the other manufactures increased their lengths as well and AW is still about the shortest one out there. You shouldn't have a problem with the Z48 though, it might be more related to the body than anything, or perhaps the springs on the lamp assembly. What type of body and lamp are you using?
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    I kind of wish he hadn't increased the length as well, for the sake of a lot of other lights. But I've found all the other manufactures increased their lengths as well and AW is still about the shortest one out there. You shouldn't have a problem with the Z48 though, it might be more related to the body than anything, or perhaps the springs on the lamp assembly. What type of body and lamp are you using?
    It's a standard Surefire M3. The lamp I was using was a Lumens Factory EO-M3.

Actually since you asked that, I just dug up my old mn10 and it works fine with the longer cells and Z48. So something between the springs, longer cells, and body.
    Last edited by Freaker; 12-27-2011 at 12:29 PM.

I've had the same problem. If you tweak the outer spring on the EO-M3 and make it just a little wider, you'll find your light works. I've had to do this a couple of times. Enjoy your M3!

Enlightened

I got a email from Malkoff Devices about his new MD60 and MD10 drop-ins. Don't know if its is ok to post it here, they can remove it if I'm wrong.

Hello All,
    Please take a look at these. If you are interested, Please sign up for
    email notification. I know its a poor picture for the MD60 and no picture
    for the MD10. I should have these available sometime next week. I will
    update in the near future.
    http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m...hts-p-118.html
    http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m...hts-p-117.html
    Merry Christmas,
    Last edited by Student99; 12-27-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo

I just did that and it works now. Thanks!

You're welcome! Enjoy your M3. One of my many favorite lights. Legoable, bombproof!

Quote Originally Posted by Student99 View Post
    I got a email from Malkoff Devices about his new MD60 and MD10 drop-ins. Don't know if its is ok to post it here, they can remove it if I'm wrong.

Hello All,
    Please take a look at these. If you are interested, Please sign up for
    email notification. I know its a poor picture for the MD60 and no picture
    for the MD10. I should have these available sometime next week. I will
    update in the near future.
    http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m...hts-p-118.html
    http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m...hts-p-117.html
    Merry Christmas,
    Very nice, can't wait to try the Malkoff MD10, wow

Flashaholic*

I was playing around with my old school M3 last night with the MN10. I love this light too much, I'm afraid to put a scratch on it, so it never leaves the living room! But then that goes for most of my lights..
    ampdude

I once had a M3/M3T/M4/M6... sold them all like an IDIOT thinking I didn't REALLY need them...

Quote Originally Posted by signal 13 View Post
    I once had a M3/M3T/M4/M6... sold them all like an IDIOT thinking I didn't REALLY need them...
    You probably sold them to me on eBay...

so i own an m3 from ~2004-ish and I think you guys have got me persuaded to get my m3 bored out to 18mm. should I go for it?

i'm actually disappointed with the output and how it compares to my other lights nowadays, so i guess i have no choice but to get it bored to 18?

then what? can it continue to drive the stock bulb with, say two IMR 18500s? do i have other battery config options? i want some decent-ish runtime, though.

i guess the best bulb to use would be the "Lumens Factory IMR-M3 500 Lumens Lamp Assembly for SureFire M3 with IMR Batteries ONLY"?

or should I just go for LED drop-in?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

That bulb is only going to give you five more minutes and ~80 OTF lumens than 2x17500 and an EO-M3. Not a big difference.

I could never let my M3 get molested by a lathe, especially now that they've canceled them. For instance, I can buy a solarforce L2 and an extender for the same price it would cost to bore my 9P. I would rather leave the now-discontinued 9P alone and let the solarforce get all dinged up.
    Last edited by Freaker; 12-29-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    so i own an m3 from ~2004-ish and I think you guys have got me persuaded to get my m3 bored out to 18mm. should I go for it?

i'm actually disappointed with the output and how it compares to my other lights nowadays, so i guess i have no choice but to get it bored to 18?

then what? can it continue to drive the stock bulb with, say two IMR 18500s? do i have other battery config options? i want some decent-ish runtime, though.

i guess the best bulb to use would be the "Lumens Factory IMR-M3 500 Lumens Lamp Assembly for SureFire M3 with IMR Batteries ONLY"?

Leave it stock, and get one of the new Malkoff towers for it...or have Nail bender build you one.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post

Please leave it stock. You can always get an aftermarket 18mm body if you really want one. Bore the original body out and you run the risk of ruining it, and primaries will rattle around when you use them. I know a lot of people say they only use rechargeables, but it's nice to use primaries when you need more runtime than a set of rechargeables can provide and for emergencies.
    ampdude

Flashaholic*

Ooo Re: Surefire M3

Leave it stock, and get one of the new Malkoff towers for it...or have Nail bender build you one.
    Malkoff is making towers?!
    Last edited by kelmo; 12-29-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Sure enough Kelmo. The MD10 (regular M3) and MD60 (M4/M3T/M6, etc.) are the models, IIRC.

Flashaholic*

Wow AOW, I just found it on the Malkoff website. 260 Malkoff lumens. Crap this is going to put me in the hole for a while...

Two similar threads merged ...

I traded away my M3 head when I upgraded it with a LF P7 head. Now that there are so many other crazy bright LEDs out there I'm going to try to set it up again as an Incan original. This thread has me even more motivated!

I just ordered my first M3, reading this thread has me really excited. I think I am just going to use it as a stock incan with primaries for a while. I will have two high output and two standard output lamps. It sounds like stock is a great setup. Although I just got my first Malkoff dropins last month so the Malkoff tower is tempting. I am new to the forums so I am just learning about nail bender stuff too. Hopefully my light will arrive soon.