7,000 Lux in a 6-Inch Package

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Nope, this is not your father's Space Needle II. This is not even your Own Space Needle II -- this is the offspring. This is what would happen if the SN2 mated with the LG5.

So when they send out the birth announcements and you head down to the flashlight hospital and look through the window where all the newborns are, this is what you'd see:

fb21f412.jpg

Needless to say, even at this age it already stands on its head rather well...

This mod was made possible by a custom machined part, shown here with bevel up and then bevel down:

fb21f41c.jpg
fb21f41a.jpg

The bevel was not necessary to make it work, but it served to make a smoother transition from the Mag head's curvature into the Brinkmann LX's body. And I imagine it would look smoother still if I had a pewter colored Mag head handy:

fb21f415.jpg

But looks are not everything, there must be proof in the pudding -- but not to worry, there was plenty:

fb21f40f.jpg

6,940 lux in a light under 6 inches tall, using "just" a V2T...

I have better-binned 5Ws available, and I have the machinist standing by. This is a feeler to see who might be interested in owning something like this. I know not the final cost at this time because I need the machine shop's estimate for their end, which is understandably tied to how many we have made.

So please sound off here and as always, Thanks for looking.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm, this might not related at all, but, where the body of the mags go?

jtice

Flashaholic
Well, it may be a slightly deformed baby, but hes functional. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not a bad idea. One HELL of a turbo head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rookie

Enlightened
Very interesting.....though I wonder if the run time is greater than the McModule.....

Likebright

Enlightened
Looks good Charlie,
Questions:
You would provide a sorta modular link between the two lights
(i.e. machined parts) as well as the LED module and we would get the flashlights and link them togeather with it?
Or would you make the whole thing?
Would it be regulated?
The beam would focus similar to the SN-II I assume?

It looks a little odd but solid.
7000Lux of good white light YES I'd like one.

Mike

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
shiftd, I need to decide whether to buy the heads, bezels, o-rings for same, and reflectors all separately, or just buy the entire lights and provide the bodies to the participants to use for purposes that they see fit.

You know something Ticey? There is the incandescent use of this mod piece to be considered (might check that soon, although I'd have to buy and bust open a new-in-package LX), so that your stock Legend LX can now throw across town or whatever. So then I'd have to consider having even more of the adapters made fo the incandescent guys.

rookie, those who have done run time tests (myself included) would tell you that, as far as for very real usable light, Direct Drive lights will run for literally DAYS while constant-on as compared to an hour or two under regulation.

likebright, I could either provide completely built lights or sell just the adapters themselves for those who would prefer to build their light or put it to another use (such as in the stock incandescent LXs).

THanks for the replies so far.

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the idea of a compact SN2 but wonder if you could use something smaller than the Mag head.

Maybe you could paint that bevelled section with black enamel?

I'd be interested if my finances could stand it, but this isn't the right time for me. Nice light though!

blahblahblah

Enlightened
But of course...

Count me in for one... You don't need to ask... just send me a paypal request :)

Thanks again,

Marco

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
umm, this might not related at all, but, where the body of the mags go?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not supposed to violate my NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement), but the LX heads were bored out to accept the mag bodies for the yet to be announced "Pin-Head".

The PinHead suffers from the unfortunate curse of igniting flamables when carelessly waved about. Further tests are currently in order to determine the best method of difusing such an intense beam to permit limited sales to "hi-level flashaholic-type" potential owners.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Charlie, whay can I say? these lights are gonna be as cool (or more so) than the rest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie, when I saw that title I just knew it had to be you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A very interesting project! I probably wouldn't buy one of these, but it's well worth doing nonetheless! And no doubt you'll find some takers.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really is a groovy little light. Diggin' that big head. I'm not familiar with the Legend LX. I assume it to be driven by three 123 cells.
Am I correct?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
paulr -- actually someone e-mailed that he was having a Legend LX "slimmed down" by that certain machinist -- and a Mag head was also "slimmed down" (as in Photon Baton):

namethis1.jpg

so esthetics could always be addressed to each owner's satisfaction afterwards.

Marco, Daz, V8, Banshee, thank you kindly.

Slick, I'll let you take on that one...

Shank, the length of the light's body tube is not altered. Please see the LG5 link above for a full description of the power format (and I can now get them for just $2 each -- shipped).

But I'm going to need to order a hundred adapter units to make this work out costwise. And if not, I may just go with the smallest light possible (meaning no Mag-Turbohead up top) in the plain LG5.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, turning the mag head down will result in a much better form factor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

roth_parts%20012_jpg.jpg

Likebright

Enlightened
Charlie the Mag Turbo head makes it. Don't change it!
I am pretty sure the interest is there you'll move 100.
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ken M

Newly Enlightened
Hi Charlie,

I'd definitely be interested in getting one of these. I think it would also look good with a silver Mag head, although that color may have been discontinued. I have an extra silver D-head if you need one.

Ken