Foxfury Scout

Thread: Strontium Aluminate Smell?

Default Strontium Aluminate Smell?

I just received some glow powder I ordered.

I would normally have ordered from glowinc, but for this project, quantity was more important than having absolutely the best quality (star ceiling for my 8 year old son)

I got 1oz for $7.50, which is a pretty good price.

Thing is, this stuff smells!

It's not overpowering, but it's definitely detectable if I put my nose to the bag.

It smells like vinegar and bad eggs.

I understood that zinc sulfide was the stinky one, and sulfur compounds often have a rotten egg smell.

The smell doesn't matter as it will disappear when the powder is enclosed in paint, just want to make sure I got what I paid for?

Default Re: Strontium Aluminate Smell?

I suspect that the glow powder was zinc sulfide based or at least has become contaminated. Strontium aluminate powders should have no odor.

Default Re: Strontium Aluminate Smell?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbeat View Post
    I just received some glow powder I ordered.

I would normally have ordered from glowinc, but for this project, quantity was more important than having absolutely the best quality (star ceiling for my 8 year old son)

I got 1oz for $7.50, which is a pretty good price.

Thing is, this stuff smells!

It's not overpowering, but it's definitely detectable if I put my nose to the bag.

It smells like vinegar and bad eggs.

I understood that zinc sulfide was the stinky one, and sulfur compounds often have a rotten egg smell.

The smell doesn't matter as it will disappear when the powder is enclosed in paint, just want to make sure I got what I paid for?
    Yes, you got what you paid for