BlackShadow
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

Default Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

I could not find for the life of me any posts or topics about this. I picked up a couple 3D maglite LED models over black friday from lowes for modding purposes because of their excellent deep reflector. On one of them I noticed it did not have a luxeon rebel, but a cree XP-E. The module is labeled 484. Am I the first to report this, or is this old news??

Kudos to mag for continuing to switch to better LEDs. I just wish they had some better heatsinking but I guess that would kill the fast focus with the cam system they have. I have yet to power either one up to compare to my modded mags but will when I get some D cells. I plan to mod one with an SST-50 and NiMH D cells to supplement my 3C Seoul light.

Default Re: Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

Trying to link all these up so here is my previous (less informative) thread Maglite 3D LED with Cree?!?!.

Enlightened

Treek13, I was just wondering how you teell the difference between the 2 leds by only looking at them. Any help would be great thanks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by R983 View Post
    Treek13, I was just wondering how you teell the difference between the 2 leds by only looking at them. Any help would be great thanks.
    You could start by reading HERE.
    It looks like much of this thread was lost...
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Here's a picture that I took for this thread originally that was lost in the recent crash:

Cree on the left, Rebel on the right, both on 3D emitter modules.

It would appear that MagLite has reduced the output to the more efficient XP-E emitters on these lights because I measured about 100mA less current at the tail cap on the Cree version compared to the Rebel version. Going by this logic the Cree emitter using the slightly harder driven Rebel driver should give slightly more output. Extending that logic a bit more, combining the Cree XP-E LEd with the hardest driven Rebel MagLED, the 2D, would give me even more output. I did just that and measured 150 OTF lumens on bigC's sphere. The stock 2D Rebel MagLED measured 110 lumens in his previous sphere and the hotspot is slightly smaller, too, which helps with throw.

Enlightened

Thanks for the replies , I was able to find a 3D version Mag with the new Cree. It was in the same packaging as the other rebel equiped Mags. However there was one silver 3D with new packaging stating"new brighter led" and an orange sticker saying something about extreme throw distance of 380 some odd meters. That unit had the same 484 cree as the one that I bought. This helped me out quite a bit... I was going to go with a Poly Stinger led or the pelican LAPD light. This Mag out throws my G2 led and TRL-1 mounted on my AR. For how often and what it will be used for, Im really glad i came accross this info... I think I got what I wanted and saved over a hundred bucks in the process. (I know the streamlight and Pelican are brighter and have many advantages, but for my purposes i couldn't justify the cost. )

Thnaks Rich
    Last edited by R983; 03-15-2011 at 06:31 PM.

I was in Sears today poking around the flashlight aisle (of course), and I noticed the XP-E Mags. Another guy was there looking through them, and was about to walk away with a Mag incandescent. I stopped him, and told him he would be better off buying the Mag XP-E. I handed him the 3D XP-E light, but he said he preferred the 2D since it was smaller.

I feel proud.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

So, this new 3D Maglite with Cree XP-E:

1) How much runtime per set of three D alkaline cells are we looking at?
    2) How flat is the discharge curve?
    3) How much current draw at the tailcap/per cell?

:-)

LEDAdd1ct
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

I am also interested in info on this new Maglite 3D LED... just to take some "vacation" from Surefire's and clones, I wanted to purchase blue 3D, incan version and install TerraLux-6EXB LED... however... still cannot find info if TerraLux solved heating issues they had before... Then I read about Maglite 3D LED and at first they had HORRIBLE reviews due to emitters droping to about 50% after 1-2 minutes working, due to poor heatsinking... By using more efficient XP-E, this might improve significally (maybe they did few other mods to heatsink, or replace plastic one with aluminum)...

Either way... blue is for a newly purchased vehicle for my wife - blue compact station wagon... would look great installed inside as emergecy ligth/window breaker...

Anyway... any new info on these new LED's ??? I read an review on amazon and one customer with rather new review date is mentioning 2nd generation Maglite 3D LED which is superior to 1st generation... I wonder if this 2nd gen he's menioning is indeed XP-E model...

I thought there were three generations of Maglite LED "D" size flashlights:

1) Luxeon III emitters, also available in the "dropin" module which could be purchased separately
    2) Rebel emitters (see PCC's great photo in post #5)
    3) XP-E emitters, available contemporaneously with the Rebel

*scratches head*

Your type 1 would have serial number D..., which is no different from an incan model with a drop-in so it's not really an LED light. The dedicated LED model has serial number DL..., and that one has two generations.

Roger that, Robin. :-)

Unenlightened

I've been thinking of purchasing a new 2D MagLED off of amazon or something. Does this mean if I get a new 2D MagLED it'll be the new Cree LED module? Or are they still selling Rebels? Anyone know? I previously had a first generation 2D MagLED with the Luxeon emitter and found it to be embarrassingly weak.

They are more of the Rebel edition Mags out there than there are ones with the Cree. I still even occasionally come across those old first generation Luxeon models in some stores.

I would recommend buying it in person so you can check the model yourself. If that isn't possible, try to find a online retailer you can trust to check it for you.

It would depend on how much volume Amazon has. They probably sell more than retail stores so their stock shouldn't be too old, but there's really no way to predict which version will show up. Their price is much better than retail stores though, so it might be worth taking a chance. Besides, there's really not that much difference between the Luxeon Rebel and Cree XP-E...

Banned

This does seem like progress for Maglite, and given that a 3D Mag LED costs, what about $22, I think they are very cheap. Good budget light that I think Maglite cleverly aims at a large audience in terms of pricing, availability and marketing.

I am always a little surprised to see how popular they are on here though, given the things they lack such as HAIII anodising, proper (or any) heat sinking, glass lenses, metal switches/reflectors etc etc

Not that you can expect these things for this kind of money.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by dantsai View Post
    I previously had a first generation 2D MagLED with the Luxeon emitter and found it to be embarrassingly weak.
    If that's the case then you're not going to be any happier with this one over your previous one. The only real difference is that the hotspot can be focused to a smaller spot with the Cree MagLED compared to the Rebel MagLED. They both put out pretty much the same amount of light in terms of lumens.

I think he has the one with the Luxeon III, which puts out about 80 lumens?

According to Quickbeam's numbers, the first generation 2D MagLED put out about 50 lumens.

Both the Rebel model & the Cree are going to look good compared to that.

i had a first gen dropin wasnt impressed. i have 2 of the 2D rebels and just bought a 3D Cree, there both great for the money.

Flashaholic*

My bad. BTW, if anyone out there still has their old modules, do an emitter swap with a newer emitter, like an XP-G R5. We measured 160 OTF lumens on the one that I did and that one has an R4 in it along with a UCL. The best part is that the older module draws slightly more than half the amps that the newer module does and can make more light doing so with a modern emitter.

This thread got me interested in looking at the new Mag LED. I found the new one at Lowes. It says 131 lumens and something like 33,000 peak beam candlepower. These are pretty decent specs. This should throw better than many other led lights. It was around 30 dollars which still isn't bad considering the specs and long run time on 3 D cells.

I am curious as to what the regulation is like. Also, I wonder if there will be a reductn in output if it is run with NiMh batteries since the voltage will be 3.6 volts as opposed to 4.5 with alkalines.

Flashaholic*

My XP-E Mag easily throws 600 meters. I can distinguish a person from a bush fairly well at that range, too. Of course it's no SR-90, but it's still dang good range, for only being driven to 110 lumens.

I was going to mod it with an XM-L, but I've decided to just buy an incan 3D, and the deep reflector from the new ones, and mod that.

Honestly, It's one of the best $30 I've spent on a flashlight yet ($50 if you include batteries & taxes).

Just gotta get the $150+, so I can make my 9AA XM-L Mag build.

Beamshot range added. From dot to dot is the longest range I have tested the light to. Plenty enough for me. Anything past that isn't a problem/threat to me, unless it's a military sniper, at which point I'm %$#%D.
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...AGDISTANCE.png

~Brian
    Last edited by bstrickler; 05-22-2011 at 02:42 AM.

I saw the same old MAg 3D (29.99, IRC) + 2xAA minimag package in costco recently. THe package looked the same as before, but it looked like it had 484 printed by the LED. Would that be the XP-E, but they did not bother to mention higher output? I was a little tmpeted, but both of the multi-mode minimags I got this way last time have proven to be a little unreliable (even with the lanyard tailcap) so I don't think I'll do anyting about it.

If it says 484, it's XP-E. The LED was upgraded before the packaging was revised.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bstrickler View Post
    My XP-E Mag easily throws 600 meters. I can distinguish a person from a bush fairly well at that range, too. Of course it's no SR-90, but it's still dang good range, for only being driven to 110 lumens.~Brian
    600 metres??? You sure?

I have measured out a 150 metre outdoor test and tried out a couple of lights, in pretty much total darkness in the country, and would be astonished to think that even a well focussed mag could do anything useful at this range. The only things I could light up, to what I would say was a level where you could identify things was an aspheric light I had and a 35W HID. My Firesword IV, M1X, TLE-300M etc were not great at this distance, albeit did light it my target tree to some extent.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by uknewbie View Post
    600 metres??? You sure?

I have measured out a 150 metre outdoor test and tried out a couple of lights, in pretty much total darkness in the country, and would be astonished to think that even a well focussed mag could do anything useful at this range. The only things I could light up, to what I would say was a level where you could identify things was an aspheric light I had and a 35W HID. My Firesword IV, M1X, TLE-300M etc were not great at this distance, albeit did light it my target tree to some extent.
    It was reflecting off a white house, so that may have allowed the range to be exaggerated.

For me, though, I'm able to see movement and shapes at that range (nothing smaller than a human, though). My eyes are extremely sensitive to light, though, so that may be part of it. When my eyes adapt to the darkness on a new moon, I can see up to about 25-30 feet with my Quark on moonlight.

In a forested area, I'll cut the range to 100 meters.

~Brian

Flashaholic*

Sorry for necro-ing the thread, but I decided to take a beamshot with my camera, comparing the Mag 3D with XP-E against my 4Sevens Quark AA (running a 14500) on high (forgot to turn it to turbo)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...r/DSC07309.jpg

You can see the flood from the quark at the bottom of the pic, and on the house to the left but thats about it. The house way in the middle is about 400' out. Exposure was 1 second at F2.5. It's not much dimmer in real life, either.

Maybe I got an overdriven XP-E?

~Brian

Is there anyway to determine whether these lights have the Cree upgrades without opening the package? Thanks

You can look through the top. That is the only way to tell, unless the package says 130+ lumens on it.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast