Foxfury Scout        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

Default Re: Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

Has anybody run into any issues with the D-Cell Mags pulling a small current when off? I know the xl-200 does a little bit, but it also has multiple modes and mode memory.
    "Maybe you should just stick to fire on a stick... it's received excellent reviews here - plus it's a time tested design..."

It's not possible, there's no electrical path when the mechanical switch is off unless something is wrong with your light.

Flashaholic

Very envious of you guys in the US with the Maglite 2D so cheap. Where i live, they haven't even got the one with the new Cree led yet.

If anyone would be kind enough to buy a 2D with the new Cree XP-E led (from homedepo/wallmart/target/etc) and post it to me, please PM me.

Thanks.

Just purchased one of the Cree 2D LED Maglites and loving it. But I am wondering, is it possible to replace the 2 D cells with 6 AA Eneloops? I know the adapters are out there but can the LED handle it?

Thank you

That will probably cause an issue, I would use 2AA to D adapters instead.

Just to be clear, it is not important how many AA's are in the adapter, one, two or three, but that they are in parallel, not series for the multiple cell adapters. Even two series, which would be four total, is a huge overdrive from what the circuit is designed for. I don't know what will happen, but I won't try it on my light!

Quote Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
    Just purchased one of the Cree 2D LED Maglites and loving it. But I am wondering, is it possible to replace the 2 D cells with 6 AA Eneloops? I know the adapters are out there but can the LED handle it?

Thank you
    If they are in parallel (2 sets of [3AAs in parallel] ), then yes.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

dredged up an old post, ( i know thats frowned upon,sorry)

so the 2015-16 models use the Cree led? my ML25 3Cell looks like pics of a Cree.

You dredged up a thread started by Issac Hayes.
    How can that be a bad thing? lol.

Nah, seriously some say necrobumps are uncool, but as a big fan of researching answers I'm always stoked to see a question asked in a previous thread.

What I mean by that would be something like I just discovered the 'OilFire BR549" from oh... about 2009. I love that BR549 but am curious if it can be Malkoff'd. Research shows 347 threads. 44 of them are asking "can the OilFire BR549 be upgraded?"... or "what LED does the OilFire BR549 use?"... and worse only the 14th one researched has any tangable information.
    So at least from this guy I say "thank you for not starting a new thread" followed by "thank you for using the CPF's vast library."

Now with all that said I don't have an answer to your question except to say yes it is a CREE, but which one I don't know.
    I just wanted to say "thank you."
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-14-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    John 3:16
    "Never shoot a gatling gun wearing sandals" -PK

bykfixer, your most welcome Sir!

How many people you think would know where the BR549 reference came from? Priceless. We may be around the same age.

The current gen (ML50L and ML300L) use the XM-L I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercyfulfate1777 View Post
    bykfixer, your most welcome Sir!

How many people you think would know where the BR549 reference came from? Priceless. We may be around the same age.
    (Howling voice singing) "if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all... gloom despair and agony on me" lol

I suppose you've seen or used a coffee percolator... a flower sifter, held the flashlight while your pop swapped tubes in the 1 tv in the house...
    Hated it when trying to dial in to a radio contest that had the #9 in the phone number because the rotary dial took so long... remember tough skins jeans, parents looked for razor blades in your halloween candy, remember the summer a soda went from 5˘ to 10˘ when you'd walked all the way to the store with a nickel.

So yeah I remember when owning a Maglite made you king for a day.

I was born in 64. How 'bout you Mercy?
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-14-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Amazing, I loved Hee Haw! Being Born and mostly raised in the Southern Region of the U.S. that was a staple in my house for sure. And here goes the kicker, i was born in 64. im sure you also had your Farrah poster or shirt,lol r.i.p.

and rotary phones was exactly why i never won a radio contest!lol When someone ask my age or it comes up i just tell them i was born when the Beatles came to America.

we rock!

From the south too.
    My friends had Farrah posters. I was that guy with famous motorcycle racers, NASCAR racing, NHRA, motocross and rock band posters in my room that was littered with soda bottles n cans, hot wheels cars and railroad insulators on display.
    My favorite poster was that big red white n blue Harley 1 logo from when AMF owned them... that was the official Evel Knievel logo if you remember that. Eventually KISS posters took over. Then center folds from skateboarding magazines after that. By the time I was grown and moved out my room was painted a black and white checkerboard with surf shop logos here n there.

For the time HeeHaw came on tv that was the deadline to be home on Sundays. "Be home before HeeHaw comes on" my mom would say.

And now Maglite uses CREE.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-14-2017 at 07:39 PM.

I remember all of that. Good times for sure. 60 minutes and Gunsmoke. I used Kryptonic wheels on my Skateboard,remember those? and Tracker Trucks.late 70s i believe. Evel Knievel was my Hero!

Oh hell, this train is already off the tracks - '62:

Towne Club soda wood cases in the garage, my first skate board was made from an old steel clamp-on roller skate cut up and screwed to a piece of plywood.

Wilson and Twin Pines delivering milk to the milk chutes at the side of the garage each morning.

My dad always watched "Combat!" on prime time. We all gathered for The Carol Burnett Show, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in, Hee-Haw, and Sonny and Cher.

We were the last ones in the neighborhood to get a color TV - but it had a remote - with a motor that rotated the channel dial from inside. And yes, I remember my dad changing tubes in it. He even built a Heathkit one as part of a correspondence electronics class.

Riding my Lemon Peeler Sting Ray on the trails were the dirt bikes ran before the first BMX bikes came out.

Oh, and of course, thin steel tube Eveready 2-D flashlights with carbon batteries that you had to smack every 10 seconds to keep on.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456