• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wizard 400 wiring?

yclo

Flashaholic*
I just got a Wizard 400 board and was wondering how the correct wiring should look like.

I know that there are pictures located here:
http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/cpf_store/converters/converters.htm

Here is my one:
fb2135c0.jpg

Am I correct in saying that:
1. Vin +
2. LED +
3. Ground
4. LED -

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

-YC

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
yc, that looks correct. Is that a totally bare board you got there?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this is correct. No components on the backside. The board contains components for other configurations which are not used in the base model.

Greta

Flashaholic
Continuation of thread, copied from HERE.

yclo06-27-2007 07:33 AM
Re: Wizard 400 wiring?

Man, this thread is old.

I have just wired up this exact version of the Wiz400 driver for my headlight and because it does not have much mass, it heads up really fast. After the exterior reaches over 50 ºC, the converter shuts off by itself and refuses to work unless it cools down.

In the graph below, I unplugged the light after it switched off by itself. If I leave it plugged in, it will give brief flashes afterwards which I presume is because the light cools down, turns on, and gets hot again.

637491887_a92f5e364a_o.jpg

Is there an upper temperature limit for these driver boards? I recall that the Cree XR-E datasheet says the upper limit for the emitter is above 80 ºC.

Also, what is the maximum Vin for this Wizard board?

Thanks.

-YC

dat2zip06-27-2007 09:18 AMRe: Wizard 400 wiring?

50C on the outside temperature may not tell the whole story. Depending on whether the converter board is potted or not the temperature of the converter IC could be much higher. The IC die shuts down around 120C.

I would guess the IC is not thermally potted and the IC without some form of heat sinking is getting real hot.

Potting the converter board will help the IC from overheating and shutting down.

Cool light! :thumbsup:

Wayne

yclo07-01-2007 06:49 AMRe: Wizard 400 wiring?

Thanks Wayne, you're right in saying that the board hasn't been potted. Just to be clear when you say potting, is that using the thermal adhesive or the thermal compound?

For this particular setup, is there a different in load on the IC when using a input of say 3V compared to 6V or 9V?

Also, do you recall what the maximum input voltage is for this version of your wizard board?

-YC

dat2zip07-01-2007 08:17 AMRe: Wizard 400 wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yclo (Post 2039346)
Thanks Wayne, you're right in saying that the board hasn't been potted. Just to be clear when you say potting, is that using the thermal adhesive or the thermal compound?

For this particular setup, is there a different in load on the IC when using a input of say 3V compared to 6V or 9V?

Also, do you recall what the maximum input voltage is for this version of your wizard board?

-YC

Potting should be with Thermal adhesive (AA epoxy).

I don't recall the capacitors used on this board for sure. They are either 10V rating or 16V rating parts. This particular board is still a boost converter with the LED wired from the output back to the supply, so the output is Vin + LED Vf.

Being a boost converter I would say off the top of my head that boosting from 3V to 6V is more work on the converter board than from 6V to 9V.

Wayne