Surefire A2 Changed.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Just opened one of two Surefire A2's I recently bought. Sold my older one a little over a week ago to a fellow member. Surefire has made a change. The newer model has the long pocket clip. It also has the new FCC logo and new tailcap. The longer pocket clip is a nice change.
oldgrandpajack

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I apologize. Don't have the means to get a photo online. When I said it had a new tail cap, I meant the one that locks out without exposing the o-ring. That's been the standard for a while now. The big change is the long pocket clip. It is the same one the E2O has. These are only the third and fourth items from Surefire, that I own, that have the FCC logo. The other two are a red KL1-HA and a green KL3-HA. I have a new unopened L4 that may also have the FCC logo.
oldgrandpajack

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh alright then, thanks anyway; i've always preferred the longer clip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 does have an FCC logo, which is interesting, because products intended for mobile use are specifically e
exempted for Class A/Class B compliance. That is why the DVD or CD player at home will have an FCC logo, but the one in your car will not.
It doesn't need one because it is exempt.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mattheww50 said:
The A2 does have an FCC logo, which is interesting, because products intended for mobile use are specifically e
exempted for Class A/Class B compliance. That is why the DVD or CD player at home will have an FCC logo, but the one in your car will not.
It doesn't need one because it is exempt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wonder if Surefire has gone to the trouble and added expense, to get the FCC approval, so that pilots and airline passengers won't have a problem with using and or carrying the A2 on aircraft?
oldgrandpajack

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
oldgrandpajack said:
...The big change is the long pocket clip. It is the same one the E2O has...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the standard M2 clip which Surefire appropriated for the E2O. You can order them separately and I've retrofitted all my E2E bodies, including my L4's.

Brightnorm

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't a good reason for the FCC label. The product is exempt from Part 15 standards. You can certify compliance if you want, but nobody is going to care.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cost of Class A approval for this product is on the order of $500. You take it out to an FCC certified range, they verify Class A compliance in about 20 minutes for a device like this, and that is that. For this product it probably wasn't even very hard. It is things like computers, CRT's, and switching power supplies that are tough...

FCC compliance has little to do with aircraft safety, and the airline and the TSA could care less. As far as the airline is concerned, it is either an approved device or it isn't, and the FCC isn't part of that approval process.

Fortunate all laptops sold in the USA must be class B devices,and that makes the airline decision much easier, since class B sets very low limits on emissions. If you built a laptop that only ran on disposable batteries, you could probably avoid certification, but if it plugs into the wall, it must pass FCC A, and if for residential use, must be class B. Either way, the testing requirement is that it must meet the standard in normal operation, with all devices it would normally connect to operating. so in effect the AC adapter forces laptops to be class B.