NEXTORCH

Thread: World's most powerful flashlight and bike headlights

Default World's most powerful flashlight and bike headlights

I don't usually post unless I feel it would be of interest. Here goes.

My latest project - 3 months from conception to final video and stills off to the agents to catch the Xmas run.

Bike light 1800W. 100,000 lumens 18 x 100W LEDs.

(Front 12 x 100W white, one each red, blue and green LEDs, Rear one each red, blue and green LEDs)

Flashlight for 90,000 lumens. Uses same front array as the bike.

Cost including media $8000.

Should be visible from International Space Station at mag -2.5 (sim to Jupiter)

Guinness applied for.

TDU

Default Re: World's most powerful flashlight and bike headlights

Shame none of that was of interest....
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord Acton, 1887.
    See absolute corruption at http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/

Flashaholic*

Indeed. This seems crazy, any more details, pictures etc? How on earth is that cooled, water?

Flashaholic

I would love to see this!

Yes, more info please. Do remember that CPF was down for a LONG time. I'm glad you bumped it back up....... VERY interesting indeed .

Flashaholic*

Hey, thanks for those links TyJo! WOW, that's just amazing. I was impressed not only with the lights and such, but his explanation of the whole thing (I wish I understood it better).

In any case, a worthy read for those interested in portable LED lighting taken to the extreme. Well done Tesladownunder, and thanks for sharing that with us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tesladownunder View Post
    I don't usually post unless I feel it would be of interest. Here goes.

My latest project - 3 months from conception to final video and stills off to the agents to catch the Xmas run.

Bike light 1800W. 100,000 lumens 18 x 100W LEDs.

(Front 12 x 100W white, one each red, blue and green LEDs, Rear one each red, blue and green LEDs)

Flashlight for 90,000 lumens. Uses same front array as the bike.

Cost including media $8000.

Should be visible from International Space Station at mag -2.5 (sim to Jupiter)

Guinness applied for.

TDU
    This was certainly a mammoth undertaking. It's always nice to see people go majorly overboard with a build. The Databank is a prime example. But I don't see how this light could be classified as a flashlight so making the claim this is the "World's most powerful flashlight" is quite misleading and incorrect.

On your website you stated this.

"I have now applied to the Guinness World Records as world's most powerful flashlight. However on further perusal, there is no online reference to any flashlight as being brightest or most powerful. Why might this be?"

I was, in the not too distant past, part of a team(lead by Data) to help the GBWR formulate a set of standards for testing flashlights for inclusion in the GBWR. There is more to it than you may think. They ended up giving up on the whole idea when they realized they would have to have an integrating sphere to test lights in. These are extremely expensive and the GBWR have no intention of investing that much. One of the GBWR employees is a flashaholic himself so it's not like there aren't people there who would want to do something like this but it is just not feasible at this time. Therefore do not expect your light to get accepted in the book. Sorry.

Time to call the Myth Busters they test it all
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

It's really an extreme LED light but not really a flashlight or bikelight. At last not really the brightest bike light, too. When you have a look at my latest HID project (1,5 kW bike light with Osram HTI 1500W/D7/60) with (nominal) 165000lm lamp output you see there are brighter lights what are much more compact and at last the HID lamp costs less than 200$ (I bought two of them new on ebay for 30 Euro per piece). With battery (29,6V/10Ah 25C LiPo; 250 Euro) and ballast (DIY) it was less than 700 Euro for me.
    But I really want to demonstrate respect to your project, it was really a hard work!

Here some pictures in the german IBC: http://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/36420

regards

Thomas