Profoundly confused!

Jeritall

Enlightened
For some reason I have accumulated several MiniMag AAs and I would like to try my hand at modifing some of them. After reading countless posts and endless threads about micro pucks, lexeons, Mad Max, tail swithches, clickies, sandwiches, turboheads, spatter, McLux kits, pills, dimmers, glow rings Bad Boys, ad infinitum in this forum, I am profoundly confused. Where does a "Newby" begin???

If you had only 1 MiniMag, how would you modify it and what would be the expected performance results?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
I personally would go for a Q3J BB400 Sandwich. Decent running time with NiMh's and very nice output. If the N cell light from lambda ends up being too expensive then I'll probably get one of these actually.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what are you looking to achieve? Maximum brightness without consideration to runtime (Madmax+ ), or long even runtime but not so bright (Newbeam) or something in between? Or like LukeK reccomended a BB400 Q3J, decent runtime with good brightness.

What experience do you have with LED's so far? Have you seen a luxeon? Do you have any 5mm LED lights? Are you worried about price?

Sorry about all the questions, but it's easier to narrow it down this way.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
I know how you feel. It won't be so bad once you get used to it all. If I had only one AA, I would get either a BB or MM with the best HD Luxeon you can. Add a Kroll tailswitch and mineral glass lens as well.

Expected results: WOW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

You'll get about the same runtime as with the stock bulb, however you'll use the batteries much more efficiently and completely, and you'll get a lot more light as a result. The BB will give pretty much constant light for the life of the batteries, then drop into a "moon mode" which is much dimmer. The MM will initially start out brighter than the BB, and will slowly decrease in brightness as the batteries fail, much like the regular bulb. I happen to prefer the MM over the BB. More info can be found at the Sandwich Shoppe forum.

*edit*
While typing, two others beat me to the draw!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
I also like the BB400Q3J module, but ya know, it really doesn't measure up to the performance of the much smaller and highly engineered Arc LS. And an LSL can be bought for $65, compared to the cost to do a Q3 BB sandwich mod right (adding the Kroll and the glass lens) it isn't that much more. And in my experience, I think Arc has better color uniformity in their LEDs, even their Standards vs. a BB Q3.

So for MiniMag mods, I cast my vote for the humble Opalec NewBeam module. I think it's a great value for its intended purpose. Very long regulated runtime, decent brightness, usable for dark-adjusted eyes, and the best feature around -- the little red LED that lights up when the batteries are too low to maintain regulation. How cool is that? I purposely keep some dying AAs around just to show that off to people. Why doesn't everybody incorporate it?

I have several of 'em, all with Krolls, glass lens, and an epoxied-on head.

I also like to paint white the replacement bezel that comes with the Opalec. Seems to brighten up the beam (marginally) and it improves the aestetics too.

Good luck,

Dave

Jeritall

Enlightened
Mr. Tree. I intend to try out a number of modifications just to learn what they can do. My first car was a 29 Chevy and I intended to make a hot rod out of it. In trying to do that I learned alot about 29 Chevies, but mine never became a hot rod.It sure turned out to be a good running car though. I suspect it will be about the same with flashlights.

Money is no object unless my wife finds out what I'm doing with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, gotcha. Guess I got used to the "what's the perfect light for me" type of posts and didn't get the meaning of your post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif So for my professional advice... What they said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guess you're not the only one confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

danielo_d

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jeritall said:

Money is no object unless my wife finds out what I'm doing with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean! Boy, do I know what you mean!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:So for MiniMag mods, I cast my vote for the humble Opalec NewBeam module.
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]I gotta go with you on this one.
Dave, nice idea on painting the bezel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jeritall

Enlightened
I ordered the Opalec. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifWhere can I buy the tail switch(Kroll)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

(Hmmmm.Wonder what I can do to my old Boy Scout flashlight)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jeritall said:
I ordered the Opalec. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifWhere can I buy the tail switch(Kroll)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck, now that you've started down that slippery slope. You'll enjoy the Opalec. I recommend that you check out Flashlight King (flashlightking.com) where you can buy MiniMag parts and accessories (including the Opalec, lenses, Krolls, O rings, etc) for GREAT prices. You can spec out a complete MM with everything you need for one shipping charge. Unfortunately they do not carry the dat2zip sandwiches, but at a minimum its fun to browse the site.

Dave

Jeritall

Enlightened
Dropped in the opalec,added a new lens and a kroll, ( the black switch on the end of the silver MM looks kind of spiffy), fresh batteries and Im tickled with the improvement in the light. In honor of the Oakland Raiders, next week I'm going to put a Mad Max in a black MM.The team and the flashlight both need improvement.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Jeritall
Thanks for the update. You like the New Beam, your going to
love the MadMax. Ya done good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif