Which Batteries for the LF2XT ?

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Hey All,

I've just bought a couple of Liteflus LF2XT from the Marketplace and I just wanted to know what the best 10440 Li-ion batteries other owners are using. I realise that I can also use NiMh in this light but at this stage I'm looking to use 10440's 'coz I already have a Pila charger. I know that AW and Redilast are well respected and I've only been using AW protected batteries (18650/19670/16340). I know that protected cells are the way to go for safety reasons but it looks like AW don't offer protected 10440 batteries. My research has discovered that Trustfire are the only ones that makes protected 10440's. My questions are:

1) will the Trustfire protected 10440 fit in the LF2XT ?

2) is the unprotected AW the better option 'coz the LF2XT has over-discharge protection anyway ?

3) has anyone had any issues with the Trustfire cells ?

4) any problems using either of these cells with the Pila ? I gather I'll have to use some spacer. Where can I purchase these spacers if I need 'em ?

5) Is there anything else I need to consider ?

I apologize if these questions have already been asked and answered. If it has, please direct me to the appropriate thread. I've done a bit of research but I haven't been able to come up with the answers to my questions.

edit: Ive just read the following warning in the Pila IBC Charger Compendium thread and I have another question: *Don't run 10440 cells below 3.8 volts resting. The Pila IBC has a maximum charge rate of 600 mA, and the 10440 cells are about 320 mAh, so approaching 2C on a fully empty cell, but if the cell is around half full, the voltage will quickly climb to 4.2 volts and then the current will quickly drop off. Don't charge an empty (3.3 volts resting) 10440 cell with it, but if it is closer to half empty, it is pushing things, but still will be reasonably safe. The 10440 cell suffer a loss of cycle life by doing this, but that may be acceptable to some.

6) In light of the above-mentioned warning, is it a better idea to purchase a separate charger specifically for the 10440's ?

I was hoping to use the Pila instead of purchasing another charger. I guess if another charger is required it brings back into play Eneloops and other NiMh rechargeables.

Thanks in advance,

Belstaff.