P M6 Sheath Question.

E

EchoSierraTwo

I feel silly for asking but the sheath has plastic inserts. Am I to leave them in the sheath? I assume if the answer is yes, it protects the M6 and ensures the sheath retains its shape. If no, is it for shipping puposes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sotyakr

Enlightened
I'd guess the insert is in there to prevent turning the light on in the holster by unintentional pressure on the momentary switch.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great little Sheath for LE applications. Wish they offered a civi-friendly sheath; without stiffness and with velcro instead of a snap.

I agree with Lightchucker.
A-6

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhm, I removed the plastic liner/sheaths?

Oh well. Still works. I leave the light in the holster 95% of the time.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I was told that the plastic ring is to keep the light from being turned on while in the holster.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Atomic6 said:
Great little Sheath for LE applications. Wish they offered a civi-friendly sheath; without stiffness and with velcro instead of a snap...

[/ QUOTE ]

The PM6 holster is excellent but bulky. Here are a couple of other approaches to holstering that are much smaller and more compact.

Using a standard SureFire 6P holster, a perfect fit can be achieved by cutting the stitches at the holster bottom, thus enlarging the aperture enough to accommodate theM6's tail button.
Another option uses Streamlight's Scorpion holster. Create a hole in the holster bottom large enough to allow the tail button and approx. 1/8th inch of the tail bottom to protrude. This will permit full flap closure. For extra security tuck in several stitches at the top right or left corner of the holster front, where it joins the holster back. You can easily custom-adjust degree of tightness. Slight tail protrusion in either holster should pose no problems, especially since Pelican has recently addressed the tailcap closure issue and it can be now be safely locked out.

Brightnorm

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ring on the bottom is shaped to cradle the switch so that it isn't accidentally activated. The inner plastic lining prevents wear on the sheath from the knurling and allows smoother insertion/removal.

This sheath also happens to fit an A2 very nicely.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Just received my new PM6 which must be from the current production run. The new holster is quite bit slimmer, and it has the full length sleeve which my "old" one didn't have.

ramptapult

Newly Enlightened
I just received M6 w/ the slim sheath and Ive noticed that the sheath is 3/4" to an inch longer than it has to be. I think the plastic sheath is there to maintain shape even if the flashlight doesnt fill up the entire length of the sheath. I wish Pelican would have made the sheath as short as possible thus more pocketable/packable for me. Maybe the sheath is for made for multiple Pelican lights. Also my sheath is Extremely snug. While returning the M6 to its sheath, two hands are needed, especially over the knurling. I understand having a snug stable fit but this seems a little excessive, maybe it will "relax" w/ use. Anyone have suggestions for a replacement sheath? Just some thoughts. Thanks Scott

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ramptapult said:
... Anyone have suggestions for a replacement sheath? Just some thoughts. Thanks Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

See my post above.

Brightnorm

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plastic ring in the bottom of my PM-6 sheath is a clever idea for keeping the pushbutton from being depressed. It looks like a PVC pipe, threaded endcap. The center of which has been drilled out (or it was manufactured this way) to clear the pushbutton on the end of the M6.

It also protects the soft rubber pushbutton cover from abrasion by the coarse, nylon cordura.

The kydex-like, thin plastic "tunnel" probably serves more than one function and is easy to remove or modify, according to one's preference. I left it in till I make up my mind.

The sheath IS a very snug fit, even if the flap comes unsnapped and you stand on your head, the light ain't goin' anywhere.
BC

E

EchoSierraTwo

Yeah I decided to take the sleeve out. It was more of a hinderence above all. since the sheath is so snug it would come out with the light (several times). I tossed it in the garbage can on the way to my office. I do not fear wearing down the sheath with the knurling on the M6. it is coarse but I do not think enought to cause a problem. As far as it being my EDC? While it is a great light, I think it would better serve me as a back up (in my ruk sack) or as part of my family B.O.B.