PM6s with stripped threading. Aaarggghhh....

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened
I have now had two brand spanking new Pelican M6 lights. Both have bulb assemblies that have threading which is so badly machined that the first stripped trying to get a new bulb in and the second stripped just trying to get a bulb out (the first bulb from the factory).

These are lights right of the box. Nothing special. No mods.

Both lights emitted photons, but unless these lights with replaceable bulbs are really replaceable (both of mine were not) they are not worth much. A lifetime guarantee which basically consists of sending the entire flashlight back to Pelican for replacement at every burned out lamp is not my idea of a reliable light which I can repair in the field.

Aaaaahhhhgggggrrrrrrr.... Foam...

OK, now it is of my system (sort of). Has anyone else had similar difficulties?

Any suggestions once these turkeys get replaced by Pelican to prevent this from occuring in the first place? Magic incantations? Honestly, if I see another like this, the PM6 lights will get no more time from me.

I know, I know... You get what you pay for and these sure ain't Surefire lights.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Clean the root of the threads with a pic or bent paper clip and use some oil or lube. Work the threads back and forth and use some tissue or paper towels to remove the oil with particles. Re lube.

Yes, I have seen this.

- Don

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh Huh. I just spent a good deal of time this evening dealing with the light module threads on a Silver PM6. I won the battle though. As Don suggested, Work some oil down in there and get the bulb assembly loosened and out. Clean the threads, re-lube and run the old module in and out a few times; cleaning in between operations. Once the threads are broken in, cleaned and lubed your problems are minimal. Then put the new one in there. I had good luck using anti-Seize grease on the threads. The Pelican M6 manufacturing process needs some tweakin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Finer threads? Better taps? Better grade of Aluminum? Thorough cleanings in the pre-assembly steps? Hope they figure it out.

Thegonagle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Atomic6 said:
Finer threads? Better taps? Better grade of Aluminum? Thorough cleanings in the pre-assembly steps? Hope they figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they're reading. I know Peter from Arc reads these forums, but are any other flashlight mfgrs. known to?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had an arc AAA that nearly had its threads stripped due to a lack of lube...i basically washed it with soap and forgot to relube it. after adding some lube it worked as good as new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys. Somehow, I knew that was what I needed to do. In fact, it was what I was trying to do with the second PM6. Of course, it does no good when I can not even get the thing out in the first place.

Fortunately, the people at Pelican are very nice folks. Perhaps my two replacements will be from the newer lots which are probably a bit better done.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

jbk

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could the problem with the threads simply be one of the reasons for the lower price of this light?

Yes? No? Maybe?

GregR

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For what it's worth, Pelican is aware of this problem and have implemented measures to correct it.

- Don