What do people do with their lasers?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
are they just fun to beam about the place,

or is there a 'real world' use for them?

i did search... no luck

Emma_Alan

Banned
Green laser pointers can also be used for amateur astronomy. On a moonless night, a green laser pointer beam can often be clearly seen, allowing someone to accurately point out individual stars to others nearby. Also, these green laser pointers are commonly used by astronomers worldwide at star parties or for conducting lectures in astronomy. Astronomy laser pointers are also commonly mounted on telescopes in order to align the telescope to a specific star or location. Laser alignment is much easier than aligning through using the eyepiece

dankyball

Banned
Green laser pointers can also be used for amateur astronomy. On a moonless night, a green laser pointer beam can often be clearly seen, allowing someone to accurately point out individual stars to others nearby. Also, these green laser pointers are commonly used by astronomers worldwide at star parties or for conducting lectures in astronomy. Astronomy laser pointers are also commonly mounted on telescopes in order to align the telescope to a specific star or location. Laser alignment is much easier than aligning through using the eyepiece
Is it forbidden by American government?
Just thinking..

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is illegal to point a laser in airspace that a plane will fly through. Not that there are easily discernible roads in the sky that planes will take. I think the law is just vague enough so that if you are caught and you look like a punk kid troublemaker, you can be arrested and fined, while if you show that you are well educated and know what you are doing and aware of the dangers, that they can let you off with a warning or something.

Just be aware of planes, and be careful of tunnel vision when looking through the scope with the laser pointer on, and draw a circle around the star you're star pointing, rather than directly at it. Just in case. Your fellow observers will know what object you are referencing, and even if it IS a plane with marker lights out and strobes non-functional, the laser will not have hit it.

Dr.Viper

Newly Enlightened
I use mine occasionally to burn stuff.. I get that temptation when i remember those YouTube videos. My cat finds it interesting and gives a chase, so i sometimes tag with it. But, the 200 mW san scar the wall paints if held for some long time....

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I have 15 home built lasers ranging from 200mW up to 2W power I use them to cut stuff while on my Mill they cut certian materials very cleanly and yes I use them to burn stuff as well but mostly as tools.

Joe

Illum

Flashaholic
Green laser pointers can also be used for amateur astronomy. On a moonless night, a green laser pointer beam can often be clearly seen, allowing someone to accurately point out individual stars to others nearby.

Amateur astro here, I can tell from experience anything over 35mw [532nm] is too bright. Some of the deep sky objects are wiped out from some people pointing 100mw [532nm] at them. The best ones I've used is around 35mw, no...it doesn't burn things, it is what it is, a star pointer.

It is illegal to point a laser in airspace that a plane will fly through. Not that there are easily discernible roads in the sky that planes will take.

Over here pointing lasers at aircraft is considered a felony over a misdemeanor, the best way to look for an aircraft is the strobe beacon the the fuselage [may have strobes top and bottom] as well as navigational lights not unlike that of a maritime vessel.

When in doubt, refrain from pointing it out.:ohgeez:Lets face it, people like to see their lasers reflect light off of stuff. I wrapped a balloon in aluminum foil to demonstrate the range of a laser before, it was a crowd pleaser.
The way technology shifts, eventually there'll come a day when "I didn't think it would cause so much carnage" applies:
s42qzn.jpg

Last edited:

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
Like others have said.....my dog loves to chase the low powered one. The 1100mw one I just ot put together today. I have used it to burn wood, paper, cardboard, point at the sky, and impress myself. Tomorrow I plan to use it to light a bn fire....maybe.

I plan to do some science with my kids with it also. I got two pairs of gasses with it to protect both of our eyes.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one on a keychain that was made by someone here, focuses & runs on 3 coin batteries. I work in industry & use it for tracing pipe or pointing out valves etc, up in the pipe rack. Green lasers work great for that too. The green laser I have is NOT for presentations - too bright. But if you happen to be in Argentina, on top of a hotel after about 2 lbs of GREAT beef, lots of great wine & now you are enjoying Cuban cigars (I'm not a cigar smoker - but these were pretty darn good) & some Jack Daniels - they are GREAT FUN. Shining on buildings far away, or down into apartments. Fond memories.

CoherentDrew

Newly Enlightened
They're fun to build and modify, just like flashlights. Obviously pointing things out. Most often just for showing off, most people still havn't seen blue (445nm) Blu-ray (405nm) or especially yellow (589nm) in a handheld at least. Pest control? I can take down a boxelder bug from across the room with about a half watt of 405:shrug:.If it makes photons, I like it

Kenom

Enlightened
I use mine to make laser light shows for entertainment purposes. I love to put on a good laser light show on the 4th to go with the fireworks.
P1090785.jpg

I also use mine for astronomy.

I also use mine for playing with my dog/cat

I also use mine for engraving objects or wood burning art. *(haven't got any pictures to show sorry)
DSC00509.jpg

I also use mine to cut out plastic parts without making a mess.

I also use mine for rescue option if I get lost in the woods, I can flash a search plane or helicopter to let them know where I am.

I also use mine to start a fire at my camp site if my matches are wet.

I also use mine for showing a customer exactly what is inside a view of a surveillance camera by using a line generator to create a specific line to show feild of view.

I also use mine so that other people can point out what they are talking about.

Larbo

Enlightened
Every now and then I bring out my 50mw green to shine in the house (carefully) or outside on the ground. Being a few miles from a county airport I dont shine it up in the trees or sky as I dont want 3 fire trucks, 6 cop cars,the fbi and faa invading my street along with a njsp helocopter overhead.

blub

Enlightened
I use mine camping to wave around in the campfire smoke and up at the sky is about all, green is good because it's visible in the daylight....after that I just put it away because I have so many kids and adults asking to play with it and blinding each other no matter how many times you tell them to stop.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
I use mine a lot to point to things on the screen when I'm teaching classes at work (I teach quite a bit). I also use it in the plant to point out mechanical structures in elevated locations. At home, I use them to entertain the cats!

cooldog

Newly Enlightened
I just got a cheap (20USD) green pointer off Amazon claiming 100 mW -- no idea if that's true. Great amusement making patterns, linking stars in constellations, doing eerie beams down trails. Great dog walking toy thought he's not really interested (a good thing). I don't think its powerful enough to burn anything, but its a lot of fun to play with. Always try to do an air traffic check before I point it up.