Kitchen Knives, suggestions pls.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Time to retire my 8 year old Wusthoff Grand Prix's.

In the market for some new kitchen knives. Can be a whole set or just a chefs knife and a smaller one.

Price limit: $350

Any input appreciated.

lovecpf :thanks:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I realize that this thread was generated almost a year ago, but here's a few kitchen knives I have in regards to the Chef's/Cook's/French:

ChefsFour.jpg

Top to bottom of the posted picture above:

Global
Wusthof
Shun
F ****

And their respective weight:

GlobalWeighIn.jpg

WusthofIkonWeighIn.jpg

ShunWeighIn.jpg

FDick1905WeighIn.jpg

TheEpeter

Newly Enlightened
Hurray to Zombie Threads!! Haha

I have a set of Wusthof's that we got as a wedding gift and the Chef's Knife is my Go To blade in the set. It almost feels weird when I hold other Chef's knives...sort of like cheating on it :)

gnicky11

Newly Enlightened
The cooking magazine that I subscribe to recommends the following as their best-buy a' la cart knife set (they do not recommend any of the pre-packaged sets):

Victorinox Fibrox Paring Knife, 3 1/4 inch -- $4.95

Victorinox Fibrox 8" Chef Knife, 3 1/4 inch -- $29.95

Victorinox 10 14" curved blade bred Knife, black Fibrox handle -- $44.95

Victorinox Fibrox 12" Granton Edge Slicing Knife -- $49.95

Victorinox Fibrox 6" straight boning knife: flexible -- $19.95

Bodium Bistro Universal Knife Block -- $44.95

J.A. Henckels International Kitchen Shears - Take Apart -- $14.95

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious as to why you feel that it's time to retire the Wusthof set. Is there something that you feel has gone wrong with them or do you just want a change? I've used my Wusthof knives for 20 years or so and have never been disappointed. As for myself, I'd be hard pressed to consider getting something else.

Shun are fine knives as well and the Victorinox are both a bargain and good working knives.

ganymede

Enlightened
Great thread! I am actually looking at some kitchen knives too, currently looking at Hattori HD, Hattori KF Special and also a few Masamoto.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
What about Cutco? I just broke one of the cheapo knives my wedding cutting some cheese. Thinking about also making an investment on some culinary tools.

drgnclwk

Newly Enlightened
From what I've read about cutco, I'd say the consensus is avoid it, especially after looking at the price range of cutco products compared to other options in the same range.

I really liked using the shun ken onion chef's knife, the ergonomics are great.

gdwtvb

Newly Enlightened
I love our Global knives. Many of the smaller ones have handles that are a little too small for my large hands for extended use. But the chef's knife...virtually the only one I ever really use, is perfect. Quick easy to sharpen, and being one piece, clean up is a snap. My wife only uses the smaller paring type knives no matter what she cuts, and wouldn't trade them for anything. It took a good bit of looking to find a set we could both agree on. I liked the Shun knives too but she didn't like the handles on those.

Grizz

foxtrot

Newly Enlightened
FWIW I got an 8" chef knife from cutco from my in-laws and I love it. Its the first knife I grab for any task. My in-laws have the whole cutco set which from what I understand is pretty expensive. I've never used another professional knife though so my comparison is going to be to inexpensive department store knives.

badgerking

Newly Enlightened
I have had Cutco knives for nearly 20 years, and have even taken advantage of shipping the serrated ones back for resharpening. I sharpen the straightedge models myself and they take a good edge that seems to last from one Thanksgiving to the next. I've got a set with eight table knives (modified steak knife with their serrated edges), butcher knife, french chef knife, paring, some kind of spatula knife with a sharpened, serrated edge and a bread knife. Has a serving and a carving fork too. I think it was called the galley set or something like that when I bought them.

I am very happy with them and would buy them again. Of course, they are made in the United States and that's a big deal to me.... FWIW.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thread that's back from the dead. Again.

To all:

The brand of knives you use is like the make of the car you drive -- it depends on how you use them and what feels good to you. Are you going to slice bread and cut a steak or are you going to dress game? Will you be trimming many, many pounds of prime rib every night or just cutting the crusts off of Junior's sandwich?

For those who cook a lot or make their living at it versus the average use in the kitchen at home it's a lot like the first time you get to drive a really fine automobile. Everything after that won't feel as good. While you don't need a Ferrari for grocery shopping a Yugo won't make it with the opera crowd and a Bently won't be what you need for a ton or two of crushed stone. It's what you need and what is going to feel right for the task. Hopefully you make the right choice and the knives last a lifetime or more.

That's why for some Cutco is fine for the task and others need Wusthof, Shun, or any of a number of other brands to do more demanding work.

For PSM:

What did you get?