Home Made 8AA to 2D Batt Holder.

jtice

Flashaholic
Some of you might have seen the 4AA to 1D batt holder I made before.

Well, heres the 8AA to 2D batt holder. Not any prettier than the 4AA version /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif but, it works.

It will be used with 2 dummy cells to drive a 5W in a M*g.

Its basically just like the 4AA holder, it was made from a Radio Shack 8AA holder. It had to be rounded out, and shaved down ALOT. Originally the holder is designed to hold the batts apart, and from touching each other, well, 4AA's side by side, wont fit in a M*g that way. So, pretty much all the middle has to be removed from the holder, to allow the batts to press right up next to each other.

Click HERE for pics of the 4AA holder.
Original 4AA batt holder thread.

[EDIT] Just measured the resistance on my holder. The weakest link, as far as resistance, is where the the first batt connector, goes to a wire, that runs down the length of the holder, to the negitive washer plate at teh bottom. Resistance through this part= 0.20 Ohms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif This was my main reason for making this holder. I heard the resistance in Elektrolumesn 3 to D holders was really high.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nice job ticey! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

looks sexy too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like the Radio Shack 8AA ? I wound up building mine while getting impatient for the Electrolumens holders... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And having seen those new holders I'm not certain they'ed work in my Mag mods as I cannot see any discernable + nipple on the holder.

8aa.jpg

This photo was taken in a mirror as I shot this back when many folks said this wouldn't work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice -

The fact that your resistance returns are excellent is a thing of beauty. I like the big ars negative plug. The positive spring begs me to ask: Does this replace the 2D Mug positive contact spring? If not, have you considered the caveat of the two springs becoming entwined due to end cap spinning? I know, build anything and all the least skilled neighborhood guys will gather around to tell you how to do it better.

Nice solution. I think many of the Modders here, including the senior Modders, began building things because they wanted something to their specs. It looks like this holder met your specs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Icebreak... yes I thought about those two springs getting caught on each other. Ive done a few test,,, shaking, jerking, twisting a bit, its been fine.
I wouldn't sit there and try screwing the batt pack in lol,,, but it seems to working out just fine.

Only one problem with this method... its HELL to load the batts in. Just when you have all of them in, they try all popping out. lol
After you get the hang of it, and the right order, its not too bad.

jtice

Flashaholic
Slick...
Yes its the same holder you used.

How did you end up making the pos. adn neg. ends?
Have a pic?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I wouldn't sit there and try screwing the batt pack in...

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jtice,

Very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I remember being impressed when I first saw your 4 AA to D adapter. I appreciate your sharing this one with us. Those of us working with very high current incandescent mods can appreciate any fixtures that have low resistance.

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Ticey. I just wish my Powerex 2Ah AAs would fit in a 4X cross. Alas, they are too beefy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wilkey

jtice

Flashaholic
Ginseng.
Yea, I have the same problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
My Duracells BARELY fit. I am getting a lathe in November, and will be boring out the mag so it will allow for the rechargables.

Dont you just HATE when you need just one more mm?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lathe? Wow, everybody's having fun except me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jtice,

Maybe, when you get your lathe, you could set up a set-up to hone out those 2Ds and 3Ds for us for a fee. That would be sweet.

Paul

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about make a 12AA holder for a 3D mag, with 2x 6AA's in series, so 2 sets of 6'aa's for double runtime!....

jtice

Flashaholic
Paul.. do you mean to bore out the mags? So they can except 4aa Rechargables?
Yes, I can do that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jtice -- You might be able to help a lot of people. How practical it would be, would depend on the time and expense to do that. For example, if you had orders to do 10 of them, how much time would that take, and what would be the expenses in cutting bits and other stuff?

Dang it! I'd like to have a lathe. They are fun. But if I got one, nothing else would get done around here.

Paul

jtice

Flashaholic
Yea, all that will have to be taken into acount.
Even with these holders, some ppl would like to have one made, but, it takes me SOOOOo long to do one, I would have to charge a good bit, and then its not really worth it to them.

I cant wait to get my lathe, although I know I will end up like Roth, spending all my time doing other ppl's projects. hehe

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
see ticey, people are requesting things before you even have your lathe!
i told you not to tell anyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif