Unique Titanium
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Quality AA to D Cell Adapter?

Default Re: Best Quality AA to D Cell Adapter?

I agree as well.

Thanks for the gathered info guys. I have been searching all over the net for AA adapters and getting stumped trying to find the 3AA to 1D parralel adapters. Then I found a picture of the 4AA to 1D parralel adapter and couldn't find any. It was driving me nuts. I'll likely just get the 2AA to 1D adapters instead. I was wanting to use my AA eneloops in a 3D Rayovac "Xtreme" 300 lumen lantern.

I do wish some one would offer an economical 4AA parralel adapter that worked. I'd buy some in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Variable556 View Post
    Thanks for the gathered info guys. I have been searching all over the net for AA adapters and getting stumped trying to find the 3AA to 1D parralel adapters. Then I found a picture of the 4AA to 1D parralel adapter and couldn't find any. It was driving me nuts. I'll likely just get the 2AA to 1D adapters instead. I was wanting to use my AA eneloops in a 3D Rayovac "Xtreme" 300 lumen lantern.

I do wish some one would offer an economical 4AA parralel adapter that worked. I'd buy some in a heartbeat!
    I don't think you will ever see such a thing. I do recall a company now selling a parallel 3AA>D adapters for about $10 each they want around $10 plus shipping I think and at first glance they look good enough but the $10 price is the kicker as 4 of them may cost $45 to $50 with shipping added in.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

you don't need an adapter to run 4AA parallel, in maglite or most other lights, 4 AA cells fit in unbored maglite and other lights.
    i have done it few times before, works great, the only downside, when you take cells out you'll have to charge them one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I don't think you will ever see such a thing. I do recall a company now selling a parallel 3AA>D adapters for about $10 each they want around $10 plus shipping I think and at first glance they look good enough but the $10 price is the kicker as 4 of them may cost $45 to $50 with shipping added in.
    Please post a link to where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    Please post a link to where they are.
    I was wrong about the price it is $15
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/titan...r-adapter.html
    IMO is just too much for an adapter but they do look like decent quality.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Ugg WHY is it so expensive!? The description doesn't even say made from the best grade metals to minimize resistance, or anything justifying the price tag. I MIGHT pay $10 for it, but that would be my max.

I bet if you cut open an old used alkaline D battery and removed the innards,
    you could just shove in some AA's and as long as they touch metal on the top
    and bottom, it would work.......yeah- not an elegant solution, but it would be
    cheap in a McGuyver kind of way, huh?
    When you die and go "into the light",
    don't complain about the tint!

Ugg WHY is it so expensive!? The description doesn't even say made from the best grade metals to minimize resistance, or anything justifying the price tag. I MIGHT pay $10 for it, but that would be my max.
    It looks better made by far than the Soshine 2AA parallel adapters which have metal contacts vs actual plated springs. I agree the price should be about $7 with shipping but I think sales of them at that price doesn't drive down prices.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4apple View Post
    I bet if you cut open an old used alkaline D battery and removed the innards,
    you could just shove in some AA's and as long as they touch metal on the top
    and bottom, it would work.......yeah- not an elegant solution, but it would be
    cheap in a McGuyver kind of way, huh?
    I made a cheap 4AA > D adapter from parts at a home improvement center. I used long nylon 1/4 in bolts and two large fender washers one acorn nut for the top and it works but is too long for some things and hard to get the batteries to line up and change them quickly. I had a piece of rubber cut from a bicycle tube to hold them together around the bolt. I should try and set up a drill press and drill some indentations to keep the batteries from sliding but I only use it for a 1D energizer led lantern running off 4 cheap nimh AAs making a 4800mah D cell

Now I'm thinking rubber bands and aluminum foil could be
    all that one needs. I will eventually ​try it.
    When you die and go "into the light",
    don't complain about the tint!

Unenlightened

Not sure if this thread is dead or not, but I just visited this site and it is now down to $9.95. Same price for either SERIES or PARALLEL. Price goes down for bulk buying. Plus shipping, though it was not that bad (like, $3 for super saver shipping for me).
    I found this thread searching for adapters for some conversion projects I am thinking of.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Rev_Joe View Post
    Not sure if this thread is dead or not, but I just visited this site and it is now down to $9.95. Same price for either SERIES or PARALLEL. Price goes down for bulk buying. Plus shipping, though it was not that bad (like, $3 for super saver shipping for me).
    I found this thread searching for adapters for some conversion projects I am thinking of.
    Just to let you know, $10 each for adaptors is MORE than just getting actual Tenergy Premium or Centura D cells. And that doesn't even count the cost of buying AA batteries (If you need to buy them). Given all the other pitfalls of adaptors (like resistance, reliability, AND lower capacity), I would seriously reconsider the adaptor route when you can buy a pair of Centura D cells for $16.99 at Fry's.
    Last edited by StorminMatt; 01-28-2014 at 03:07 PM.

These were mentioned on BLF last year at over twice the price. Just got them, and they seem like the holy grail - 3 parallel, solid construction, $2.30 each shipped in a 10 pack. Singles also available as well as yellow color from the same seller on the 'bay (fenggang18). Just search in his store for "parallel" and you will get the short list, he has a large inventory.

OK, we'll do it without a link. I figured since the thread already contained a link outside CPF proper to Battery Junction, it would be OK, but maybe not since they are members here, and the above seller, as far as I know, is not. Still a cinch to find with a couple of searches. PM me if you are interested and fail to find it.
    Last edited by Hondo; 05-16-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Remove link

Thanks. Not supposed to post links except to CPF member businesses but these look pretty decent and are certainly less expensive than the versions listed by Battery Junction who are a CPF member. Are the ends steel or plated brass which might be a better electrical conductor? I do wonder about the adapter internal and contact resistance at the inter cells contact points at high current levels as likely to see in a Fenix TK70 or similar stacked adapters application.

BTW the $9.95 price each for the BJ versions was apparently a sale price as they are back up to the old price.

Mr. magnet says the end plates and springs (of course) are all steel. No problems at around 2 amps in my 2-D lights. Maybe not good for higher current draws, but I mostly wanted them for 2-3 D LED Mag lights and my Rayovac 3-D lantern, so I think they will be fine for that. How much current does a TK70 draw?

Per HJKs review of the Fenix TK70 it draws 7.5 amps, 36 watts, in Turbo mode and just under 2 amps in High mode. Considerable current in Turbo which is why I doubt if it could even be run in Turbo mode for any length of time using alkaline batteries with their high internal resistance. I did order a set of the adapters as at the price they are hard to pass up. I have the yellow ones coming.

Flashaholic*

That's almost as much as a PAIR of Tenergy Centura D cells!

Flashaholic

The soshine ones don't really work to warn anyone wanting to purchase them. They're shorter than an actual D cell and dont make contact in three lights I've tried

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    The soshine ones don't really work to warn anyone wanting to purchase them. They're shorter than an actual D cell and dont make contact in three lights I've tried
    Thanks for the warning. As a hobbyist machinist I could make any spacers needed to get them to work in most applications but it would be a major annoyance. Do you have any accurate measurements as to how much too short they are? A totally stupid mistake on Soshine's part.

Flashaholic

Ok dimensionally they're actually just slightly longer. That being said they still don't work. You have to slap the back of the flashlight or shake it to get intermittent connection. Only works while you're hitting it. Not sure why as the cells make food contact inside and there is a positive nipple on them

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    Ok dimensionally they're actually just slightly longer. That being said they still don't work. You have to slap the back of the flashlight or shake it to get intermittent connection. Only works while you're hitting it. Not sure why as the cells make good contact inside and there is a positive nipple on them
    Interesting! I have a couple of what I suspect are the Soshines coming from Amazon so I will see what I can figure out. I do have a background in electronics, though now dated. The first computers I maintained in the Navy were vacuum tube, a pair of Univac 1103A systems.

I received the 3 AA in parallel to D cell Chinese adapters last night. IMO good quality for the price. AA Eneloops are at the maximum length the adapters can hold. I installed Eneloops in two of the adapters and put them in my Fenix TK50 light. It ran for 3 hours at maximum output with no problem though the batteries were almost fully discharged at that point and the beam dim. IMO if you prefer to primarily stick with AA rechargeable batteries these adapters are a viable method of using AA cells in lights intended for D cells. The same Ebay source has other battery adapters too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    These were mentioned on BLF last year at over twice the price. Just got them, and they seem like the holy grail - 3 parallel, solid construction, $2.30 each shipped in a 10 pack. Singles also available as well as yellow color from the same seller on the 'bay (fenggang18). Just search in his store for "parallel" and you will get the short list, he has a large inventory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richwouldnt View Post
    I received the 3 AA in parallel to D cell Chinese adapters last night.
    @Hondo / @Richwouldnt -- did you have those shipped to the US and did you have to pay any import duties / taxes / charges?
    FreeRangeCars.com | Only private-party car listings (used cars for sale by owner) | No dealers • No curbstoners • No duplicates

Quote Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    @Hondo / @Richwouldnt -- did you have those shipped to the US and did you have to pay any import duties / taxes / charges?
    Yes, to Michigan. No, just the $3 shipping, if memory serves.

I have never been charged duty on a China buy of any kind. As I recall the declared value has to be $200 or more before customs even begins to worry about import duties. MUCH more liberal in that respect than most of the world including the EEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Yes, to Michigan. No, just the $3 shipping, if memory serves.
    Ok, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Richwouldnt View Post
    I have never been charged duty on a China buy of any kind. As I recall the declared value has to be $200 or more before customs even begins to worry about import duties. MUCH more liberal in that respect than most of the world including the EEC.
    Oh, is that right? I don't think I've had something shipped from China / Hong Kong before and I've been fuzzy on how the import duties sitatuation would work. That'd be convenient if it's not even an issue under $200. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet (although I see @Richwouldnt in the thread), but in the BLF thread that I imagine @Hondo is referring to, there's a link to ones that look similar to the ebay ones @Hondo referenced, but at 1/2 the quantity (5) and about 1/2 the price. I guess I can't post a link here?
    FreeRangeCars.com | Only private-party car listings (used cars for sale by owner) | No dealers • No curbstoners • No duplicates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12