ArmyTek Predator XP-G R5 review with BEAMSHOTS and COMPARISON

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
I received this flashlights directly from ArmyTek for the review. It was shipped via Fedex courier and took only 4 days to arrive at my house. Faster than dhl for me :D

foto1m.jpg

-LED Cree XP-G (USA) is driven by 1.5A (R5 with 1C tint)

- Uses 2nd generation of LED drivers

- 3 types of current stabilization are selectable by user: full stabilization (FULL), simple semi-stabilization as for the buck driver (SEMI) and stepped stabilization (STEP).

- The real long duration and the flat runtimes with FULL stabilization for one 18650 Li-Ion battery at each mode against the standard buck drivers.

- The specially calculated long-range reflector intended for LED Cree XP-G (light beam with the angle of 5 degrees for the distances of 200 meters).

- The changeable quantity of modes and maximal tuning of them.

- The voltage supply selection, which allows using the batteries without protection board (PCB).

- Maximal mode without thermal runtime limits.

- The O-rings and threads are greased by Nyogel 760G. The tube 5ml is included.

- The Firefly mode 0.1 lumens with runtime up to 100 days.

- Battery options: 1x18650/2xcr123a/2x16340.

-Lenght 6.1" (155mm), head diameter 1.43" (36,5mm), body 1" (25,4mm), weight 4-23oz (120g).

-Made from T6061-T6 aluminium.

There are several other features that we will see later.

foto2yb.jpg

The flashlight arrives in a small cardboard box that immediately shows the colors of the torch: yellow and black. The box includes the torch with clip installed (which I have removed), 2 O-rings,a rubber button, a lanyard, a 5 ml tube of 760G NyoGel and a really well done holster.

foto3so.jpg

foto4gz.jpg

The flashlights is longer than the competitors because the head must accommodate a very deep reflector. Despite it's longer than the average, weighs 120g like the M20.

foto5nb.jpg

foto6g.jpg

CONSTRUCTION

I begin by saying that the coating of the torch is different from anything i have touched. ArmyTek declares a hardness of 400HV, which is the typical hardness of a good HAIII. Is almost rubbery to the touch, it's not as soft as a rubber, but provides excellent grip. The level of finish is excellent, with no missing dots. The thicknesses are similar to those of M20.

The flashlight consists in three parts: head, body and tailcap.

The bezel is made in stainless steel and the golden color is the result of a titanium coating. This coating is 10 times harder than HAIII. The thickness of steel is less than the M20. The lens is well recessed in the head and the distance between the lens and the end of the bezel is 1 cm. The lens is about 2mm thick (source ArmyTek).

foto7y.jpg

foto8ry.jpg

The smooth reflector is very wide and deep. It houses a LED Cree XP-G R5 1C. ArmyTek wanted to use S2 LED but it's difficult to find them with a good tint.

foto9il.jpg

foto10k.jpg

The head is long because of the reflector. The sophisticated design and the particular coating provide good grip despite the lack of knurling. Very good anti-roll design.

foto11g.jpg

The positive pole is flat, there are no springs. I do not have flat-top batteries but I guess they will work without problems.

foto12q.jpg

The threads have triangular section. At the head side they are more numerous to withstand the intense use of the twisty mechanism and they are not anodized because it passes current. At the rear threads are anodized and less numerous. The threads work perfectly and thanks to NyoGel i almost does not feel friction. Double O-rings on both sides. The size of O-rings is correct and not exaggerated like it happens with some flashlights. Threads and O-rings are well greased. The lettering is clear and precise.

foto13vh.jpg

foto14p.jpg

foto15k.jpg

On the negative pole there is a spring covered with a metal cap. There aren't holes that allow you to unscrew the metal ring to access the switch. You can access by unscrewing the golden ring of the tailcap.

foto16g.jpg

The tailcap ends with a SS ring with the same titanium coating of the bezel (and clip). The flashlight does not tailstand. The rubber button is relatively hard to operate. There's an hole to use a lanyard. Unscrewing the tailcap of half a turn will prevent accidental activation.

foto17q.jpg

foto18vi.jpg

I removed the clip after removing the two O-rings. At this point the space previously occupied by the clip remains empty. I will install a black o-ring.

Without the clip i feel the grip more comfortable. On the body there are four long and deep grooves which increase grip.

foto19b.jpg

The holster provided is of excellent workmanship. It has numerous loops that allow to carry it in vertical and horizontal position.

foto20s.jpg

ELECTRONIC ELEMENTS and little more

The circuit stabilizes the current, this means that the regulation is great with any type of battery, even with a single 18650. This is the only flashlight that lets you choose the type of current stabilization. There are three types of stabilization.

1-FULL: full stabilization with every type of battery.

2-SEMI: partial stabilization.

3-STEP: stepped stabilization.

With the FULL stabilization output remains constant, even at the highest level. With the SEMI stabilization, output will decrease gradually while with the STEP stabilization, output will decrease in steps, ie the output remains constant and decreases occasionally slighty.

If you choose SEMI or STEP stabilization, runtime will be greater, in particular at the highest level you earn about half an hour.

There is a temperature sensor, especially useful for preventing damage to the LED. In the event of overheating it leads the brightness at a lower level (7 lumens).

The heat is disposed of effectively. I used the flashlight for more than 15 minutes at the highest level and most of the flashlight (head and body part) is heated uniformly and moderately.

Predator can memorize the last level used in each line.

Finally, it is protected against reverse polarity, it is an electronic protection.

USER INTERFACE

Thanks to forward switch you can turn momentary on by half-pressing the button. If you have the auto memorizing activated, flashlight will turns on momentary at the memorized level.

Predator has two lines of modes. With tightened head you have access to the first line and with the loosened head you have access to the second line. To change the modes you have to loosen/tighten the head (quarter-turn) in the first line while you have to tighten/loosen in the second line. Predator is fully programmable. In the first line you can change the brightness of each level as you like but special levels are available only in the second line (strobo, sos, Firefly, beacon..).

In the second line of modes you have also access to the general setting menù. There are seven options to customize the flashlight.

Option 1- it allows to program the selected level. You can choose also special levels, ie sos, strobo, beacon and the Firefly mode. Talking about strobo, you can change the frequency from 1 to 50hz. Firefly mode is very usefull at night with its 0.1lm brightness and it has a truly long runtime, about 100days.

Option 2 - it allows you to reset the flashlight. You can choose between two different settings, Military and Outdoor. Military: FULL stabilization, first line 500lm-100lm-7lm second line: 15hz Strobe, Firefly. Outdoor: STEP stabilization, first line 65lm-350lm, second line: 15hz strobe-7lm-Firefly.

Option 3 - it lets you to choose how many levels you want in the first line. You can choose from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 10 levels of stabilized light.

Option 4 - it lets you to choose how many levels you want in the second line. You can choose from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 5 levels, including special levels.

Option 5 - it lets you to choose the power supply, or the type of batteries you use. 2XCR123A with a minimum voltage of 0V (complete discharge), this is the voltage selected by default. 1X18650 3.7V with a minimum voltage of 2.8V. 2X16340 3.7V with a minimum voltage of 5.6V. 1X18650 3.2V LiFePO4 with minimum voltage of 2.5V. With this feature you can also use non-protected batteries without any problems.

Option 6 - it allows you to choose the type of stabilization: SEMI-FULL-STEP, FULL stabilization is setted by default.

Option 7 - it allows you to enable or disable the memorizing of last used level for each line.

You can definitely customize the user interface as you prefer.

OUTPUT

Brightness

The LED XP-G R5 is driven at 1.5 Amps, then the brightness is really great. ArmyTek declares 500 led lumens thus here we have about 350 OTF lumens. Ceiling bounce test shows well Predator capabilities.

Tint

ArmyTek originally wanted to mount S2 LEDs but it was discarded as i said before because of the tint. Led R5 1C has a beautiful tint, exactly what one would expect from a Cool White. That is a cool white but it is not vitiated by blue / green / purple colors. I appreciate and agree with the choice of LED R5.

Beam pattern

THROW!
The smooth and deep reflector provides an exceptional throw . It clearly outthrows the Olight M20 R2 with smooth reflector, which is credited to about 13,000 lux at 1 meter. The Predator is real Thrower. The spot is small, defined and very intense and it has no hole in the middle. Around the spot there is a very bright corona. Then there is a spill of limited extension but very bright. The beam is characterized by some rings, they are visible on the white wall at close range. There are no dark areas or holes, and when i use the flashlight outdoor the beam is very pleasant. Imperfections are very limited, the beam is much cleaner than the M20 with smooth reflector (LED XR-E).

In particular, i find very usefull the corona around the spot because i can intensely illuminate a wide area at medium distance.

BEAMSHOTS

I decided to compare the Thrower of today (Predator) with a Thrower of yesterday (M20R2 smooth reflector). These flashlights have similar size and both have a good throw if we consider their size. The Predator uses a 2200mah AW18650 while the M20 uses 2xAW16340 (750mah) for best performance. Unfortunately it was raining and I could not do more photos. However the result is pretty good. White balance: daylight.

First set, 12 meters from the wall

murom20.jpg

muropredator.jpg

Second set, 24 meters from building

palazzom20.jpg

palazzopredator.jpg

Third set, 34 metri from the wall

monnezzam20.jpg

monnezzapredator.jpg

Throw in particular

throwm20.jpg

throwpredator.jpg

throwm202.jpg

throwpredator2.jpg

beam1.jpg

beam2.jpg

beam3.jpg

Fourth set, 15 meters from the wall

cantinam20.jpg

cantinapredator.jpg

Ceiling bounce test

ceilingm20.jpg

ceilingpredator.jpg

We have a special guest :D

ceilingm1x.jpg

CONCLUSION

The ArmyTek Predator is a concentration of power, throw and versatility. All this in a compact size after all. The user interface adapts to everyone needs and offers extreme personalization. The overall quality is excellent.

I particularly liked the perfect regulation with a 18650, few flashlights are capable of this. The price is high but I think it is justified in part by the research work behind this flashlight.

I suggest it to anyone who wants a cannon of light in the pocket, to those who like to customize the interface and to those who really want the most out of XP-G R5.

I don't recommend to lovers of floody lights and to those who always use the torch as a candle.

I promote this flashlight with honors and in my opinion it worths its price (149usd shipped).

This ArmyTek is truly a night Predator.

DLite57

Newly Enlightened
Placed my order for the G109.1 on 5/10. I got it for the $99 price, even though the amount for the US had been filled. A nice courtesy from Armytek, for which I thank them.
When placing my order, I didn't see any LED options or, any options, just a comment box. I went with the what I assume will be the XP-G R5 version? This light is very impressive & excellent review. After reading this one & some others, besides some videos (that Russian one is AWESOME!), I made the move. Asked for FedEx, now a waiting game. I'll post my impressions here, as I don't have all of the equipment to test as others do.
Oh, forgot. Check out "Officer Sheepdog's" YouTube video on how to make use of all of the settings. Simplifies a lot, but so much to learn!
Jeff

Last edited:

DLite57

Newly Enlightened
Got my Xeno G42 in 2 days, still waiting for my Predator. The G42? Blows away my TD15 & close to my V2 SST-50 @ about 200 yds.. Can't wait to get the Predator to compare all!
Jeff

Fatso

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that great review..

I especially like the car shots.. I actually do that often so it helped me decide on getting it.. Well at least when I save enough..

Can't wait to see your next review..

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Xeno G42 in 2 days, still waiting for my Predator. The G42? Blows away my TD15 & close to my V2 SST-50 @ about 200 yds.. Can't wait to get the Predator to compare all!
Jeff

G42, indeed, does out-throw both TD-15 and Predator. But the amount of flaws that it has means that it has replaced my TD-15 in EDC role. In fact, I prefer TD-15 over G42 in nearly all aspects.

Gettinintothis

Newly Enlightened
This is a dashing attempt to re-write the Predator instruction sheet which is so hard to read due to the language barrier.

UI (User Interface) on the ArmyTek Predator

General Information:

The Predator has two mode lines. Line one is the head screwed in tight, and line two is the head loosened just enough to break contact. The user selects the number of modes in the first line (up to ten) whereas line two consists of up to five modes. To switch modes in either line, briefly rotate the head back and forth one time. So to go from the first mode in line one, let's say it is set to Hi beam, to the second mode in line one, let's say it is set to Low beam, twist or loosen head slightly (with light turned On at rear clicky) and then rotate back till it tightens. In line two, to switch from say Strobe to Firefly mode just tighten head and then re-loosen. Head tight is always line one, loosened head is always line two.

There are five types of modes to choose from:

1.) Constant light- Fully customizable from 5 to 500 lumens
2.) Firefly- .1 lumen, .5 lumen and 1.5 lumen.
3.) Strobe- Blinking light from 1 to 50 Hz
4.) S.O.S.- Sends distress signal at 70% brightness in Morse Code.
5.) Beacon- Flashes once every seven seconds at 10% brightness for up to 30 days.

There are three types of Battery Stabilization available.

Full- Light runs constantly until the battery runs out. (Drops to 25% before going out).

Semi- Light dims as battery becomes depleted.

Step- Light steps down gradually as battery runs out of juice.

Factory presets are available and the Military preset should be the default preset from factory. (My light was not set up that way.) The two factory presets are Military and Outdoor. There is also a Custom preset for user settings.

Military:

First Line: Hi (500 lm), Low (5 Lm) then Medium (100 lm). (Only three modes) (Full sta*bil*i*za*tion)

Second Line: Strobe (15 Hz) and firefly (Semi Stabilization)

Outdoor (I'm guessing Outdoor is set up very non-offensive for camp* grounds):

First Line: Medium (350lm), low (65 lm) (Semi)

Second Line: Strobe (15 Hz), Low (5 lm) and Firefly (1.5 lm) (Semi)

Custom:

Save your custom settings here. (To save settings, use clicky Off/on.)

Since this light may be used with CR123a batteries, or RCR 123s, or 18650s, or 18650 LiFePO4s, the light should be told which batteries you are run*ning.

On each Line you must choose to turn Auto Memorization on or off. If on, the light will return to the mode you were in after you turn off the light. If off, the light will turn on at the first mode of that respective Line.

-------------------------

To customize the brightness of a particular mode in Line One:

Go to the specific mode you want to customize, then, (With light On) loosen head slightly (to break contact), pause (till second line turns on) then retighten head back to line one and turn light off and on at rear clicky. The light will immediately start into the three very low firefly modes, then it will start slowly ramping up becoming brighter and brighter. Light flashes twice at 25% then again flashes twice at 50% then again at 75 and 100%. At which time it will start over again.
At any point in that sequence, just confirm what you want by a slight, brief twist: loosen and tighten. That confirms your selection and the light exits the setup phase. To pause the action, just 'loosen, tighten'. To restart the operation, just do a quick on/off at the clicky.

To fully customize your Flashlight as well as lines One and Two: start from the Second Line (light on). Tighten, pause till it converts to the first line, loosen again then quickly click off and on. From this point the light will go into Programming mode and prepare to give you a list of options:

Option 1.) Brightness and mode selection for Line Two. Light starts to ramp up brightness starting in firefly mode... then switches to Strobe. If Strobe is selected, a sub-menu will appear where you choose how fast or slow you want the strobe. Then it moves to Beacon and then SOS.

Option 2.) Reset to Factory Defaults.

1.) Military
2.) Outdoor
3.) Custom

Option 3.) Power Source

1.) Tw0 Cr123A
2.) One 18650
3.) Two R123
4.) One 18650 LiFePO4

Option 4.) First Line set-up

1.) Number of Modes

1.) One mode
2.) Light flashes up to 10 times. You pick the number of Modes you want.

2.) Auto Memorization

1.) On (Default setting)
2.) Off

3.) Stabilization

1.) Full (Default)
2.) Semi
3.) Stepped

Option 5.) Second Line set-up

1.) Modes

1.) One mode
2.) More than one mode. Light blinks from one to five times, and you pick the number of modes.

2.) Auto- Memorization

1.) On (Default)
2.) Off

3.) Stabilization

1.) Full
2.) Semi
3.) Stepped

So once in Programming mode the light blinks one time representing Option One. To select that option, just twist twist (tighten then loosen slightly). If not and you wish to move on to option two, just click the rear clicky off and on one time. The light flashes two times (for option 2). Click Off and On again the light flashes three times etc...

Once you select an option the light will blink once, then pause and blink twice etc... It is asking you which sub-option you want to select. To confirm a sub-option (if applicable) just a little 'tighten then loosen'. It is quite simple.

Whenever options or sub-options are selected, the light automatically exits the programming mode and you start anew. Making it necessary to tighten- pause, loosen, then off/on and your back in programming mode for round two.

This light can tell you your current voltage at any given time. Simply twist and pause twist and pause again from either mode, then twist-twist again quickly, Off/on and the light will flash: 5 times then three times is 5.3 volts. 3 time then 2 times would be 3.2 volts...

Turning light off at any time will exit set-up without saving selections.

Warning: As with any LED Flashlight, batteries used at one time must be equal in voltage. If not, one battery could charge or discharge the other and the results could be explosive. Exercise caution.